The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How was the general workflow in the 90s / early 00s?
Old 26th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post

Thanks for the reply.

If you are still into that style of music what are some things you'd recommend to achieve "that 90s" sound (very vague question, I know)?
Any plugins that make it easier or techniques that were often utilized?
Honestly, Drums in Battery 4 speak to my workflow. I can get a very good sound from that and a Tal Sampler. I like the filters in there. Studio One sampler and the new Logic Quick Sampler are the best samplers to me. I'm faster in Logic than Studio One or Cubase, but I'll try to mix it up in all three programs, the sampler in Cubase is great, but harder to pick up to me.

The SP1200 filters inside battery4 remind of when I had my sp12. Closer than nothing.
Old 28th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Probably back then more focus was on the song creation process (or at least for me).

Nowadays its more common to mix as you go.

Two track rough mixed beats were probably more common than today. Once people liked the rough mix, studio time would be scheduled. That process is more blurred now.

Even more common was making the beat right while the rapper would write the verse.

These days it is more expected to have fully produced beats ready to go when the rapper shows up. If your beats ain't well mixed/produced many artists will skip and want something that sounds more ready to go.
Old 28th August 2020
Lives for gear
I had a studio in that time frame.

The coolest one with an MPC created all his own samples by first moving them to vinyl then sampling from a record player. Was a really nice texture to it.

Often I would have people come in with a roland synth. record a 2 track mix from the synth, they lay down 30 tracks of vocals over that. Turns out like crap.
Old 28th August 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I had a studio in that time frame.

The coolest one with an MPC created all his own samples by first moving them to vinyl then sampling from a record player. Was a really nice texture to it.

Often I would have people come in with a roland synth. record a 2 track mix from the synth, they lay down 30 tracks of vocals over that. Turns out like crap.
Moving them to vinyl?
Old 9th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrimes11 View Post
Probably back then more focus was on the song creation process (or at least for me).

Nowadays its more common to mix as you go.

Two track rough mixed beats were probably more common than today. Once people liked the rough mix, studio time would be scheduled. That process is more blurred now.

Even more common was making the beat right while the rapper would write the verse.

These days it is more expected to have fully produced beats ready to go when the rapper shows up. If your beats ain't well mixed/produced many artists will skip and want something that sounds more ready to go.
Imo this post gets more to your workflow question. What happened once you lugged your MPC to the studio and started tracking things out was secondary, and the engineer's job.

I'd worry less about the recording to tape part and more about how you write the song. When I started in the late 90s I had only an MPC (and my turntables). Think, if you were to only use your XL, how will you complete your tracks? With no software for drums or bass those all had to be sampled and manipulated in the machine. Records were the only source.

That's how things got dirty. You couldn't pull out the perfect kick from hundreds of files on your computer. I would have to dig and build my own collection of percussion samples and try my best to find a good fit for a beat with the minimal amount of modulation you can do in the MPC. It would sound raw as hell but it didn't matter because the mixing was all getting done later at the studio.
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post

Early late 80's/early 90s we used ... a Alesis MMT8, which SUCKED.
Wow , forgot about those!
Dude, when a 4Track Cassette Recorder with a QuadraVerb on the Send/Rtn Loop was all we had, this thing was GOLD when one of my Synth friend got one! We were able to stripe track 4 on the 4track with SMPTE and then slave the MMT8 to cassette by connecting track 4's output to the smpte in of the MMT8. It cost us a track on the 4track, but we didnt have to record the drum machine and synth tracks anymore. I remember feeling Liberated from the 4Track. Like we didn't know what to do with all the extra capture potential! LoL We started making some good Rave Techno! Haaa
📝 Reply