The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rap mics that are crispy but clear
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks Tikko. I didn't want to take your other thread too off topic (so I'm doing it here!) But I'm genuinely curious, in order to learn...

With your Zen Pro modded 1073 type, I was wondering if you might prefer a Sony C800G (maybe C100 too) going through it, over your U87?
I'm in agreement, that the 1073 "sound", is what I generally associate with Classic Rock otherwise.

A good Buddy recorded me, with the Avalon M5, and IMHO it came out very well... On a flukey (good on me) low cost condenser.
While the U87ai was a couple feet away unused. (we already knew the U87 ai wasn't the best choice on me BTW)
47 and 67 styles are noticeably better on me than the AI, (without extra Processing).
Thanks, Chris
Old 31st August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Thanks Tikko. I didn't want to take your other thread too off topic (so I'm doing it here!) But I'm genuinely curious, in order to learn...

With your Zen Pro modded 1073 type, I was wondering if you might prefer a Sony C800G (maybe C100 too) going through it, over your U87?
I'm in agreement, that the 1073 "sound", is what I generally associate with Classic Rock otherwise.

A good Buddy recorded me, with the Avalon M5, and IMHO it came out very well... On a flukey (good on me) low cost condenser.
While the U87ai was a couple feet away unused. (we already knew the U87 ai wasn't the best choice on me BTW)
47 and 67 styles are noticeably better on me than the AI, (without extra Processing).
Thanks, Chris
From what I've heard from U87AIs, they don't always sound like a U87. Like, it seems hit or miss, which is what made me go vintage. Its the sound I wanted and I've never heard one that didn't have the right sound.

About the preamps, although I like the 1073 sound, I find myself using it very seldom lately. Ive been recording mostly singers and rappers and I usually end up using the Unison UAD-2 preamp emulations on the Apollo interface. Specifically the 610B and the VT737sp. They just happen to be what sounds best on those voices.

As for the C800G, of course its THE bright and crispy mic. It also happens to be the most successful rapper of all time's mic of choice, so I definitely plan on adding one to the collection just as soon as I cut myself off from buying anything else lol. Its just that its an INCREDIBLY expensive mic. If someone can afford one, its very unlikely I need to even recommend it because their budget is so large there's no way they don't already know. We're talking the price of 15 AKG C414s or about 5 U87s. You can buy pretty much every other must-have mic for the price of 1 C800G. I've been debating whether to buy all of said mics first or stop spending until I have one. Its especially difficult because I'm not sure I even want to use it. I think I might just wanna be able to offer it as an option to rappers like "This is the $15,000 to $20,000 mic Eminem uses" lol That's an especially good selling point here in Detroit.

BTW, I'm really kicking myself for not buying one for $8,000 a couple months ago. Epic fail as an investment alone on my part.
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
AA CM800T or the Sony C100 are killers.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IMHO Tikko, this was a brief but weighty comment, since it came from Paul.

Paul did some shootouts, that he posted on GS, that were very interesting.
Plus he's owned and used the Sony's for years.

My experience was limited just to the $4K GAP Clone, which seemed to be somewhat darker, than the Sony C800G clips I've heard. Including records. I actually liked it a lot. Probably because it sounded less "Modern".
Chris
P.S. Thanks for your post.
Old 1st September 2020
Here for the gear

I am trying to found the mic for me -HELP

I am looking at the AT4040 & the AT4033a. I record hip hop style vocals & have a mid tone/Deep/low vocal tone-Bassy I guess would describe it better but not deep deep deep . I’ll try and post a sample vocal if needed for you helpers to hear . Let me know please if really appreciate the help. I currently use an AKG c214 and Idk if it’s just me but I don’t like how I sound on it... maybe I’m doing something wrong (not recording at the so called sweet spot)

1000$ Budget btw
Old 2nd September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_Knowes View Post
I am looking at the AT4040 & the AT4033a. I record hip hop style vocals & have a mid tone/Deep/low vocal tone-Bassy I guess would describe it better but not deep deep deep . I’ll try and post a sample vocal if needed for you helpers to hear . Let me know please if really appreciate the help. I currently use an AKG c214 and Idk if it’s just me but I don’t like how I sound on it... maybe I’m doing something wrong (not recording at the so called sweet spot)

1000$ Budget btw
My opinion: First, I cant stand ATs. They just suck. A better version of the AT2020, to me, is still an AT2020. **** those mics (insert barf emoji). Thats my opinion, others might disagree but I hate them.

That budget will get you used AKG C414XLii or even a used TLM 102. While I personally don't like the TLMs because, to me, they're the AKG Perceptions of Neumann; for a home studio budget, its technically still a Neumann. Ask for the C414XLii. Its great for bright vocals and actually a studio staple. It might not be the top choice for most professional vocalists, but it's still a choice and used often on pianos, ac guitars,, and other instruments. I used them BEAUTIFULLY in stereo on a big ass harp once at it was heavenly (no pun intended).
Before you ask, yes, the C414XLii is nicer than the C214 and on that I think most will agree with me (for clean vocals anyway).
The C414 should help balance your bassy vocal nicely but beware that bright mics require some EQ magic to smooth the sharpness out and you're gonna want a good environment to record in. You can, of course, significantly decrease the amount of attention required in post by purchasing the right hardware to run it through before your A/D converter (best bet would be REAL hardware. UAD-2 Unison DSP is good but I'm talking actual tubes or even tape to really beef up and/or smooth the vocal, again- imho... and you'd need to know what you're doing.

My final suggestion is, and this may not actually apply to- if not, Im sorry, what's so wrong about going to a real studio with real gear where someone who's as much in love with shaping sound as you are about making music and has been trained and educated to be great at what he does, is dying for work? It would cost you thousands just to build an acoustically dry booth to get the quality performance you wanna capture (I know because I built one and that doesn't include labor costs). If you want to capture natural acoustics, well, large studios spend as much as 6 figures having them built. They have gear it would take you years and a fortune to acquire and they can give you options to try out every mic you've ever dreamed of. If you're really into mixing, sure I guess, take the stems home and have at it (just be sure to send the tracks out to a real mastering engineer for mastering to get another pair of trained ears on them before releasing your album) but go somewhere with a booth.
Just use your studio for test runs to get your performance down to save on studio-time and pay a professional. Itll really make a difference and you'll be helping save a dying industry and by saving the industry you'll be ensuring that more places that can record ensembles stay around which means there will be great music to sample for generations to come.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Agree totally, other than a soft spot for the AT4050. Not enough experience with the rest of the 40 Series, to properly evaluate.

Too many home recording musicians, are putting too much pressure on themselves...
To create a professional recording.
At most I'd look at mine, as demos.
Chris
Old 3rd September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Agree totally, other than a soft spot for the AT4050. Not enough experience with the rest of the 40 Series, to properly evaluate.

Too many home recording musicians, are putting too much pressure on themselves...
To create a professional recording.
At most I'd look at mine, as demos.
Chris
I really wish more artists would realize it. Of course I do feel almost hypocritical because I'm also an artist but, then again, I'm not an artist trying to get stuff to record myself and friends with. Being an artist is what got me interested at first but I was always interested in recording technology and techniques since childhood. I studied under my producer, whom was an amazing engineer, for years while recording my music and others. When he died, I was broke and couldn't afford gear (and he pawned all our equipment before he overdosed on heroine, like his idols) so I took an ancient Windows 98 computer someone gave me, a maybe $5 ⅛" (headphone-size) jack microphone I found, plugged it into the stock soundcard and pirated an outdated version of Sony Acid Pro monitoring through my mentors old AKG K240s and some Cambridge something or another brand computer speakers. I spent a couple years with nothing but that and spent hours on it daily, saving up to get real equipment the whole time, until I was so skilled that I could get usable songs off of it (seriously, the song I'm known most for was recorded and mixed on that rig). I got back in working as an engineer in a studio for a little while (until the studio closed down because too many would-be clients spent their studio money on gear they have little ability to operate), studied recording studio techniques in college as well as physics courses in sound & light, and continued building up my studio everytime I got my hands on money. My time outside of the studio has generally been spent writing verses and thinking about engineering.
I make rappers better when they record with me because I'm one of the top lyricists in Detroit, specifically the 2nd best writer of intricate cadences (I'm not gonna argue who's best against the other guy when he's sold more records than any other rapper in history) and I tale the time everyday to experiment with little details and new effects that make a performance more interesting. When clients come to my studio (especially rappers) they're getting an engineer who LIVES for shaping sound, a coach whole get the best performance of their lives out of them, and a producer's ear that'll find a way to make their song more interesting. You can't buy any of that at Guitar Center.
Old 3rd September 2020
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=K. Avaztar;14893072]If you haven't tried an akg c214 I suggest you do so. It doesn't go for a wild price and is nice and bright. Pair that with a good preamp/treated room and you've got a great clear sound. Since selling my u87ai it has been my go to. Besides that, mixing technique I feel is not mentioned enough when discussing good mics. There are plenty of tricks to bring clarity to a vocal. Best..[/QUOTE

Please do explain the tricks to bring out clarity in vocals. You can PM if you’d like. Thank you very much for your time and help. 💯
📝 Reply