The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How does this mic do on rap vocals? Sennheiser Mk4
Old 24th August 2020
Here for the gear

How does this mic do on rap vocals? Sennheiser Mk4

I mostly record male rappers (sometimes female singers and rappers who are featured). How would the Sennheiser MK4 treat me? I don't see many discussions about this mic on rap vocals anywhere.

Thanks
Old 24th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Homie View Post
I mostly record male rappers (sometimes female singers and rappers who are featured). How would the Sennheiser MK4 treat me? I don't see many discussions about this mic on rap vocals anywhere.

Thanks
What are you going for? Whats the rest of your setup like? What kind of budget are you on? Your level of skill as an engineer?

Music is an art. There is no right or wrong answer, technically speaking. If you're trying to make a Drake record, you're gonna need a huge budget, probably a Neumann U87, and record in a real booth with gear that costs thousands for each individual piece and use top grade cables like Mogami Gold or Blue Champagne. If you're trying to make an Eminem record, you're gonna need a Sony C800 and the cleanest high-end analog and digital gear. If you're trying to make SoundCloud rapper ****, just buy the cheapest Blue USB piece of **** mic you can get and record it in whatever pirated DAW you can download and spend all your money on buying like/followers and marketing because your success has absolutely nothing to do with the awful music or sound quality in that case; your success is entirely dependent on Instagram, and Tik Tok.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

The Sennie MK4 is a very nice singing and VO mic.

Over the years, I've tried/sang through it a number of times at NAMM.
It's pretty neutral. You can certainly record Pro vocals with it.

I'm guessing the OP's budget, is up to $300.

Another approach is that you could get a "variety pack", of a neutral-ish mic/bright mic/dark-ish mic. My pick on a budget would be...
AKG P120 (black)/SE X1/Shure SM58.

Not saying this is U87ai/Ref C or Sony C800G/SM7, but this'll give you a start.

An important question, is how "treated" the OP's recording area is.

If it's not sufficiently acoustically upgraded, then IMHO it'd be better to get a quality dynamic mic, that won't "hear' the room that much.

Otherwise you can easily paint yourself into a corner, when it comes time to add Compression/etc. Also it limits how loud the vocals can be recorded, because with a strong vocalist the walls can start 'ringing".

FWIW none of the vocal clips I've shared here at GS, are with me near/at full volume, because of this issue. Gotta budget for a "real" Studio!
Chris
Old 16th September 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post

Another approach is that you could get a "variety pack", of a neutral-ish mic/bright mic/dark-ish mic. My pick on a budget would be...

If it's not sufficiently acoustically upgraded, then IMHO it'd be better to get a quality dynamic mic, that won't "hear' the room that much.

Otherwise you can easily paint yourself into a corner, when it comes time to add Compression/etc. Also it limits how loud the vocals can be recorded, because with a strong vocalist the walls can start 'ringing".

FWIW none of the vocal clips I've shared here at GS, are with me near/at full volume, because of this issue. Gotta budget for a "real" Studio!
Chris
AFAIK, most of the acoustics is linear, so the low / high volume ringing is the same in proportion to the original sound, probably more subjectively loud at higher level signal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post

Chris
I gotta agree. Just get a SM57, if you don't have a good environment. The better the mic, the more the flaws in your environment show.

My advice is: If this is actually YOU being a rapper (which is usually the case) and recording yourself and people in your group or circle, just go for "good enough". Concentrate on making better MUSIC. You're gonna be better at one or the other so why not be a better rapper. Focus on getting good at song writing, delivery, etc and keep pumping out song after song with whatever equipment doesn't hurt your wallet. When you make a song that you think is worth releasing, spend your money on STUDIO-TIME. Pay someone who's already invested in building a quality studio that lives and breathes audio engineering.
Too many rappers are trying to buy **** they hope will make them sound as good as Post Malone/JayZ/Eminem and overlook the fact that whoever they're trying to sound like pays a professional to do that. An engineer is the one thing you can't buy at Guitar Center.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Word!
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Homie View Post

Thanks
Microphones are not genre specific and they do not record genres better than others. Microphones are very personnel and what will work for you may not work for someone else. Even if they have the same exact voice.
This is because of:
1.) Everyone's personnel preferences are different
2.) Everyone's environment (room) is different
3.) Everyone's recording techniques are different
4.) Everyone's songs are different.

You will probably need to go through many mics to see what you prefer with:
1.) your room
2.) your recording techniques
3.) your songs
4.) your personnel taste
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

IMHO "some" microphones ARE somewhat Genre dependent. When's the last time you heard of someone using a 44 Ribbon on a "In Yo Face" Rap song?
And you wouldn't have thrown a Ref C (let alone a TLM103) on Sinatra.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

IMHO, I'm not a fan at all of bright mics in hiphop. There are obviously certain voices in certain situations where an NT1A, C414, or TLM103 are ideal but, generally speaking, Id recommend the smoothest warm condenser you can afford. Those are 3 of the most recommended mics for rappers. Ive used all 3 and a usually grab something else.
I'd recommend the Oktava MK319 over the NT1A for a white rapper 95% of the time.

I know this isn't the general consensus but ignore the usual recommendations and try my advice for awhile.
I wouldn't recommend the 77 but U87 is perfect. It will cut down the amount of processing you have to do to rap vocals by 1,000%. Obviously a C800G is an exception but that's because, for $20,000, it smooths those daggers to your ears down remarkably well.
I'm not recommending you spend the price of a new or even used car on one of these mics for your little home studio (I'd recommend taking that money to a pro because having pro tools doesn't make you a pro). I'm simply using a sound we're all familiar with as an example to relay the idea.
If you're on a budget, MK319 is the most slept on piece of gear out there. It was my secret weapon for years until I could afford high-end gear. My NT1A collected dust when there wasn't a singer coming in to keep it hot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

T, your last sentence-in the first paragraph is hilarious!

Agree also on the 319 being underestimated, certainly around these parts. I have one (darkest 319 I've come across) and a "bright" 219.
(eventually I may get it modded/someone like Sitler if he's still doing that then)

Not a Rap, but you can hear IMHO (what you're talking about/Smoothness) in the 319 clip below...
Chris

EDIT: For the OP, and those in a similar situation...
If you're having someone sing melodic Pop vocals, a shout out for the EV 767a as alternative/addition to 57/58.
2nd Clip below of vocal intro of Cameo's "I Wanna Be Rich".

Done in untreated/small conference room of local Coffeeshop. I even forgot to turn the loud room upright fan off!
Attached Files

Song 60oldwaysdie319final.wav (1.57 MB, 59 views)

Chris Del Faro - New Project (original) (4).mp3 (552.1 KB, 32 views)

📝 Reply