The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Budget friendly speakers that will excite?
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Addict

Budget friendly speakers that will excite?

Hey all. I currently run a 5” pair of KH120’s for mixing, but here lately, I’ve been dabbling in more production. Producing on these monitors isn’t what I would call “exciting”...nor inspiring. They’re super clinical(which is great for mixing), but I want to have some fun. So, I’m wondering about some 8” monitors that will fill this void. They don’t have to be super flat, or good for mixing; just something that will allow for more fun during the production process That being said, I’d like to at least stick to reference monitors, because I’d rather my productions translate decent into the mixing phase....but being highly accurate, not a priority. Also not worried about them being “colored”...as that’s actually sort of preferred!

Any suggestions out there?

Last edited by LeoRapture; 6th September 2020 at 07:44 AM..
Old 6th September 2020
I always partial to JBL's and Focal Studio monitors. JBL maybe a little more budget-friendly, especially for the 8" ones.
The JBL 308P MKII is under $400 for a pair.
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Nut

Leo, get the production to excite you, not the monitors.

We strive for super accurate clinical monitors. I have the 120As as well and mix happily on them.
However, I do know where you're coming from.

Is the budget an issue? Because I know what I'd get if I could drop a few gees...
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Maniac

If you want monitors to jam on during the production phase and still have a nice reference mix using monitors which are reasonably priced. I would say the JBL308p MKII. I use a combination of the JBL308p MKII/Yamaha NS-10M in my setup. I use the JBL's for production/tracking and heavy lifting during mixing, and the NS-10Ms for detailed mixing and eq.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

JBL 308P or LSR 308 will prob do the trick nicely!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
JBL 308P or LSR 308 will prob do the trick nicely!
I was going to suggest JBLs - many have beaten me to it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'm sorry but the JBLs around the same price point as the Yamaha HS series sound extremely dull(to me), some people love them but the Yamahas sound so much nicer.

A pair of HS8's with the HS8S(SUBwoofer) is the best speaker set up you can buy for the money, comes to around $1200(two 8 inch monitors and a SUB) retail after tax but you can haggle 15% to 20% off if you get them all, so around a grand.

I can't believe how damn amazing and EXCITING they sound, especially when the sub is set to cut anything below a 100hz being sent to the monitors and it frees up so much room for those cones to work, but they sound great without the sub as well, same with the HS7 and HS5, the HS series sounds neutral and natural but exciting, while the JBLs sound neutral and flat, but more muffled(to me at least).

HS8 and HS8S

Old 3 weeks ago
mp3
Lives for gear

I think KRK Rokits make a great second pair of monitors. To me the things that make them decent to poor mixing monitors (overly punchy, boomy bass, crowded mids, etc.) make them good production speakers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

maybe get a sub. it will make the mixing more fun and more accurate. you are missing tons of bass with small woofers. you can turn up the subwoofer to get monster kick drums, then dial it down to normal when making mix decisions.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Used JBL 28p
📝 Reply