The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hip Hop producers stop buying kits, and learn to engineer.
Old 29th August 2020
Hip Hop producers stop buying kits, and learn to engineer.

Just my 2. I find it better learn to make your own kits. Improve your musicianship etc. Learn how to mix your own beats, record vocals etc. I would also learn how to make your own loops. Forget using illmind, frank duke and other kits. No point in having to clear with them, when you can make your own. Get with some young musicians at local music schools near you.
Old 29th August 2020
Here for the gear

Everyone has their own ways to produce. Anyone's musicianship is not up to where they sample from.

It's good to hear that you like to create your loops with kids from local schools but my approach is different. I can't see why yours would be better.

Hiphop has never been about who is the best engineer or who can compose the best. It's always been about using your creativity. There is no barriers, anything goes. I find it somewhat disgusting that some kid in the internet tries to tell what should be done to create hiphop. Even if it's his 2 cents. Money not well spent imo.

I'm 100% with trying to improve yourselves as artists or producers but 100% against trying to tell what should be done.

I guess you would have told Dilla not to sample from records, right?

I love to sample records, it is the biggest part of getting the vibes from producing. And you should always do you, what feels the best.
Old 29th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asno B. View Post
Everyone has their own ways to produce. Anyone's musicianship is not up to where they sample from.

It's good to hear that you like to create your loops with kids from local schools but my approach is different. I can't see why yours would be better.

Hiphop has never been about who is the best engineer or who can compose the best. It's always been about using your creativity. There is no barriers, anything goes. I find it somewhat disgusting that some kid in the internet tries to tell what should be done to create hiphop. Even if it's his 2 cents. Money not well spent imo.

I'm 100% with trying to improve yourselves as artists or producers but 100% against trying to tell what should be done.

I guess you would have told Dilla not to sample from records, right?

I love to sample records, it is the biggest part of getting the vibes from producing. And you should always do you, what feels the best.
I liked sampling records years ago when DJing. I've learned to adapt with the times personally. Now I'm sampling on my ipad using Beatmaker 3. Times are great for music creation. It was important for me to be open to things in music and music technology and not be bitter that things weren't the same when I was growing up.
Old 29th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbeatz View Post
I liked sampling records years ago when DJing. I've learned to adapt with the times personally. Now I'm sampling on my ipad using Beatmaker 3. Times are great for music creation. It was important for me to be open to things in music and music technology and not be bitter that things weren't the same when I was growing up.
So now your the man to tell how hiphop should be produced?

How you are open to things when you literally are telling how things should be done?

Produce and let produce. Don't put yourself on a pedestal, your way is not better in any means.
Old 29th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asno B. View Post
So now your the man to tell how hiphop should be produced?

How you are open to things when you literally are telling how things should be done?

Produce and let produce. Don't put yourself on a pedestal, your way is not better in any means.
Of course not champ. Rock with what you know best. Cheers mate.
Old 29th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbeatz View Post
Just my 2. I find it better learn to make your own kits. Improve your musicianship etc. Learn how to mix your own beats, record vocals etc. I would also learn how to make your own loops. Forget using illmind, frank duke and other kits. No point in having to clear with them, when you can make your own. Get with some young musicians at local music schools near you.

I definitely agree with the engineering aspect. These days poorly mixed beats won't get you far as pretty much all beatmakers now have the proper tools to professionally mix.

That said people have different skill sets in production. Some people gravitate towards sound design. Others in song/music writing/composition.

And it is probably best to excel in what interests you.

That said an excellent songwriter, composer, sound designer, engineer, who can put it all together is worth millions, or more likely billions.
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Addict
i think you both are right. some can learn. some buy to adapt existing sound.

but i'm more concerned the kits being sold are just the same dam sound when it comes to drums, snare, clap.
Trap has about the same or no more than 10 kicks/800 and maybe 5-6 snares and 5-6 claps. Tons of kit selling them like it's something different. lol.
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnMix Studio View Post
i think you both are right. some can learn. some buy to adapt existing sound.

but i'm more concerned the kits being sold are just the same dam sound when it comes to drums, snare, clap.
Trap has about the same or no more than 10 kicks/800 and maybe 5-6 snares and 5-6 claps. Tons of kit selling them like it's something different. lol.
You can still make them sound different, change end or attack time, change pitch, add filters, make these change dynamics, eg with sampler modulators

I mean take a modern bass guitar, it has the same sound as the other models but how you play it will make the difference
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefaz View Post
You can still make them sound different, change end or attack time, change pitch, add filters, make these change dynamics, eg with sampler modulators

I mean take a modern bass guitar, it has the same sound as the other models but how you play it will make the difference
why buy kits to recreate if you would do that much? Just create your own.
i agree that producers can buy kits, if they don't have time or skill to tweak, an some can make their own.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Then again, not everyone wants to get into engineering fully themselves: they want to put their energy on producing music, not engineering it.
Some of the artists I work with have said they don't have time or interest to dive into engineering, and they're happy to pay me for fixing things for them.
Especially if you produce a lot, I totally get it.
📝 Reply