The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording/Tracking Chain Plugins Setup (ANALOGUE EMULATUIONS)
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 
KURAMA's Avatar
 
Recording/Tracking Chain Plugins Setup (ANALOGUE EMULATUIONS)

I can't seem to get this question answered from youtube but I've got an great idea from recent research and the question is this:

1. Which inputs are preferred while tracking vocals:
MIC > EQ & PREAMP or EQ & COMP or PREAMP & COMP OR different combo?? > INTERFACE ? (In my case, I will use plugins tho)

2. ALSO, which famous hardware emulations (plugins) do you guys prefer to use when tracking vocals? I've read on here a lot of guys are using emulations of the NEVE 1073 & 1081 (I believe), something about a 1176, 500 series, LA2A, Puigtec and a lot more! I don't really know what's the best hardware to even use for vocals but I've done some reading... Seth Firkins doesn't even go into a studio unless it has a Neve & Tubetech and that says a lot. So I know in order to achieve a sound I need to create that signal sonic going into the interface first.

3. Can someone please help me out here?
I have a RODE NT1 (black version), MOTU M2, & ASTON HALO, & treated Room

I have plugins btw too; IK, Waves, Nomad, Softube, FF, Slate, Fuse, Soundtoys, Eventide, PA, Klang etc.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Here for the gear
 
KURAMA's Avatar
 
bump for info
Old 1 week ago
  #3
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Until you know exactly what and why you missing and how you want your tracking sound to be for further mixing, I would not recommend sticking to particular plugins and "committing to tape".
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Head
 
illegal4Hunna's Avatar
I just record straight from the 1073 into the interface with no EQing. By default I have FirComp going into Pro-Q 3 going into Waves DeEsser and almost every session the artists are blown away by the sound, before it's even gone through a proper mix. Dont buy too much into gear lust bro.

For what it's worth, I used to work at a studio with an LA-2A and the IK Multimedia one is basically identical, the waveform even looks identical when you render.

That said, its the engineer that makes the sound, not the equipment. Believe that.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #5
Here for the gear
 
KURAMA's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
I just record straight from the 1073 into the interface with no EQing. By default I have FirComp going into Pro-Q 3 going into Waves DeEsser and almost every session the artists are blown away by the sound, before it's even gone through a proper mix. Dont buy too much into gear lust bro.

For what it's worth, I used to work at a studio with an LA-2A and the IK Multimedia one is basically identical, the waveform even looks identical when you render.

That said, its the engineer that makes the sound, not the equipment. Believe that.
what's crazy is that I was just reading a few of your post on here and listened to the songs you engineered bro. much respect to your craft famo, FRFR.

I'm currently ITD (In The Daw) with everything and it's becoming more of what I want today, especially with the signal chain I am using for TRACKING only


OTB: RODE > MOTU M2

Signal Chain:
1. GATE: Air Windows Gatelope (Looking for a new one tho, this one is giving me clicks and pops every second)

2. EQ: Black Rooster VPRE-73

3. COMP: TR5 Black 76

4. COMP: Black Rooster VLA-3A (will try the IK White 2A & compare)

Currently No Desser and Corrective EQ in the chain but will add in if it's not taking away from the sound I am getting right now... Any tips on how I can still make that happen?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6
Gear Head
 
illegal4Hunna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KURAMA ➡️
what's crazy is that I was just reading a few of your post on here and listened to the songs you engineered bro. much respect to your craft famo, FRFR.

I'm currently ITD (In The Daw) with everything and it's becoming more of what I want today, especially with the signal chain I am using for TRACKING only


OTB: RODE > MOTU M2

Signal Chain:
1. GATE: Air Windows Gatelope (Looking for a new one tho, this one is giving me clicks and pops every second)

2. EQ: Black Rooster VPRE-73

3. COMP: TR5 Black 76

4. COMP: Black Rooster VLA-3A (will try the IK White 2A & compare)

Currently No Desser and Corrective EQ in the chain but will add in if it's not taking away from the sound I am getting right now... Any tips on how I can still make that happen?
Much love bro!

A solid recommendation I'd throw your way is CHOW Tape Model. If nothing but for the hysteresis alone. Using that you can sort out most of the unnatural sharpness you'll get from using mics like the NT1 while still keeping the clarity alive. That's more of a mix thing but still worth mentioning.

Also since you were asking about 1073 and are using an emu of one already, definitely give SDRR2 a go. Desk mode specifically is pretty much exactly what a real 1073 sounds like, with stage 3 being what mine sounds like in the sweet spot.

That said if what you're looking for is tracking chains, I'd recommend just using as little plugins as possible. Just a pure digital compressor and some broad corrective EQ that just does an overall balance of the vocal would be my recommendation. Too much stuff and it can be finicky to adjust on the fly(which is really important) and might make it a little harder for the artist to get the right feel on their delivery. Also if you start with less, from my experience you'll get the ideal sound quicker afterwards and with less chance of overprocessing.

Why you using a gate btw? You working in an untreated room?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7
Here for the gear
 
KURAMA's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
Much love bro!

A solid recommendation I'd throw your way is CHOW Tape Model. If nothing but for the hysteresis alone. Using that you can sort out most of the unnatural sharpness you'll get from using mics like the NT1 while still keeping the clarity alive. That's more of a mix thing but still worth mentioning.

Also since you were asking about 1073 and are using an emu of one already, definitely give SDRR2 a go. Desk mode specifically is pretty much exactly what a real 1073 sounds like, with stage 3 being what mine sounds like in the sweet spot.

That said if what you're looking for is tracking chains, I'd recommend just using as little plugins as possible. Just a pure digital compressor and some broad corrective EQ that just does an overall balance of the vocal would be my recommendation. Too much stuff and it can be finicky to adjust on the fly(which is really important) and might make it a little harder for the artist to get the right feel on their delivery. Also if you start with less, from my experience you'll get the ideal sound quicker afterwards and with less chance of overprocessing.

Why you using a gate btw? You working in an untreated room?
I'm downloading the CHOW as we speak bro! Appreciate you replying with a direct response to one of the issues I ran into earlier.

And I'm most def. using the SDRR2 asap, I've just created a another signal preset chain with it to be used tomorrow.
0. GATE
1. SDRR2
2. TR5 WHITE 2A or BLACK 76 or BRA VLA-3A or CHOW TAPE
3. FABFILTER PRO Q3 or SSL E Channel
4. WAVES RDESSER

The only reason for the use of the gate is to catch computer noise, heat/ac unit when it turns on/off and also any thing else that's inevitable in my current situation to silence. It's working out so far, but atp I'm just trying everything until I finally cement a sonic sound signature I want to build on.

Also, I had a thought of actually buying a preamp/ep/comp to give life/sound to the flat smooth neutral sonics of the NT1's character, any idea or suggestion on what I should look at for the future if I decide to buy one?

I'm pretty sure I could accomplish it ITD but tracking that life instead of mixing beyond measures to create it would be a lot easier..... IN the future; I'm enjoying the curiosity at the moment for now tho
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #8
Here for the gear
 
KURAMA's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
Much love bro!

A solid recommendation I'd throw your way is CHOW Tape Model. If nothing but for the hysteresis alone. Using that you can sort out most of the unnatural sharpness you'll get from using mics like the NT1 while still keeping the clarity alive. That's more of a mix thing but still worth mentioning.

Also since you were asking about 1073 and are using an emu of one already, definitely give SDRR2 a go. Desk mode specifically is pretty much exactly what a real 1073 sounds like, with stage 3 being what mine sounds like in the sweet spot.

That said if what you're looking for is tracking chains, I'd recommend just using as little plugins as possible. Just a pure digital compressor and some broad corrective EQ that just does an overall balance of the vocal would be my recommendation. Too much stuff and it can be finicky to adjust on the fly(which is really important) and might make it a little harder for the artist to get the right feel on their delivery. Also if you start with less, from my experience you'll get the ideal sound quicker afterwards and with less chance of overprocessing.

Why you using a gate btw? You working in an untreated room?
Yo, when you got time could I send you some of my mixes I did today using the advice you gave me? It's kinda fire
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #9
Gear Addict
 
jpanderson80's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
A good engineer can work with many varied tools and get good results. I’d suggest that if an engineer desires specific tools it’s mainly for a more signature sound and/or a specific workflow.

Concerning deessers specifically, having multiple options is likely best. Some tools work well on certain offensive sounds while others don’t at that moment. TDR’s Nova, Airwindows DeBess, andmultiband compression are good.

Honestly, manual editing is a more natural start. Automation is at your hands. Then move into various tools.

There are varying schools of thought, but that’s a solid start.

The classic 1176-LA2A combo is so good for most vocals. There’s a reason it’s so classic.

The classics are excellent teachers. Beyond that, it’s all personal preference.

I’m into Tape, API pre, 550a and opto compressors. The more transformers the better.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #10
Gear Head
 
illegal4Hunna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KURAMA ➡️
Also, I had a thought of actually buying a preamp/ep/comp to give life/sound to the flat smooth neutral sonics of the NT1's character, any idea or suggestion on what I should look at for the future if I decide to buy one?

I'm pretty sure I could accomplish it ITD but tracking that life instead of mixing beyond measures to create it would be a lot easier..... IN the future; I'm enjoying the curiosity at the moment for now tho
Sorry for the late reply bro, if you wanted something to compliment the NT1 I'd say a real 1073 is a pretty solid option, you'll find if you **** with the gain there's a sweet spot where it'll mellow out the top end and thicken the low mids a bit but retain the clarity. It's usually the spot where if you click it up a notch it's too muddy, but click it down it's too crispy.

And feel free to send thru the tracks my g 🔥
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 686 views: 127461
Avatar for Paul D
Paul D 1st March 2013
replies: 221 views: 39238
Avatar for Krush411
Krush411 25th February 2014
replies: 52 views: 12477
Avatar for voiceoversteve
voiceoversteve 30th October 2019
replies: 107 views: 30234
Avatar for illsoulprod
illsoulprod 8th August 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump