The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rap mics that are crispy but clear
Old 24th June 2020
Rap mics that are crispy but clear

Im looking for a higher end mic that will match my voice but need help, I've been searching for a month now.
I currenly use a b1 behringer going into a babyfac pro fs. I like the way the b1 sounds on my voice even though it's a 100 dollar mic. It's crispy and a little bright with some bass but feel the quality isn't enough. I'm planning on getting a bae 1073 pre but need a mic to match it. Mic budget is 2 grand the most. I want professional radio studio quality high-end.

Here's a YouTube link to a song with my voice recorded with b1 behringer. Can someone make a suggestion based on my voice for a crispy mic like the b1 or any mic that you think would professionaly match my voice.

Here's my song: https://youtu.be/e-zmmB9fV40
I suck at mixings I know lol

Ps love the u87 but out of budget.
Old 24th June 2020
i believe the soyuz 017 fet is 2 grand

i'd definitely check that out
Old 24th June 2020
Nice mic. Upset they don't sell it in canada
Old 25th June 2020
Here for the gear

The one mic is ->

Akg c414 or tlm 103
Old 25th June 2020
Just bought the Soyuz but not a lot of reviews on it
Old 26th June 2020
Here for the gear

I haven’t heard of it but it looks nice. 2000 dollars it better sound good lol
Old 26th June 2020
They say it's the u87 killer. And they compare it to it so in excited.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear
The classic answers are:
C800G
RED
C12/Old 414
ELAM251
Anything with a Josphsen cap

But all those cost 5K$+ range

To get the cost down, Get a tube mic from Advanced Audio
CM800, CM67se, or C12se

Go to recording hacks to get an idea if you like 800, 12, or 67 flavor mic's.

Toneluxe 37 is also cool....but it's laid back and what you are looking for.
Old 27th June 2020
Lives for gear

I have used almost every mic out there and the Blue Yeti Pro USB mic is INSANE for hip hop vocals. I would take it over the most expensive mic out. I had an expensive Audio Techica 4040 with a high end Focucrite pre and the Blue USB blows it away

Seriously take the Blue USB Yeti and compare it to any analog chain and you will be amazed especially when you put it in stereo mode. My theory is that the mic and usb ad converters are so perfectly integrated you get the best possible sound.

To to Blues home Page and see what mic they always feature. Why? Because they made a classic mic. The pro has asio drivers!

I record all my vocals with it and dont use anything else.
Old 27th June 2020
Here for the gear

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
I have used almost every mic out there and the Blue Yeti Pro USB mic is INSANE for hip hop vocals. I would take it over the most expensive mic out. I had an expensive Audio Techica 4040 with a high end Focucrite pre and the Blue USB blows it away

Seriously take the Blue USB Yeti and compare it to any analog chain and you will be amazed especially when you put it in stereo mode. My theory is that the mic and usb ad converters are so perfectly integrated you get the best possible sound.

To to Blues home Page and see what mic they always feature. Why? Because they made a classic mic. The pro has asio drivers!

I record all my vocals with it and dont use anything else.
—Wow I’ll definitely have to get my hands on one. One question, once I get the Yeti pro- “don’t record vocals in mono? Record vocals in stereo?
Old 27th June 2020
Lives for gear

Find a used Manley Reference C
Old 27th June 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Onshott. Since you're in Canada already, IMHO an Advanced Audio microphone (or 2 different ones) seems like a no-brainer to me.

They have a version similar to the original vintage U87, for only around $300. And a brighter version, of the current U87ai, for only a $100 more.
Also the AA CM800T seems like another obvious suggestion, at around $800.

I checked their website, and some microphones have a 15% discount. As some of the models timeline were delayed, due to the Pandemic.

Also the BAE's are wonderful Pre's but... You may want to consider keeping the $1K+ in your pocket, and keep developing your skills.
I really like your vocal tone and song arrangement. But... I really think you've got to back down the volume of the music, and bring up your vocal in that mix.

How's your recording area? Would it be a good idea to put some of this budget upgrading it? Standard questions.
Chris
P.S. Beesneez just came out with a nice U87 clone too. Their nothing to sneeze at either! (sorry couldn't resist)
Old 30th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by onshott1 View Post
Im looking for a higher end mic that will match my voice but need help, I've been searching for a month now.
I currenly use a b1 behringer going into a babyfac pro fs. I like the way the b1 sounds on my voice even though it's a 100 dollar mic. It's crispy and a little bright with some bass but feel the quality isn't enough. I'm planning on getting a bae 1073 pre but need a mic to match it. Mic budget is 2 grand the most. I want professional radio studio quality high-end.

Here's a YouTube link to a song with my voice recorded with b1 behringer. Can someone make a suggestion based on my voice for a crispy mic like the b1 or any mic that you think would professionaly match my voice.

Here's my song: https://youtu.be/e-zmmB9fV40
I suck at mixings I know lol

Ps love the u87 but out of budget.

I have a b1. It is the brightest mic I own.

Rode Nt1a is a pretty good mic as well as the Blue Spark for bright and clean (nowhere as harsh as the behringer). Audio technics at2020 is a very clean sounding mic for me at only $100. The at2020 sounds somewhat neutral with a slight high end boost.

All three of those are pretty workhorse for me as I can usually get them crispy with EQ.

On the higher end I have a micro tech gefell m92 1 s. It is much warmer than the other mics I mentioned so might not be what you are after. It is a Tube mic which is a bit warmer than a normal condenser.

Listening to your voice my gut tells me a Tube condenser which will have a little sparkle but not too aggressive.

I used to own a Rode Ntk. It was somewhat smooth for a Tube but I'm sure with EQ, it would be decent.

The Behringer dont sound bad on your voice though, but something a little less bright with a little tube sparkle would be magic.
Old 4th July 2020
Sorry for the late replies I was in an accident. I like my vocals being harsh or sounding raspy. It would match my style but I'm not actually raspy. I'm thinking the tlm 193 might do the trick. chessparov2.0 thanks for the mix advice
Old 4th July 2020
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you're OK. And that any remaining situation goes as smooth as possible.
Chris
Old 4th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you're OK. And that any remaining situation goes as smooth as possible.
Chris
Thanks for the kind words. I really like gear sluts very supportive people.

Question chess do you have any recommendations for mics to make you sound raspy. I don't have a raspy voice but want to make it sound that way. I was gonna listen to you and get the cm800t or cm87 for advance audio but I doubt they will make me sound raspy with energy
Old 4th July 2020
Lives for gear

Well there are two of my microphones, that "do that" kind of thing on my voice...
One is the Oktava 319, and the other is (surprise surprise) is a 58!

Audio clips below, of each microphone. I ran the 58 through the Soyuz Launcher BTW.

To help avoid straining the voice, it's usually better to key the song somewhere between medium and the lowest
comfortable key.
This'll bring out more chest voice for more texture.
Chris
P.S. Like Character Actors, we all have a certain singing "character" and range to guide us where we shine.
Since I have a Crooner toned voice, that gravitates me towards "Story Songs"/Ballads/Harmonies, for example.
Attached Files

Song 60oldwaysdie319final (1).wav (1.57 MB, 1191 views)

Song 106SoyuzBitchIs BackSM58 1 (2).mp3 (317.9 KB, 1297 views)

Old 5th July 2020
Gear Addict

I have a few of those very high end mics and pres. One thing I'm actually impressed with as of late is the Slate VMS. Definitely worth a look.
Old 5th July 2020
Thank all of you. You've gave me plenty to try out
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Head

I really loved the Mojave MA50! Surprised the hell out of me for rap vocals
Old 8th July 2020
AA CM800T or the Sony C100 are killers.
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I like my vocals being harsh or sounding raspy. It would match my style but I'm not actually raspy. I'm thinking the tlm 193 might do the trick.
Hey ... I’m just a civilian, but your vocals in the Youtube sound good to me the way they are—“sounds like a record.”

Obviously it’s your call what tone you want, you’re the artist—but I would be curious what feedback you get from people who hear your music. Do they think it should be raspier, or do they like it the way it is now?

Sometimes vocalists dislike their own voices, when nothing is actually wrong with their voices.

fwiw....
Old 27th July 2020
Truth is because it's a b1 behringer Mic that only cost 100 bucks I wanted to step my game up for better quality. It takes me forever to get the levels and eq.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

The blue blueberry is probably the clearest mic I’ve ever used! One of my gotos for years!
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Truth is because it's a b1 behringer Mic that only cost 100 bucks I wanted to step my game up for better quality. It takes me forever to get the levels and eq.
Behringer is a pretty decent mic though.

Main gripe is the harshness but I've heard harsher mics and sometimes harshness can be good.
Old 1st August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_Knowes View Post
Akg c414 or tlm 103
this!
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme View Post
Find a used Manley Reference C
Great mic if you want that modern rap sound like the C800g. Doesn’t sound like a c800g but I like it more than the clones that many people on here recommend.

In my opinion the most underrated mic in the hip hop/r&b. It’s been used on many hits and many big artists love the mic. 6black, one of the biggest newer r&b/hip hop acts, mentioned in a recent video that he uses this mic on all his music. I believe Russ mentioned he uses it as well.

And if the c-800g stays the price it’s at now we might see even more engineer and artists opt for the Manley. In my opinion it’s the best mic if you’re going for that particular sound. Some artists argue they like it better than the c-800g. I personally like the Sony more, but Manley is a hell of a deal compared to other mics in its price range.

Another option is the Mojave MA-300 or MA-1000 which are both great mics as well. Not as bright as the Sony or Manley for modern rap but they are great sounding tube mics. I would choose all these mics over the TLM-103 or U87 any day. If you want that modern sound get a tube mic.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Head

If you haven't tried an akg c214 I suggest you do so. It doesn't go for a wild price and is nice and bright. Pair that with a good preamp/treated room and you've got a great clear sound. Since selling my u87ai it has been my go to. Besides that, mixing technique I feel is not mentioned enough when discussing good mics. There are plenty of tricks to bring clarity to a vocal. Best..
Old 3rd August 2020
How much for the u87ai
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
AA CM800T or the Sony C100 are killers.
^^^^^^
This. My AE understanding/judgement is much more limited compared to
Paul. But I'd give the edge to the AA CM800T, because I think the proximity effect would be greater on it. (versus the Sony C100)
Chris
📝 Reply