The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What microphone and mic pre would you buy for this kinda voice?
Old 28th August 2020
What microphone and mic pre would you buy for this kinda voice?

I've made several threads on gearslutz that wore very helpful which lead me to buy the aa cm 800t which i'm happy with for certain types of songs i make but not all.
Money isn't an issue i just want more options and I'm willing to spend.
what mics would you choose for this kinda of voice, also what preamp would you use to compliment it? i'm leading towards a cm87 which is a clone of the neumann u87 but would love to get some professional opinions from those in the business.
i normally dont do autotune style of hiphop. more of the 50cent style records

I will upload the samples below and note this is a lack luster performance as i'm just testing out my equipment and not recording serious records right now. so my voice energy and performance wasn't there.
also my mixing is average any tips would be nice.
Attached Files

raw vocals.mp3 (1.10 MB, 277 views)

raw on Instrumental (2).mp3 (1.14 MB, 256 views)

Processed Vocals.mp3 (1.15 MB, 245 views)

Processed Vocals on Instumental.mp3 (1.09 MB, 263 views)

Old 29th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onshott1 View Post
I've made several threads on gearslutz that wore very helpful which lead me to buy the aa cm 800t which i'm happy with for certain types of songs i make but not all.
Money isn't an issue i just want more options and I'm willing to spend.
what mics would you choose for this kinda of voice, also what preamp would you use to compliment it? i'm leading towards a cm87 which is a clone of the neumann u87 but would love to get some professional opinions from those in the business.
i normally dont do autotune style of hiphop. more of the 50cent style records

I will upload the samples below and note this is a lack luster performance as i'm just testing out my equipment and not recording serious records right now. so my voice energy and performance wasn't there.
also my mixing is average any tips would be nice.
I'm not a pro on the tech side, but consider myself a very seasoned in the rap side.

First, I like your laid back style. It's all there. Still you mic is the ****! ( in a good way of course!)

If you say that the energy and performance was not there, then why not to make it that way you want and then share. It'll be a win-win-win. You get practice, you hear if something is missing and we hear what you are trying to get and would be that much easier for us to make recommendations.

From this, I would say:

The mic is the bomb (I would guess that Fiddy records that are made with Dre are Sony c800g)

I like your laid back style and the music is fine. Your voice sounds good!

If you want more commercial sound, professional producer and mixing engineer would be the way to go.

Maybe put your money in professional people other than spending on gear?
Old 29th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asno B. View Post
I'm not a pro on the tech side, but consider myself a very seasoned in the rap side.

First, I like your laid back style. It's all there. Still you mic is the ****! ( in a good way of course!)

If you say that the energy and performance was not there, then why not to make it that way you want and then share. It'll be a win-win-win. You get practice, you hear if something is missing and we hear what you are trying to get and would be that much easier for us to make recommendations.

From this, I would say:

The mic is the bomb (I would guess that Fiddy records that are made with Dre are Sony c800g)

I like your laid back style and the music is fine. Your voice sounds good!

If you want more commercial sound, professional producer and mixing engineer would be the way to go.

Maybe put your money in professional people other than spending on gear?
Performance wise I have swore throat, but still playing around with the equipment cause I'm excited. I do suspect my mixing is the problem cause I havnt done producing in 7 years cause of an accident so I'm really rusty and lost a lot of time I could had been learning. I am getting a little frustrated that when I go to a professional studios my voice and songs sound the way I want them to. When I record at home I don't like the way my voice sounds. It seems amateur. But for some odd reason when I switch to my b1 behringer mic at home my songs sound more professional and I get the right performance out my voice. I'm scatching my head over it cause my new mic only sounds good to me when I make autotune type of songs.
Old 29th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onshott1 View Post
Performance wise I have swore throat, but still playing around with the equipment cause I'm excited. I do suspect my mixing is the problem cause I havnt done producing in 7 years cause of an accident so I'm really rusty and lost a lot of time I could had been learning. I am getting a little frustrated that when I go to a professional studios my voice and songs sound the way I want them to. When I record at home I don't like the way my voice sounds. It seems amateur. But for some odd reason when I switch to my b1 behringer mic at home my songs sound more professional and I get the right performance out my voice. I'm scatching my head over it cause my new mic only sounds good to me when I make autotune type of songs.
I'll bet you for anything that thr b1 would not get you that good results comparing to cm800t. But if you like it more, go with it.

If your voice sounds right at the studios, get there and blast away!

But maybe you could give your tracks for someone who can make them sound like you want them to.

Or maybe it's just your ears that are so used to how you sound on your ****ty b1. Maybe you'll grow to like the sound of aa. I like it!
Old 11th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asno B. View Post
I'll bet you for anything that thr b1 would not get you that good results comparing to cm800t. But if you like it more, go with it.

If your voice sounds right at the studios, get there and blast away!

But maybe you could give your tracks for someone who can make them sound like you want them to.

Or maybe it's just your ears that are so used to how you sound on your ****ty b1. Maybe you'll grow to like the sound of aa. I like it!
Because of covid I don't want to go to studios, I wanna do it my self cause what I've seen recording studios in my area are not covid safe.
Old 19th September 2020
I'm currently using a Townsend Sphere L22 and it's really versatile. The sound quality is professional. I'm selling some other mics now that I have this. With the Sphere and Apollo so much ground is covered.
Old 20th September 2020
1TP
Gear Head

If you sound good at studios and not at home, I'm guessing it's the actual space you're recording in and less the mixing / production. I might be wrong of course. But if you have a great mic, it's not the mic. How is your acoustic treatment?
📝 Reply