The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on Kaytranada's Mixing Style?
Old 10th June 2020
Gear Head

Thoughts on Kaytranada's Mixing Style?

Kaytranada is truly in his own lane when it comes to production style. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts, good and bad, on his mixing style. In my headphones on the DSP's the sonics are always pretty tight and knockin. Whenever I listen on car stereos his snares/claps are LOUD AF--sometimes a bit abrasive, but any casual listener I'm with never notices it. I also saw him at electric forrest a few years and was quite underwhelmed as his songs weren't knockin like the similar sets before and after him. Assuming we all know the importance of referencing on multiple speakers, do you guys think these inconsistencies are just overlooked or an unintentional result of his conscious mixing style? something else?

Old 11th September 2020
Here for the gear

the snare's mixed a tiny bit higher than the vox, but generally aimed to blend with sibiliance. lots of slack spacing gives the snare some air to 'snap', it's probably written in pure triplets like a lot of stuff these days. e.g. 3x lots of 5 1/3 bars - makes 16 bar loop. etc. - i think Dilla started doing this and every one since.
Old 12th September 2020
Xnr
Gear Nut

I didn't find it very pleasing to listen to, the topend of the snare has this annoying "clicking" sound and is clipping half of the time. And there is something going on with the stereo image, which I think is an artistic experiment. If anything, I blame the beatmaker because the vocals are actually quite nice.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleBeam View Post
the snare's mixed a tiny bit higher than the vox, but generally aimed to blend with sibiliance. lots of slack spacing gives the snare some air to 'snap', it's probably written in pure triplets like a lot of stuff these days. e.g. 3x lots of 5 1/3 bars - makes 16 bar loop. etc. - i think Dilla started doing this and every one since.
woah interesting ive never thought about that 5.3 bars concept.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnr View Post
I didn't find it very pleasing to listen to, the topend of the snare has this annoying "clicking" sound and is clipping half of the time. And there is something going on with the stereo image, which I think is an artistic experiment. If anything, I blame the beatmaker because the vocals are actually quite nice.
funny you say that. the first time i ever heard him i was like WTFFFF that snare is raping my eardrum haha. a year later i went to electric forest and people were literally SPRINTING to his set, go to check it out, super lackluster ESPECIALLY considering he was just djing his masters. but everyone loved it...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleBeam View Post
hey there,

literally been a lurker for more than a decade now but i've never really felt compelled to create an account before now i guess

but yeah, would you expand on this triplet 5 1/3 bars concept. i dont quite get it but that feels interesting!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

His abuse of sidechaining makes me feel seasick. He is not the only person guilty of this but still.
Old 2 weeks ago
Xnr
Gear Nut

What do we learn from all this? Always check your final mix on headphones.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear