The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Broken microphone?
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

Broken microphone?

Hey guys, I have my own in-home studio with some mid level gear and i'm trying to track down a microphone issue... my last few tracks have been pretty ass sounding and after hours of mixing I went back and solo'd all the vocals without any effects because I truly have made every change I could...

well guess what? the acapella's sound like absolute ****, it sounds like im a tin box... and i'm using a NUEMAN TLM 102 going through a Warm Audio 73 Single Channel British Preamp....

So I asked myself... wait, is my microphone actually just broken? So I decided to swap my TLM in for my Blue Bluebird microphone and it sounds all crisp and fine and actually even more up front and clear? Yet the blue bluebird is way cheaper and actually a worse mic?

Is it possible for a mic to "break" but not actually stop working, just deteriorate in quality?

Is my neuman TLM broken?

I've provided two recordings below of me talking on BOTH mics and you can CLEARLY hear the difference..

Nueman Mic (presumably broken?): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RwJ...ew?usp=sharing

Bluebird: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZxQ...ew?usp=sharing

SAME VOLUME SETTINGS ON THE PREAMP
SAME FL STUDIO SETTINGS
SAME EVERYTHING!

Thanks for reading.
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

Also.. a bit of observation... from what I hear it SOUNDS like the nueman is picking up way more background noise and less of ME upfront.. while the bluebird is the opposite.. nearly SILENT background
📝 Reply