The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you only had Senny HD 280 Pros
Old 3 weeks ago
If you only had Senny HD 280 Pros

How would you mix and master?

This is my situation. I have a pair of the JBLs but my neighbors hate any bass at any time. I try to listen to music on youtube through the phones to learn them, then I have some typical things I do in my mix, for instance I know I need to go a little lighter on bass than I want and snares should be a little louder than i think to translate.

Also, unplug and check on the laptop speakers sometimes. Then ipod buds, then iphone speaker, then the car.

Any other tips? This is about all I can do huh?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbeats View Post

This is my situation. I have a pair of the JBLs but my neighbors hate any bass at any time. I try to listen to music on youtube through the phones to learn them, then I have some typical things I do in my mix, for instance I know I need to go a little lighter on bass than I want and snares should be a little louder than i think to translate.

Also, unplug and check on the laptop speakers sometimes. Then ipod buds, then iphone speaker, then the car.

Reference the mix to your favorite songs
listen on other devices
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaztotheUla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agbeats View Post

Reference the mix to your favorite songs
listen on other devices
yep, solid advice and seems to do alright. Are there any courses? Im up on pensados place thats like one of my favorite youtubes but anything more structured? I guess its just time and practice to find your mixing sound...

my biggest rough spot right now is snares for sure...well i mean to me at least im sure a lot more parts are rough lol
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just a hobbyist here- but I mix only on headphones, because of family/living space/young kids etc.

I couldn’t mix without using these,-

Waves Abbey Road Studio 3

This is absolutely vital to me for mixing, it brings a headphone mix SO MUCH closer to what you’ll hear from speakers.

Sonarworks

If you’re using headphones you NEED to correct for their frequency imbalances.

Izotope Tonal Balance.

For me, this is so valuable...it will immediately tell you if your mix isn’t balanced correctly...this can save you HOURS of messing around with mixing balances.

These three plugins live at the end of my mix bus.
📝 Reply