The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor tweeters at ear level importance
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear

Monitor tweeters at ear level importance

Hello, I have some new monitors but they are quite tall and the tweeters are above my ears. How important is it to have the tweeters at ear level? Do the tweeters have to be exactly at ear level?
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb09 View Post
Hello, I have some new monitors but they are quite tall and the tweeters are above my ears. How important is it to have the tweeters at ear level? Do the tweeters have to be exactly at ear level?
In short, no. I have my speakers up high and the drivers as opposed to th tweeters are at ear level when sitting down. Basically depends on the specific speakers, the room and your preference. Put on some well mixed records and see where they sound how you want it to sound. I prefer my one15's from slightly underneath when sitting down.

Also, get the distances as good as possible. Between them, and between them and you. And the toe in angle. If you put them so far apart that they disconnect image wise you will mix more mono, trying to fill the middle and if you put them too close so they bunch up you will likely overdo the outsides. Solid phantom centre, just close together enough to make one image, as opposed to two disconnected sound sources.

Tweaking this to be right is super important. This is your canvas. But to me at least, having the tweeters at ear level is not a definite requirement.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Short answer: Yes...but depends on monitor design (e.g. point source), room and position.
I have some smaller monitors (Focal CMS40) with tweeters at ear level when I'm sitting upright in the mixing position; next to (at same base level) Mackie XR624's and the tweeter is around 4-5" higher than ear level, so I tilted them facing slightly downwards on foam pads - this works for me.

IMO some detail, balance and soundstage is lost if the tweeters are not at ear level and this is worsened in a nearfield position. Like listening off-axis and out of the monitors 'sweet spot.'

The tweeter waveguide is an important factor too; some of the more recent monitors have waveguides that distribute the tweeter output to a wider listening field but still quite height-dependent.

Without acoustic treatment at the room mirror points the wrong ear-tweeter height is not so noticeable but if you have good monitors, room and acoustic treatment (and well-trained ears!) then it's more important to get to the right listening/monitor height IME.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Short answer: Yes...
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Lol. I hadn't seen your post before I replied. Great minds think alike but sometimes differently.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Lol. I hadn't seen your post before I replied. Great minds think alike but sometimes differently.
Indeed. Made me crack up lol
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
The science says yes in most cases., Its important, very! Most studio monitors (2 way near-field) say to have the tweeters at ear level.

For me, i tend to look at the science behind things and take frequency measurements in my listening position (This takes my room into account as well) Then adjust until it optimal for me.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll need to be your own judge. You mention the speaker are "quite tall". are they three way or on stands? I've been laughed at on here for the concept of designing remote controlled bases for height and axis or remote controlable tweeters for axis positioning . it doesn't sound so funny now, does it? Also are your speakers passive or powered? some passive's can be biamped but you need to know what you're doing there. Example, We use to have a Fun Day at a little town I grew up in, we'd have a street dance, one year we had a band that triamped an JBL setup, but the horns were ear level, and they would literally rip your head off and make your eyes cross if you danced by/pass them and the know it all band wouldn't take any advice, and F**ked the whole night up, because of this. So, just saying,,, be your own judge. Kind of like getting ear buds to position just right. You'll know!

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/spe...peaker-toe-in/
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

you can tilt the speakers down so they angle toward you (this might require some fancy speaker mounting, but should not be that difficult).

i like my ears to be between the tweeters and the larger drivers. i like the speakers fairly close. but they need to be far enough back so the sound of the drivers have a chance to blend with each other (which is the sound the manufacturers design for).
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

you can tilt the speakers down so they angle toward you (this might require some fancy speaker mounting, but should not be that difficult).

i like the audio sight line to be between the tweeters and the larger drivers. i like the speakers fairly close. but they need to be far enough back so the sound of the drivers have a chance to blend with each other (which is the sound the manufacturers design for).
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear

I am using Yamaha HS8 monitors and have them tilted using auralex mopads. I thought about turning them sideways but after a lot of research that wouldn't be ideal. Its weird because I talked to two Yamaha techs and they both told me it was ok to turn them horizontally. I was thinking of getting a chair that can adjust to the height of the tweeters. Can anyone recommend any chairs that can get at least 27 inches of height adjustment?
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I am using Yamaha HS8 monitors and have them tilted using auralex mopads. I thought about turning them sideways but after a lot of research that wouldn't be ideal. Its weird because I talked to two Yamaha techs and they both told me it was ok to turn them horizontally. I was thinking of getting a chair that can adjust to the height of the tweeters. Can anyone recommend any chairs that can get at least 27 inches of height adjustment?
'It's ok'? People use them vertical or horizontal. Take your pick of the resulting imaging, basically. Win some lose some, as any choices in the studio. But I wouldn't worry so hard about things being 'ok'.
Old 8th August 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

It depends on the tweeter waveguide shape. Hs series has round one, so can be used horizontally
Old 9th August 2020
Here for the gear

I'm rearranging some gear. Does it matter if I have racks directly in the desk facing up or do they have to be on an angle?
📝 Reply