The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Planning on going to the studio for the first time
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head
Planning on going to the studio for the first time

Hey everyone,

I've been songwriting for some time already, have a few songs that I have written but never recorded , I tried to do it myself but I just don't have all the plugins and knowledge really, so I thought I'd go to a studio to record a song and see how it goes.

I'm planning on getting the studio for two or three hours MAX, and was wondering if that would be enough to record a song ?
The song is already written, but I never used any plugin, have no idea how to use autotune or anything.

Could you guys maybe give me some tips, things to expect, some things that might help if I knew beforehand ? Anything really

I dream of putting out an EP of my own, I have lots of idea, money is the issue, so I'm kinda hoping that recording that song will make me "breathe" as in make me feel like I can do it, because until now, it still feels unreal, like I'm not capable off, even if I might like the stuff I write, maybe other people won't.

Thanks for your input !
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head

You plan to do the recording and the mix in one go in the studio? Instrumental is already produced?
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefaz View Post
You plan to do the recording and the mix in one go in the studio? Instrumental is already produced?
As I said it will be my first time going, so no idea what can be done in that short amount of time.
For the instrumental, I bought it online, so I guess that's ready !
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
For rap, without a lot of vocal tracks, if you are very well rehearsed, you can track the vocals for a couple songs in a couple hours. If you want them mixed as well, you could do just one song and it will be a very down-n-dirty mix (and only the main version). Don't expect anything more. But that might be all you need to get a feel for what's possible. Not everyone needs a major label hit sounding record their very first time in a studio.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
For rap, without a lot of vocal tracks, if you are very well rehearsed, you can track the vocals for a couple songs in a couple hours. If you want them mixed as well, you could do just one song and it will be a very down-n-dirty mix (and only the main version). Don't expect anything more. But that might be all you need to get a feel for what's possible. Not everyone needs a major label hit sounding record their very first time in a studio.
Thanks for your input.

It's kinda scary to go in there and " sing " in front of at least one person, strangers, even tho I'm not really a " singer " not do I have any good singing voice, I know a lot of rappers don't have a good singing voice and edit it out after but yeah...
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

What @ Straw has been/is your experience in buying instrumentals online? I'm at the beginner stages of making music and trying to not purchase instrumentals at the novice stage.

Also if you want to sing get voice lessons so as to not disrespect the art of singing.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Nut

I’d say to just go for it. See if you click with the studio and get a feel for the whole experience. Try to learn as much as you can. Go in with confidence and sing as well as you can. Bring a few samples of artists you like the sound of so that your engineer/producer has an idea of what you’re looking for. The experience will do so much to answer your questions and prepare you for the next time. It might not be perfect, your first go around and that’s ok. It’ll be so much fun. Take pictures, take notes, document the adventure on social media. Share your feelings about the whole thing and you’re golden. Best of luck!
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
What @ Straw has been/is your experience in buying instrumentals online? I'm at the beginner stages of making music and trying to not purchase instrumentals at the novice stage.

Also if you want to sing get voice lessons so as to not disrespect the art of singing.
I want to and I will take singing lessons, but short in money and covid, so it will have to wait sadly.

As in for the buying instrumentals, It was very painful all the hours of listening through very bad instrumentals, I feel like all the good ones are only sent to big artists in their emails...
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegentry View Post
I’d say to just go for it. See if you click with the studio and get a feel for the whole experience. Try to learn as much as you can. Go in with confidence and sing as well as you can. Bring a few samples of artists you like the sound of so that your engineer/producer has an idea of what you’re looking for. The experience will do so much to answer your questions and prepare you for the next time. It might not be perfect, your first go around and that’s ok. It’ll be so much fun. Take pictures, take notes, document the adventure on social media. Share your feelings about the whole thing and you’re golden. Best of luck!
Thank you so much for this ! I'll try to prepare a few samples of what I like, because I have an idea of what I want to sound like on my songs but no idea how to do so !
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Check @ Straw your PM regarding where you could get instrumentals.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw View Post
Thank you so much for this ! I'll try to prepare a few samples of what I like, because I have an idea of what I want to sound like on my songs but no idea how to do so !
Even if you don’t have the samples of stuff that you might want to sound similar to, the studio should be able to pull them up on Spotify or YouTube. Practice before going in. Just play the track in your room and sing. Record it on your phone and listen to what you like and what you think you can do better. Do it again... Don’t worry about setting up to record “for real”. Just tighten up your performance and then learn as much as you can in the studio. See if you can apply some of the stuff you learn when you get back home. After a few times back and forth you’ll have made tremendous progress. Have fun!
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Good for you for pursuing your dreams and getting into the studio.
You will have a blast.
Caution. It is addictive.

You will be sweaty and nervous but remember, YOU are the client and you are paying THEM to help you. It's their job to help make you sound good and achieve your vision.

Please make sure you rehearse the hell out of your work before you go in.
Have a CLEAR and well thought-out vision of What you want, and be ready to explain it.

Have fun.
Don't forget to breathe.
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Head
Okay so I finally went, got two hours, you're right I was actually sweating so much even tho it wasn't even hot.

I was so stressed to sing in front of a stranger that I sounded awful, didn't sound natural at all. I enjoyed the quality of the mic tho, it's mindblowing the difference between my tlm 103 at home with bad audio interface and the clarity of the u87ai with the right hardware in the studio, it was actually mind blowing I didn't know I could sound THAT clear ( at least the few takes where I wasn't THAT nervous).
Also while we were recording he was using pro tools, I personnally have logic pro x so I'm sorry if I don't know how it works, but I thought we would record a lot of tracks so I can go back home with at least some good takes with a good expensive setup, in the end he was deleting takes everytime I wanted to do " another one " even tho the one before was fine imo, I just wanted to try again...

Other than that, I'm dissapointed in the studio, it has really good equipment and all, but I felt like it wasn't that worth it, I agree, I did sound awful, I'm not a singer, I never trained my voice, add to that the pressure, because nobody knows that I was going to the studio, so all the pressure was on me, but the engineer really didn't make me enjoy the session, it seemed like he didn't take it seriously even tho I was really trying, he didn't understand my idea, when I told him that I wanted to sound a way, he told me that it needs a certain machine and wasn't available in my country, and then I asked the name of it so I could at least check it out , he didn't even want to give me the name of it, like wth...

I'm so dissapointed, I went into the studio like a kid going to disney land, came out so dissapointed, I worked so hard to pay these two hours in that professionnal studio, I hoped to at least learn a few things, but felt nothing but hostility even tho the engineer was "trying to be nice".That studio is probably the best one in my country, it cost me like 100 bucks which is actually a lot in my country.

When I was explaining to him how i wanted to sound, he added an affect that didn't ressemble what I wanted all that much, and was telling me that it isn't even part of his job, that it's part of mixing , so not sure if this is true or not, idk...

I felt anger at first because I had worked so hard to pay for this to go that bad and then it made my depression even worse because now I feel like I can't reach my dreams, I always dreamt of being on a record with Andre 3000, now I feel like I'm a piece of garbage who can never be a profesionnal or even dream about that.
Also the engineer doesn't speak english, I know my text is actually pretty good/fun, that I'm unique, I'm not copying anybody's style and trying to do my best, especially since english is my third language, but since he doesn't understand he was telling me to forget about english because it doesn't work in my country, to switch it to my country's language because " it's not worth it competing with americans that are over there"...

Sorry I don't think this is the appropriate forum to post this kind of message, I just wanted to give you guys an update because you were all so helpful.
📝 Reply