The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for sound advice from a Analog heart!
Old 9th July 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Justice's Avatar
 

Looking for sound advice from a Analog heart!

The biggest problem I have with Digital is that I can not EQ on the fly.

Meaning when I am at a studio with a console I use the EQ's and Compression while I am creating the beat.

I dont like digital filters or any of that kinda stuff I want 16-24 channel of analog EQ and dynamics at my finger tips with 0 latancy.

What am I looking for?

Primal gear is my fav place to look for consoles and I am truly looking at a SSL. You would be suprised at the prices these days and the service they offer is great.

My only concern is maintance.

What I am looking for also has to have charater. IF you listen to Amy Winehouse's CD it sounds like it was mixed on a British Board with lots of live sound.

That is the direction I am going and want a sound that has a original feel to it.

I dont know if her project was mixed ITB or OTB but that sound is HOT!!!!! If it is ITB, what the hell did they use?

Whats out there? and I dont want a Ghost.

Thanks!
Old 9th July 2007
  #2
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
The biggest problem I have with Digital is that I can not EQ on the fly.
Of course you can... I use EQ plugins while making beats all the time.
Old 9th July 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Justice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Of course you can... I use EQ plugins while making beats all the time.

going through a AD converter??

What are you using Pro-Tools? If so, another reason for me to go that way...

bUT, what about Nuendo? With a firewire card? MOTU 828MKII? It works for my style and I can export it to work with Pro-Tools...

What would be nice is if MOTU offered a Digital mixer with EQ and dynamics...

That I would be very interested in......
Old 9th July 2007
  #4
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
going through a AD converter??

What are you using Pro-Tools? If so, another reason for me to go that way...

bUT, what about Nuendo? With a firewire card? MOTU 828MKII? It works for my style and I can export it to work with Pro-Tools...

What would be nice is if MOTU offered a Digital mixer with EQ and dynamics...

That I would be very interested in......
I use Logic and use EQ plugins whether going through an AD converter or using virtual instruments. Something like the URS stuff doesn't add any additional delay. Try a demo with your own setup... I'm sure the UAD adds delay, though...
Old 9th July 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
I stopped EQing or mixing at all until the beat was laid out and it helped me a ton. I'm really into the unmixed version sounding hot on it's own after spending a lot of time in the studio with a friend who's premixes sound ****ing amazing.

That being said if you have plugs on, in Cubase there is a PDC button you can hit when you are tracking and it kills all the plugs with delay until you hit it again.
Old 9th July 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Justice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
I stopped EQing or mixing at all until the beat was laid out and it helped me a ton. I'm really into the unmixed version sounding hot on it's own after spending a lot of time in the studio with a friend who's premixes sound ****ing amazing.

That being said if you have plugs on, in Cubase there is a PDC button you can hit when you are tracking and it kills all the plugs with delay until you hit it again.

I still lay everything dry on tape, opppssss excuses me, ITB. But I like to be able to build and flip flop back and forth. If I use the PDC button will it send the signal to the AD converts EQed?

I will give it a try.

So it should be the same for Nuendo right?
Old 9th July 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Justice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I use Logic and use EQ plugins whether going through an AD converter or using virtual instruments. Something like the URS stuff doesn't add any additional delay. Try a demo with your own setup... I'm sure the UAD adds delay, though...
will do.

Imma start with the 88 eq that will be fun if it works!

I'm excited!
Old 10th July 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I use Logic and use EQ plugins whether going through an AD converter or using virtual instruments. Something like the URS stuff doesn't add any additional delay. Try a demo with your own setup... I'm sure the UAD adds delay, though...
it's compensated for if you use SX.....i think logic has automatic PDC as well. and even if the host doesn't, you can use the UAD delay plug to offset any of that.
Old 10th July 2007
  #9
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
it's compensated for if you use SX.....i think logic has automatic PDC as well. and even if the host doesn't, you can use the UAD delay plug to offset any of that.
But with the UAD, will the latency be noticed while you are making the beat?

That's the question. Because even with the delay plug, it may do funny things... We shall find out.
Old 10th July 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Versatile255's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I use Logic and use EQ plugins whether going through an AD converter or using virtual instruments. Something like the URS stuff doesn't add any additional delay. Try a demo with your own setup... I'm sure the UAD adds delay, though...
tony id like to hear some of your work where can i hear it mostly beats.
Old 10th July 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Versatile255's Avatar
 

i found your myspace i hear the music on the highprofile page is that your beats or no.
Old 10th July 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
boodah's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Of course you can... I use EQ plugins while making beats all the time.
Hey Tony, let me know when you've got your hands on the API plugs via Waves. I'm interested on how they stand up, specifically the eqs. I'm contemplating on whether to go the way of a rack product ala the buzz audio MPE1.1 or vsti's via plugs.
Old 10th July 2007
  #13
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile255 View Post
i found your myspace i hear the music on the highprofile page is that your beats or no.
Yeah, those are my beats...

I think one of them is a freestyle over another artist's instrumental, though... They're just some tracks to put up and let people know I actually make beats, and Jae Jump is a rapper, etc. None of those tracks have even been mixed.... I figure myspace screws up the audio so bad, why bother.. they are just mixtape tracks.

I have some mixing projects being mastered by Chris Athens that will showcase my mixing abilities...
Old 10th July 2007
  #14
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodah View Post
Hey Tony, let me know when you've got your hands on the API plugs via Waves. I'm interested on how they stand up, specifically the eqs. I'm contemplating on whether to go the way of a rack product ala the buzz audio MPE1.1 or vsti's via plugs.
I got them... I can post my thoughts later tonight when I have a free minute.

I've already used them on a couple of mixes.
Old 10th July 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
But with the UAD, will the latency be noticed while you are making the beat?

That's the question. Because even with the delay plug, it may do funny things... We shall find out.
nah.....you don't notice it at all. i work like that in FL all day. it's fine.
Old 10th July 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
So it should be the same for Nuendo right?
Yep. I always would hit that button before tracking if I had plugs going on.
Old 10th July 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Justice's Avatar
 

(PDC) what does that stand for?
Old 10th July 2007
  #18
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodah View Post
Hey Tony, let me know when you've got your hands on the API plugs via Waves. I'm interested on how they stand up, specifically the eqs. I'm contemplating on whether to go the way of a rack product ala the buzz audio MPE1.1 or vsti's via plugs.
OK... So far, I think they are good plugins.

The thing that bothers me, is that they tried to replicate the hardware right down to the fixed boost/ cut settings. My feeling is, it's a plugin and you don't need to recall them like a hardware EQ... They should be fully adjustable. Fixed frequencies are fine, but I would want continuously adjustable boost/ cut.

Other than that, I think they are pretty good. Just like any plugin, it's not a replacement for the hardware. But, they are another cool flavor to have in the plugin folder.
Old 10th July 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
(PDC) what does that stand for?
Plug-in Delay Compensation
Old 10th July 2007
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
I dont like digital filters or any of that kinda stuff I want 16-24 channel of analog EQ and dynamics at my finger tips with 0 latancy.!
Your only options are an SSL or a modern Neve.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
What am I looking for?.!
Read above.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
What I am looking for also has to have charater. IF you listen to Amy Winehouse's CD it sounds like it was mixed on a British Board with lots of live sound.

!

SSL's aren't known for their character.

And with the Amy Winehouse CD its hard to hear anything since its been smashed to pieces.

What you do hear are the musical arrangements are done to evoke some nostalgia.
Old 10th July 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Justice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Your only options are an SSL or a modern Neve.





Read above.





SSL's aren't known for their character.

And with the Amy Winehouse CD its hard to hear anything since its been smashed to pieces.

What you do hear are the musical arrangements are done to evoke some nostalgia.
I saw that in the mastering forum, been getting a lot of heat for that..

I have seen people talking bac about the levels....

and after listening to it again on good monitors......

I really see your point.

So it was all great arrangment.

I hear that too.

was it mixed ITB or Out do we know?
Old 10th July 2007
  #22
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
I'm really into the unmixed version sounding hot on it's own
thumbsup
Old 10th July 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
I am truly looking at a SSL. You would be suprised at the prices these days
$60,000 to +$100,000 is a lot of dough, yo.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
bluemoon / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
0
fivedoor / Low End Theory
1
fivedoor / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2
fivedoor / Low End Theory
1
RainbowStorm / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump