The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Jv 1080 vs Emu Mo phatt
Old 9th August 2020
Deleted 45df8d9 🎙️
Roland Jv 1080 vs Emu Mo phatt

Sup slutz
I'm thinking of getting one of these but still have some doubts about which one would be the best option. I'm mostly into hip hop production, my set up consist of SP1200, s950, Korg Dsm1 and Casio Fz1. Any of these two would suit perfectly.
I've been listening to both JV and Mo Phatt Hip Hop roms on Yt and I can say the JV convinced me the most but if anyone has any experience with them and can guide me a bit I would appreciate it.
Peace
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

I found i prefer the 1080 by a lot.MO Pratt rom was cheesy and was happy to move on.Theres some deep sonics inside the 1080.Never heard the Hiphop rom tho.
Old 10th August 2020
Deleted 45df8d9 🎙️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Never heard the Hiphop rom tho.
There you go

I like it way more than the Mo Phatt
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Addict

I had a handful of different EMU Proteus ack moduel sliek B-3, VIntage Pro etc etc, fully loaded with extra cards.

Required a bonkers about of i/o on my audio interface, and in modern studio context it all felt clunky. after a while I figured out I could sell that lot for over 1K, get a Kontakt library of ALL the EMU modules for under £40, AND get NI Komplete Kontrol bundle inc keybaord. Sold that EMU sh*t FASTTTTTT!
Old 15th August 2020
I have the Turbo Phatt, which is like the Mo Phatt. If you are into the generic 80's rap sounds that has defined that era, you will like it.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

I've owned both and I would go with the 1080
Old 2nd September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 45df8d9 View Post
There you go

I like it way more than the Mo Phatt
those were funky fresh hip hop sounds.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
those were funky fresh hip hop sounds.
Dope ass beats....
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Nut

Different beasts but I'd grab the 1080 before the Phat...

Have a look at DSF (Digital Sound Factory). It is owned by my previous boss at Emu when I was a sound designer for them. He sells all the hardware SFs for a fraction of the price of the hardware. Worth a look as he has been meticulous on coding the content across for various soft samplers.
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Maniac

The 1080 can cover all bases. The MO Phatt has some nice sounds, but somewhat limited IMO.
Old 9th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 45df8d9 View Post
Sup slutz
I'm thinking of getting one of these but still have some doubts about which one would be the best option. I'm mostly into hip hop production, my set up consist of SP1200, s950, Korg Dsm1 and Casio Fz1. Any of these two would suit perfectly.
I've been listening to both JV and Mo Phatt Hip Hop roms on Yt and I can say the JV convinced me the most but if anyone has any experience with them and can guide me a bit I would appreciate it.
Peace
Both Hip Hop expansions are pretty cheesy by today's standards.

That said the 1080 is a much better well rounded synth module and was a powerhouse module in the mid-late 90s to the early 2000s (right up there with the Triton and in certain cases better). Very cool presets. Everything is pretty decent. That said none of the instruments has the realism of today's VSTS but they have a unique sound of their own which is hard to duplicate with VSTS.

The mophatt was pretty good at what it did but its sounds tended to get cliche pretty fast. The Proteus 2000 is pretty nice though (although the 1080 is hard to beat here) .

They both were pretty nice when they first case out but just about every producer back then used alot of those presets to death.

Both had pretty good basses, horn stabs, drums for their time period.

I tended to like the hits/stabs better on the Mophat.

Jv 1080 might have had better synths sounds.

For late 90s commercial rap, MO phatt might be a little more fun, but the 1080 might be slightly less dated (as I haven't heard those sounds in awhile).
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

don't forget that the EMU has [3] tempo synced envelopes (filter, amp, aux) and [2] tempo synced LFO's + tempo synced delay (as an EFX & a delayed note/sound) - apart from it's arp's
📝 Reply