The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Personal Recording Studio Question
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Personal Recording Studio Question

What's good everyone?
I'm building a personal recording studio and am looking for advice. While I am not a novice, I still have much to learn. Below I have listed the hardware, software and treatment. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar set up or can offer advice how to maximize to full potential? - Or if I need to add any additional pieces to my set up?

UA Apollo Twin
Avalon-VT 737 Tube Preamp (Main plug-in while recording)
Nuemann TLM 49
Yamaha HS8 Monitors
DAWS: Pro Tools and Waves Diamond Bundle

The control room will be treated with bass traps, wedge foam and sound panels.
The vocal booth will be treated with the Auralex Roominator Kit and sound panels.
Both the control room and vocal booth will have heavy rugs.

- Thank you
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
That all looks fine. Spend the effort researching room treatment - that's where people typically fall short. You can make great records in horrible rooms, but it is definitely easier in a good room. I would suggest you build ALL of your room treatment DIY. It is VERY easy to outperform the vast majority of stuff out on the market for 1/20th of the price. And it pays to learn exactly what you need to build, where to put it, etc. Huge difference.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Adding the HS8S sub to your HS8 monitors will improve your monitoring system extremely. There’s a setting on the sub that will(or not) cut anything below 80-100-120hz from being sent to your HS8 monitors which frees up your monitors from doing all that heavy lifting(allows for achieving better mixes imo).

Adding the HS8S sub to your HS8 monitors makes your setup feel like you upgraded to brand new monitors and not just a sub, for real.

Also getting sub treatment/pad for the sub to sit on also helps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

it looks like a good setup.

i would add a subwoofer. you should be good-to-go for a while with that setup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I would not add a sub. I have HS80M speakers which are nearly identical to the HS8 ones (they removed a few features in the HS8s for cost cutting to hit the same price point). If you can't get the sub lows, then it’s a problem with the acoustics in the room – or you just like crazy amounts of bass. Subs are much more complicated that most people think. They are difficult to set up and avoid phase problems with the speakers. Using a sub for music requires two of them and a lot of careful measuring of distances. They also require a very well tuned room to avoid making bass problems worse than they already are (and they are probably already bad). 90% of pros screw it up and 110% of amateurs screw it up. Now if you want a sub just because you are making beats and you need that just to get in the zone and vibe out, then go for it. Or if you just want it to impress clients, go for it. Or if you do a lot of 5.1 mixing for film/etc. But if you think it’s going to make your monitoring more accurate, you are almost certainly going to make things worse unless you study up.

Last edited by chris carter; 3 weeks ago at 09:51 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I would not add a sub. I have HS80M speakers which are nearly identical to the HS8 ones (they removed a few features in the HS8s for cost cutting to hit the same price point). If you can get the sub lows, then it’s a problem with the acoustics in the room – or you just like crazy amounts of bass. Subs are much more complicated that most people think. They are difficult to set up and avoid phase problems with the speakers. Using a sub for music requires two of them and a lot of careful measuring of distances. They also require a very well tuned room to avoid making bass problems worse than they already are (and they are probably already bad). 90% of pros screw it up and 110% of amateurs screw it up. Now if you want a sub just because you are making beats and you need that just to get in the zone and vibe out, then go for it. Or if you just want it to impress clients, go for it. Or if you do a lot of 5.1 mixing for film/etc. But if you think it’s going to make your monitoring more accurate, you are almost certainly going to make things worse unless you study up.
this can be the case as with any speakers or room, but I agree a sub can add more problems then help. Although when using the HS8S paired with HS8's tastefully, as in around 12'O clock as the manual states, along with the HS8s monitors around 12' O clock and about 3 feet away from any wall, plus centered(although people think its not as important) between the monitors it shouldn't be much of a problem, unless you're already having problems in the room with the HS8's themselves. That sub works very nicely and transparent when paired at 12 O' clock and applying tasteful mixing levels, sounds really nice, and even when pushed when everything is set together at 12' O clock and pushed still imo holds similar to having the just the HS8s themselves, just more open and tighter low end.

it's only an 8" cone, there's not much of a difference as far as extreme thump that comes through when they're paired like that, it just free's up the 8" cones on the monitors to focus above 80-100-120Hz, while the sub focus on those frequencies, some extra thump yes but more so just feels like it opens everything up.

I wouldn't say this is the case for every sub and monitor setup, but the HS8's and HS8S are extremely forgiving and work very well together.

EDIT: This is just my experience when using them, not saying its gospel.
📝 Reply