The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Melodic Rap Mic in 2021 Engineers Drool About
Old 15th January 2021
Here for the gear

Best Melodic Rap Mic in 2021 Engineers Drool About

Hello,
So far I've bought 3 microphones that I didn't like and I returned all of them
I've returned ecm 87 Lauten 220 fet and Lewitt 440 pure
I like my AT 2020 but it has too much of a liquid low end that isn't the worst but I think a solid(dry) low end would be better, it doesn't have to be dead dry but that will help definitely, the AT 2020 has excellent midrange but the top end isn't enough in volume and the results turn out to be too vintage specially with minimal eq, listening to it it has a semi sharp dryness to the signal that is not of high quality and I prefer something that doesn't have that, I have a C214 which has too much dryness elevated in the low end and mids and it makes the vocals sound trash to my ears but aside from that it's an okay microphone.
I still prefer the 2020 over the mics that I demod, the ecm 87 was a bit better but no way 2.5 the cost better, the ecm had not enough life to the sound and midrange sounded in a way that the pickup wasn't of high quality, the 220 fet had a very unpleasant boost in the lows followed by a fet distortion around 2300 which was too unwelcoming sounding
the Lewitt 440 pure sounded like a phone microphone, not for everyone

I want a microphone where the pickup of the vocals are exactly like they are rapped instead of them being altered in the way that they are picked up, what I suspect to be best is a natural frequency response with elevation only at 12 kHz up, maybe a boost at 4-5 kHz as well and absolutely flat aside that.
Something that takes eq extremely well and a mic for rap that just leaves no discussion for you from how the inside of the signal sounds when you're putting it on a mixing and mastering chain, no surprises just a semi smooth yet preserving transients sound with natural tone or a tone that compliments any male voice and it sounds full of life and my budget is around 300 dollars, maybe I'll go up to around 500 but 300 is my comfort zone maybe I'll go up to 700 pulling up a miracle but it has to be absolutely worth it, I think there should be one microphone that is very close to what I want from all the microphones that are out there.
What I'm not sure about is maybe it would be good if the mic also had a boost around 8-9-10 khz as well but not 11 not 7 not 6, 12 and up maybe up to 19-18 and a 4 to 5 K boost as well maybe maybe just maybe a 3k boost but it's extremely hard to pull with microphones if they had a 3k boost from what I think but it might sound nice

Any suggestions?

Here is my results with the AT 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_NV...q5qgfw&index=3

Listen to my voice, see what you got
Old 15th January 2021
Here for the gear

UPDATE,
It turned out to be the wrong eq on Lauten 220 and ecm 87, they are both more than usable
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just use the Slate VM-1 and call it a day. I've owned or used the U87, U67, C12, C800, 251, etc....

It's so close it doesn't matter..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Don't overthink it bro. Nowadays it's just not feasible or sensible to **** around with testing a bunch of different mics with an artist. Just get a good all-rounder and find out how to max it.

I'm using a cheap NT2-A and people are always blown away by the sound. It's feeding a 1073, but peeps were trippin before I got that anyways. So long as the capture is clean and the room is well-behaved, it's just down to what you do in the mix after that.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
Don't overthink it bro. Nowadays it's just not feasible or sensible to **** around with testing a bunch of different mics with an artist. Just get a good all-rounder and find out how to max it.

I'm using a cheap NT2-A and people are always blown away by the sound. It's feeding a 1073, but peeps were trippin before I got that anyways. So long as the capture is clean and the room is well-behaved, it's just down to what you do in the mix after that.
can you link us to your music now and before you got the 1073?
Gear Head

Sure, I got a before and after with the same artist. Mixing style is pretty different between tracks tho

Before: https://youtu.be/yyqcthSeIhc
After: https://youtu.be/2bjR7JK86oo
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sure, I got a before and after with the same artist. Mixing style is pretty different between tracks tho

Before: https://youtu.be/yyqcthSeIhc
After: https://youtu.be/2bjR7JK86oo
Damn, which interface did you use with the before and after?
Gear Head

Both are just using a Scarlett 2i4 mk2, only difference is the second track is using the 1073
With the exception of the 1073 it's a pretty cheap recording chain but the sound is all that matters 🔥
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Both are just using a Scarlett 2i4 mk2, only difference is the second track is using the 1073
With the exception of the 1073 it's a pretty cheap recording chain but the sound is all that matters 🔥
Nice and all of the songs on

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7U...yxstupQ/videos

is simply a focusrite & Rode Nt2a?
Quote:
Dope

Did you track mix and master all that ?

It’s a nice mix ....clean and it bumps still

And the song is decent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by T E C H N I C A ➡️
Nice and all of the songs on

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7U...yxstupQ/videos

is simply a focusrite & Rode Nt2a?
Not everything on there was done by me but everything he credits me on was done thru the same setup, yeah.

Also most of those tracks are demo's but hey if the man wants to pay for demos I aint complaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman ➡️
Dope

Did you track mix and master all that ?

It’s a nice mix ....clean and it bumps still

And the song is decent
Cheers my g, yeah I did everything except the beat
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Haha, ty man. I love hearing good music that was recorded through cheap mics & focusrite. I'll check those other songs out in a bit.
Quote:
Cheers my g, yeah I did everything except the beat ������������
Yes bro good work , respect

Where are You based ?
Gear Head

I'm in Sydney bro
I actually thought you were gonna say Memphis or Atlanta bro

Keep up the good work