The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you ever worry about this???
Old 28th November 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Do you ever worry about this???

I just started posting beats online and got my first sale a few weeks ago. Maybe this sounds crazy, but do you guys ever worry about creating a beat that's the same as let's say a "Future" beat (and you don't realize it) and then getting sued for it? I feel like I hear about this a lot with the Blurred Lines lawsuit and the Dark Horse lawsuit. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen?
Old 29th November 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
but do you guys ever worry about creating a beat that's the same as let's say a "Future" beat
Nope no way, because the music/beat you made was made first and you have a time stamp on your hard drive to prove it.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Nope no way, because the music/beat you made was made first and you have a time stamp on your hard drive to prove it.
time stamp on the hard drive as evidence? I doubt that this would work out.

peace
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
time stamp on the hard drive as evidence? I doubt that this would work out.

peace
Meta Data has been used in the courts for years and decades now. It is very submissible for evidence.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
  #5
Moderator
 
Bender412's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Nope no way, because the music/beat you made was made first and you have a time stamp on your hard drive to prove it.

I don't think that's what he's asking. He said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wba1597 View Post
...do you guys ever worry about creating a beat that's the same as let's say a "Future" beat (and you don't realize it) and then getting sued for it?...
It seems clear to me that he's talking about inadvertently creating something similar to something that's already been released. In which case his time stamp info wouldn't matter, since his beat wouldn't have been "made first."


OP, I wouldn't worry about inadvertently creating something the "same" as something that came before it. It would have to be extremely similar (like beyond coincidence) in order to be sued for it. Yes, it's conceivable, but highly unlikely. If it would happen, you'd just have to do your best to prove that it was purely coincidental. But that would be hard to prove if it was a hit song or a well-known artist.
Old 1st December 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
It seems clear to me that he's talking about inadvertently creating something similar to something that's already been released.
I just go by what he wrote and he wrote "creating a future' beat"
Quote:
do you guys ever worry about creating a beat that's the same as let's say a "Future" beat
Then why did he word it this way? "create a beat that is the same as a future beat"

Wouldn't he have used the word 'past' instead of the word 'future'?
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
  #7
Moderator
 
Bender412's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
I just go by what he wrote and he wrote "creating a future' beat"

Then why did he word it this way? "create a beat that is the same as a future beat"

Wouldn't he have used the word 'past' instead of the word 'future'?
He was talking about Future, the artist.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
He was talking about Future, the artist.
Future artists suing him for something he came up with first? That is a lot of worrying, yea?
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
  #9
Moderator
 
Bender412's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Future artists suing him for something he came up with first? That is a lot of worrying, yea?
OK I'm starting to think you're joking. Hmm
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Future artists suing him for something he came up with first? That is a lot of worrying, yea?
Lol
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Meta Data has been used in the courts for years and decades now. It is very submissible for evidence.
I'm shocked your courts allow such a weak evidence.

peace
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815;15****42
I'm shocked your courts allow such a weak evidence.

peace
The best justice system in the world. By our piers, judged by our pier!! Everyone registered to vote will be called for jury duty to judge our piers. The freaking best system ever!!!
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
  #13
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
The best justice system in the world. By our piers, judged by our pier!! Everyone registered to vote will be called for jury duty to judge our piers. The freaking best system ever!!!
One of your rights when you go to trial for a criminal offense is that you get to have a jury of your peers.
Old 18th December 2020 | Show parent
  #14
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
The best justice system in the world. By our piers, judged by our pier!! Everyone registered to vote will be called for jury duty to judge our piers. The freaking best system ever!!!
*peers.

And "Future" is an artist name...you know that right?!
Old 18th December 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
*peers.
Exchanging and E for an I doesn't change it from being the best and doesn't add anything either or it is iether.
Old 19th December 2020 | Show parent
  #16
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Exchanging and E for an I doesn't change it from being the best and doesn't add anything either or it is iether.
Your whole reply seems to be confused though - are you or are you not aware he’s referring to someone specific?!
Old 19th December 2020 | Show parent
  #17
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Your whole reply seems to be confused though - are you or are you not aware he’s referring to someone specific?!
He 100% knows lol.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump