The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocals On Brandy's New Album 🥴
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Head

Vocals On Brandy's New Album 🥴

Has Anyone Listened to Brandy’s new album?
For me the vocals sound awful..and her previous are like the gospel of RnB vocal production.
Is it over compression/de-essing ? it sounds like someone got Soothe and just cranked it up and left it.

Last edited by HarryCraze; 7th August 2020 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Made no sense
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Try going straight to the source

Jaycen Joshua surely knows how to mix, and people seem to be more accessible than ever during the pandemic. If you send him a message via email, Twitter, etc, I’m sure that he could explain.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Head

I didn’t know he mixed it and 100000% he is a great mixer, he mixed a Mary J song for me.
Would you agree with the vocal artefacts etc ? If you compare to previous albums? It’s pretty common on modern vocals.

Last edited by HarryCraze; 10th August 2020 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Word missing
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

You @ HarryCraze worked w/Mary J? Do tell!
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head

She came to London, to do the ‘London sessions’ .
I dunno with the Brandy thing love some of the songs and actually vocal production on the whole is nice...just the sibiliance and texture of some the vocals is intense. Maybe ess hitting the comp too hard that weren’t clip gained down
Old 21st August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCraze View Post
She came to London, to do the ‘London sessions’ .
I dunno with the Brandy thing love some of the songs and actually vocal production on the whole is nice...just the sibiliance and texture of some the vocals is intense. Maybe ess hitting the comp too hard that weren’t clip gained down
The sound of this album mixing/mastering wise was pretty bad compared to all her past releases. Sounds way more muddy. Listen to her "Wish Your Love Away" from her 2012 Two Elevyn album for how I think her vocals should sound. The width and clarity are all there.
Old 31st August 2020
i think the album is very underwhelming.....

but not for the mix really, i think she just sounds tired and the energy isnt there in the project.

....i loved the sound of her voice on a ballad back in the day and Afrodesiac was a solid project IMO
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
i think the album is very underwhelming.....

but not for the mix really, i think she just sounds tired and the energy isnt there in the project.

....i loved the sound of her voice on a ballad back in the day and Afrodesiac was a solid project IMO
I agree. It's the project not the mixing. Mixing can't fix a bad song.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear
Maybe it was recorded at home? First song sounds a bit like a demo. Her older albums all had huge production budgets.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
vocal mix does some kinda bad. something off about it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's funny because we were contacted to mix this album but turned it down, because we were really busy with a very big major artist project that has a huge budget. I didn't hear it and still haven't but my engineer who works for us did great listen to it. I would if loved to mix her beautiful voice.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sance21 View Post
Listen to her "Wish Your Love Away" from her 2012
...yep that's quintessential brandy

i love her voice tbf

...for me "where you wanna be"" with kanye, off aphrodisiac....and "full moon"

...thats what i think of when i think of how brandy should sound,

My favourite (and only playlist ) track from the new album is "Lucid Dreams" ...i do like that song...even though its more a filler track IMO.

I feel she could do with a Hit Boi produced album, what he did with Nas is what she needs IMO.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Whose @ trevon project were you busy with?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

best RnB album I've heard this year. Listen in mono first.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

one thing i can say for sure is i've seen jaycen use soothe on mix with the masters
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

That low end is just great!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear