The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is hip hop gentrified?
Old 17th September 2020
m36
Here for the gear

This thread is a train wreck (But that's alright, I like all trains equally)
Old 17th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnr View Post
And how do we do that?
That's a long discussion that wouldn't be allowed on GS. It would end in a moderator having to delete an entire discussion. The closest I can come to it is saying the control over the education and employment of black people needs to be in the hands of black people, and whatever extreme we need to go to in order to make that happen should be a valid alternative to evaluate.

Even saying that is more than I should, so let's self moderate and get back to discussing the music biz.

I think all the complaints about the biz are valid, but we have more access to the tools of production than ever. If we don't like what's out there, we have to out do it. If we can't beat what's there, our opinions are still valid, but kinda worthless.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
That's a long discussion that wouldn't be allowed on GS. It would end in a moderator having to delete an entire discussion. The closest I can come to it is saying the control over the education and employment of black people needs to be in the hands of black people, and whatever extreme we need to go to in order to make that happen should be a valid alternative to evaluate.

Even saying that is more than I should, so let's self moderate and get back to discussing the music biz.

I think all the complaints about the biz are valid, but we have more access to the tools of production than ever. If we don't like what's out there, we have to out do it. If we can't beat what's there, our opinions are still valid, but kinda worthless.
That was it for this thread, I guess.
Gear Addict

They are shutting down threads over nothing, and racist fanatics get a 10 year badge.
Gear Head

@ boombapdame I sent you a pm ..I'm so disappointed in you.. If you are who you claim to be.

To the larper.

Summary.
10 year user with avatar with an offensive word. Takes offense at inoffensive comments.

I encourage you or anyone to report me to the mods. They can terminate my account & delete my contributions.

Online or offline you not fooling me.
Attached Thumbnails
Is hip hop gentrified?-gearslutz.jpg  
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
The closest I can come to it is saying the control over the education and employment of black people needs to be in the hands of black people, and whatever extreme we need to go to in order to make that happen should be a valid alternative to evaluate.
The impression I'm getting is that the problem is actually in people's heads. Almost every rap composition nowadays in some way or another revolves around getting rich, fast. I can imagine what kind of peer pressure black kids are exposed to nowadays. 'U not wearing gucci - u broke or what?' And the shiny image of fashion design brands, luxury cars, jewelry and so on is conveniently pushed alongside drug dealing opportunities. Kids put 2 and 2 together: if everybody is doing drugs why not make some money off it and get rich fast. Who needs a 9 to 5 job? To break this vicious circle rappers need to stop rapping about money and drugs, as stupid as it sounds, and we know that's not going to happen.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteusz View Post
They are shutting down threads over nothing, and racist fanatics get a 10 year badge.
It's odd that if I discuss any bit of the historic oppression of black people, you deem me the "racist fanatic"

We deal with the racism and you call me the racist if I ever discuss it.

You're looking at the US from Europe probably with little knowledge of what we've endured, but you're comfortable in your name calling.

We were fighting for rights in the 1960s that we fought for in the 1860s. And in spite of hundreds of years of economic oppression, you deem me the racist fanatic if I say that we should control our own education and employment, and not be exploited economically.

Yes, I've discussed recording here for over 10 years.
Do you have an issue with that too?

Last edited by IM WHO YOU THINK; 17th September 2020 at 09:39 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
The impression I'm getting is that the problem is actually in people's heads. Almost every rap composition nowadays in some way or another revolves around getting rich, fast. I can imagine what kind of peer pressure black kids are exposed to nowadays. 'U not wearing gucci - u broke or what?' And the shiny image of fashion design brands, luxury cars, jewelry and so on is conveniently pushed alongside drug dealing opportunities. Kids put 2 and 2 together: if everybody is doing drugs why not make some money off it and get rich fast. Who needs a 9 to 5 job? To break this vicious circle rappers need to stop rapping about money and drugs, as stupid as it sounds, and we know that's not going to happen.
We didn't just wake up at this point. The discussion is somewhat pointless when you look at today in isolation and ignore all of what brought us to this point.
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's odd that if I discuss any bit of the historic oppression of black people, you deem me the "racist fanatic"

We deal with the racism and you call me the racist if I ever discuss it.

You're looking at the US from Europe with little knowledge of what we've endured, but you're comfortable in your name calling.

Yes, I've discussed recording here for over 10 years.
Do you have an issue with that too?
Troll name, troll Avatar, I assume you're trolling?

Careful though with the hate, comes all right back at you.

This part here doesn't sound racist?

Quote:
The closest I can come to it is saying the control over the education and employment of black people needs to be in the hands of black people, and whatever extreme we need to go to in order to make that happen should be a valid alternative to evaluate.
I just decided from now on I'll stay out of anything that smells just a little political.

I don't wanna find out too much about people.

If you're just trolling or if you're the fanatic you claim to be, you'll reap what you sow.

A'ight, back to amp sims.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tific View Post
@ boombapdame I sent you a pm ..I'm so disappointed in you.. If you are who you claim to be.

To the larper.

Summary.
10 year user with avatar with an offensive word. Takes offense at inoffensive comments.

I encourage you or anyone to report me to the mods. They can terminate my account & delete my contributions.

Online or offline you not fooling me.
Never once did I call you a name in response to your name calling. I grew up in studios, I'm not easily offended and I won't be reporting you to anyone.

I didn't take offense, I simply chose not to engage further.

If you are unaware of the cultural significance of my avatar, that's your issue and not mine. (Ask Herbie Hancock)

You can drop the whole on or offline bit. You may find yourself important but I don't. I have no desire to fool you.
The whole "delete my contributions" because a guy on the internet chose not to engage me further bit is kinda pitiful.

Again, I owe you nothing and I ask nothing of you.
I didn't like your tone and I decided you're not someone I want to discuss music with.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteusz View Post
Troll name, troll Avatar, I assume you're trolling?

Careful though with the hate, comes all right back at you.

This part here doesn't sound racist?

I just decided from now on I'll stay out of anything that smells just a little political.

I don't wanna find out too much about people.

If you're just trolling or if you're the fanatic you claim to be, you'll reap what you sow.

A'ight, back to amp sims.
Careful with what hate? Quote the part of my post that you call hate.

It's funny that you're discussing hate. I never discussed or displayed hatred for anyone.
It's kinda crazy that you called me a racist fanatic, I've done no name calling before or in response, and when challenged on it, you don't want to discuss politics. I haven't shown you any Ill treatment, but you deem my words hate.
It's telling.

I posted as NoSSLYet for years, since about the time GS started. I moderated this very forum and was partly responsible for GS having a section for producing and recording Hip Hop. I left the site and someone was imitating me here and was accused of being me. An old friend (who has since left the site) emailed me and asked me to come back to discuss audio. I made a new profile and forgot to take my caps lock off. (I wish I could keep the name and change the caps). I wanted there to be no qualms about if it was me posting hence the name.

My avatar is not trolling. It comes from a movie and book that have cultural significance. Herbie Hancock did the soundtrack. It's not my fault if you don't know my culture.

As far as the part of my post that you quoted. It's odd that you see people desiring control over the employment and education of their children as racist. It's deemed taking personal responsibility whenever any group outside of people of African descent have desired it. It's even more odd considering we are the ones who've faced hundreds of years of economic oppression on the basis of race.

The alternative is to live with a perpetual inequality of wealth and economic oppression that was born from our historic oppression, but it's my words that you deem racist?

Honestly, I shouldn't call any of it odd. I'm used to it.

The great James Baldwin addressed it by saying
"If any white man in the world says give me liberty or give me death, the entire white world applauds. When a black man says exactly the same thing word for word, he is judged a criminal and treated like one. And everything possible is done to make an example of this bad ni#$er so there won't be any more like him."

And you think I'm the racist fanatic yeah. Ok

Do you think it's Ok for China to monitor its balance of trade with the US?

No problem right? China has never oppressed the US. Black people have been oppressed for hundreds of years, but if I suggest we monitor our balance of trade with a group that has indeed oppressed us for hundreds of years, would you take issue with that?
If so, why?

Why is it a negative to see our children's education and well being as our responsibility and a negative to desire the control of it be primarily in our hands?

Why are you ok with someone else controlling it, but you find it racist when I say we should?

Last edited by IM WHO YOU THINK; 20th September 2020 at 11:09 AM..
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
"If any white man in the world says give me liberty or give me death, the entire white world applauds.
That might have been true once apon a time but it certainly ain’t now.

Theres a lot of ideological fantasy around nowadays,wish lists and politically manipulated Cultural junk being pushed by powergrabbers.....Which is confusing because nothing of any real worth will get Achieved unless we transcend race/sex/looks and wealth status.......“Liberate your mind and your ass will follow“ George. Clinton !!!
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
nothing of any real worth will get Achieved unless we transcend race/sex/looks and wealth status
We'll get there, with the help of technology (bioengineering and AI).
Lives for gear

Quote:
(bioengineering and AI).
I think i will stick with hardware......Analog !!!! Just to be on the safe side
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
I think i will stick with hardware......Analog !!!! Just to be on the safe side
if you have dental implants, you already took the first step without even knowing it don't worry, it will all feel natural. Just like nobody freaks out about tattoos anymore, they are too common.
Old 20th September 2020
Here for the gear

bOOm bAp
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Nut

It's time to grow and evolve. The only thing from the past I am chasing and will continue to chase is analog.

We get one life man. Just think how amazing it would be if we lived like it and not promoting drugs, used to cope about how bad we think our life is all while flashing money and girls and rented lambos and homes to millions to brag. Or how the guy next to you is a idiot and you are smarter than him.

One side is obsessed with superiority and the other side is so selfish it kills them.

Life is not about being cleverer than the next guy or rich. It is about the little things. You're here today and gone tomorrow.

Our 80+ years on this earth should be an amazing experience during every second for any human alive for their one life. We have the music and the tech to make it happen but here we are. It really is sad.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammmoxo View Post
It's time to grow and evolve. The only thing from the past I am chasing and will continue to chase is analog.

We get one life man. Just think how amazing it would be if we lived like it and not promoting drugs, used to cope about how bad we think our life is all while flashing money and girls and rented lambos and homes to millions to brag. Or how the guy next to you is a idiot and you are smarter than him.

One side is obsessed with superiority and the other side is so selfish it kills them.

Life is not about being cleverer than the next guy or rich. It is about the little things. You're here today and gone tomorrow.

Our 80+ years on this earth should be an amazing experience during every second for any human alive for their one life. We have the music and the tech to make it happen but here we are. It really is sad.
Please define the two sides that you speak of. Who is so selfish it kills them?
Old 21st September 2020
Here for the gear

bruh chill, pop in general from '86 -'96 was trash, especially hiphop. '96 - 2006 was the golden years. plus good Trap is basically using Dilla formula from boom-bap days (eg. pure triplet divisions) it's just sped up with some triplet arps. Check out WhereisAlex, Deffie, LoPhile etc.. that sh*t's dope! (soundcloud guys) However, mainstream is totally garbage just like '93-96 - it'll be a couple more years (think 2023) before we hear actual talent lining up with great production. its just not happening now in the mainstream due to bad corporate structure; and yeah it's nearly all trash on the billboard and liking anything feels forced. (kendrick, sza, kardi, joey bada$$ and megan.t.s. excluded) also, if you're gonna do trash - do it right - go extra trashy, some on the billboard realise this...
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

Let's stop pretending the negative imagery doesn't have a history.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Let's stop pretending the negative imagery doesn't have a history.
The segment that starts at about 40 mins in was interesting.
Lives for gear
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

I @ IM WHO YOU THINK know it does.
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_b_b View Post
The segment that starts at about 40 mins in was interesting.
I should have given a time as well. About 13 min. in he discussing the history of black roles in films. The negative imagery also affected what went on in the courts. (Same as today).. It was profitable then (think of making $2 million dollars in the 1930's), like it is today.

It works so well that if you bother to raise the notion that black people should be in control of the employment and education of their own children, the response calls you a racist and tells you to be careful with your hate.

Last edited by IM WHO YOU THINK; 22nd September 2020 at 12:32 AM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I should have given a time as well. About 13 min. in he discussing the history of black roles in films. The negative imagery also affected what went on in the courts. (Same as today).. It was profitable then (think of making $2 million dollars in the 1930's), like it is today.

It works so well that if you bother to raise the notion that black people should be in control of the employment and education of their own children, the response calls you a racist and tells you to be careful with your hate.
I found it funny to hear Cosby talk about being left out of the history books - when his exploits certainly won't be forgotten
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Nut

The problem is bigger than we think. We as black ppl have the shortest end of the stick fosure but the problem if we are truly being honest it is rich vs poor and their access to resources and knowledge from their family members or close friends.

Nepotism.

The rich barley share what they know with their white counterparts nepotism/cronyism has always been an issue in America. They def are not going to let another race in the circle easily.

White ppl are just as divided as us it's just that there is 70% of them and only 13% of us. The whole system is a scam but that is outside the scope of this forum.
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
The rich barley share what they know with their white counterparts nepotism/cronyism has always been an issue in America. They def are not going to let another race in the circle easily.
Same can be said about the black "elite". Are Timbaland, Dre, Kanye, Jay Z letting any white producers into their little rich circle? Racism is indeed a problem and it's not one-sided.
Lives for gear
Quote:
The problem is bigger than we think. We as black ppl have the shortest end of the stick fosure but the problem if we are truly being honest it is rich vs poor and their access to resources and knowledge from their family members or close friends.

Nepotism.

White ppl are just as divided as us it's just that there is 70% of them and only 13% of us. The whole system is a scam but that is outside the scope of this forum.
I don't believe that. In America you can rise to whatever you want to be. Saying "I can't do that because I'm black" is such bull****. It's like saying "I'm too stupid to figure it out".

Quote:
Kanye, Jay Z letting any white producers into their little rich circle?
What do you consider Mike Dean to be?
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
What do you consider Mike Dean to be?
Sure, Mike Dean, Eminem.. There are always exceptions to the rule. Look at Obama. I am talking about the general trend.
Closed