The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
re20 though minime Condenser Microphones
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

re20 though minime

I'm currently using an at4060 to minime clocked and spdif to my 002 for vox. The vocalist I'm working with comes out sounding perfect when he signs but when rapping just doesn't seem to sit right and he seems to come on to hot on the mic. So i was wondering if a dynamic mic would be a better option for this either a re20 or shure SM7B. But can the minime pre's handle it?
Old 16th August 2007
RE20's don't really do it for me with rappers. They're a little dull and woofy for contemporary, pop-oriented rap. I'd go with the SM7 (also a bit on the dark side, but seems to take EQ better, and sounds really cool when compressed).

Anyway, if you think the RE20 is the right sound for the vocalist, the minime should be a fine pairing in terms of gain.

TLM 170 might be a good thing to try, or maybe the stripped-down version of it...I think the model number is TLM 127 or 123 or something.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the feedback.... I just always thought the re20 was the ultimate goto for dynamic but that's good you helped me clear that up. Being that the minime is transparent is that going to make my vox harsh?
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've never seen anyone record vox for music with a RE-20. Not saying that it doesn't happen, but you'll see those mics on way more kick drums than any vocals.

The 4060 kicks ass for rap. I know...I have one. If the rapper's voice is too hot, try having him back up a bit. Use the pop filter to set the distance and tell him to get up on it.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think the Shure SM7-B would be a better option. Other candidates would be a Neumann U87 and Soundelux U99 (the old one).

A very good pre and from the "cheaper" camp is the Vintage Design M73D MK2, which is a Neve 1073 clone (without equalizer)...: vintagedesign

A little off-topic:

How good are the Mini Me converters?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

t.dizzle, what do you hook your AT4060 to (pre) ?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Zacchino, what is the specific problem happening with the AT4060 when the artist is rapping?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
I've never seen anyone record vox for music with a RE-20. Not saying that it doesn't happen, but you'll see those mics on way more kick drums than any vocals.

The 4060 kicks ass for rap. I know...I have one. If the rapper's voice is too hot, try having him back up a bit. Use the pop filter to set the distance and tell him to get up on it.
Jadakiss has done that on some records I heard (there are also some videoclips of him rapping in a RE20.
I think they use it for mixtape stuff mainly (D-Block Mixtapes).
Old 17th August 2007
[quote=t.dizzle;1440725]I've never seen anyone record vox for music with a RE-20. Not saying that it doesn't happen, but you'll see those mics on way more kick drums than any vocals.
quote]

stevie wonder...wu tang

the sm7 works great for me though.
the original rode nt2 while a little silibant but worked well for me 2
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
stevie wonder...wu tang
That's two...Out of thousands. I wouldn't really say that Wu's vox are sonically impressive, either. And I bet that Stevie did that back in the early 80's or something. Regardless, I didn't say that nobody records vox with a RE-20.

@Zacc - 4060 -> 737 or 4060 -> DTC

I might have to add a GTQC pretty soon. I'm enamored by it right now!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search