The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Equipment used Classic Wu-Tang productions
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Equipment used Classic Wu-Tang productions

Hey guys

Do you know what equipment was used for the old classic Wu productions like Raekwon - only built 4 Cuban Linx, GZA - Liquid Swords, Method Man - Tical?

I am not looking for the vocal side of things. I am more interested about the beats. I know the sound is very rough and raw and gritty but it also has a very nice warmth in it. I dunno maybe saturation, tube compressor??? I know the beats came out of RZA's Roland drum machine, but was used beside the drum machine? What about for example an Avalon Channel Strip? Or any other equipment. I once saw the whole list of equipment of the D&D Studios....

Additional to my question do you guys know how I can get that nice warm sound / saturation with todays plugins? The UAD Avalon maybe? Again I'm looking for the beats side of things. My productions are not as raw as the 90s Wu stuff, but should have an equal warmth in it.

Thanks guys!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

SP1200 if I'm not mistaken
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If I remeber correctly I read RZA used the EPS (I think the classic, not the 16)
BTW IMO 36 chambers is not in my Top10 when it comes to sound. It is a great album but just like PE- It takes a nation of millions it sound kind of weird IMO (now. back then I didn't care ). It takes a nation.... IS in my Top10 of all HipHop albums tho. It was the first HipHop vinyl I bought new (before that I only bought a few Grandmaster Flash records from a friend)
peace
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Actually, if you want that Wu Tang sound you need to buy his new hand sanitizer

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/202...and-sanitizer/
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Actually, if you want that Wu Tang sound you need to buy his new hand sanitizer
That **** is fantastic

Quote:
BTW IMO 36 chambers is not in my Top10 when it comes to sound
Honestly - definitely! When it comes to sound it is actually (30 years later of course) even quite bad imo.

Yes I think your right with the SP1200 or the EPS but they most have done something when the sound came out of the SP-1200 that was basically my question. I don't want to make the sound from Wu-Tang back in the days I just like the warmth in it. Which I think could come from some outboard equipment. But I can be completely wrong and they just got it out of the drum machine and put the vocals on top of it..... I am curious on how they tweaked the sound when it came out the drum machine (tube compressor, saturation,...)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I’ve spent a lot of time attempting to recreate this vibe and era of HipHop.

Check the link. If this is similar to the sound you are looking for I can point you in the right direction.

https://statixxmusic.bandcamp.com/track/sun-tzu
(I’m the vocalist as well as the producer of this composition!)

#ShamelessPlug
Old 1 week ago
Rza had an asr-10 @ firehouse with the output expander

Firehouse had a peavey board

414eb mic
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

anyone know what synthesizer was used on Method Man's 'Tical' album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faru12 View Post
... I know the beats came out of RZA's Roland drum machine ...
the Roland MV wasn't out yet when these albums were recorded, the drums/samples must be from the SP, EPS, or (most likely, at this point in time) ASR samplers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
anyone know what synthesizer was used on Method Man's 'Tical' album?

the Roland MV wasn't out yet when these albums were recorded, the drums/samples must be from the SP, EPS, or (most likely, at this point in time) ASR samplers.
i think he used a bass station at that time.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
I think there are already threads on this subject.

Carlos Bess posts here at gearslutz and i think he was one of the engineers in the studio for 36 chambers.

Who mixed Wu Tang - Enter the 36?

Quote:
The only microphone that was used was an AKG-C414 EB

At the time RZa used an SP-1200, EPS 16 Plus then Graduated to an ASR-10. We would lockup the units to tape using a Roland SBX-80

The Following machines were used for the following Tracks

1 Bring da Ruckus - EPS16+
2 Shame on a Nigga - ASR10
3 Clan in da Front - ASR10
4 Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber - ASR10
5 Can It Be All So Simple/Intermission ASR10 /Sp-1200 for Intermission
6 Da Mystery of Chessboxin' ASR 10
7 Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing ta F' Wit - EPS16+
8 C.R.E.A.M. EPS16+
9 Method Man SP1200
10 Protect Ya Neck EPS16+
11 Tearz -EPS16+
12 Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber, Pt. 2 ASR 10

Most vocal Performaces were flown in using Akai -S-1000 Stereo Sampler. We would sample a lead vocal on the left with a Snare or kik on the right for reference then fly in the verses in their places.
I that same thread, I think someone mentioned that it was mastered to a chrome cassette via a 4 track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLOS_C12_BESS

TASCAM 244 portastudio 4 track was used to bounce final mixes from DAT to highspeed 4 track Cassette with Maxell MX 60 Chrome Cassettes.
Later on, I think Rza used a Kurzweil keyboard quite a bit on Wu-Tang Forever. Live instruments for things such as violins on Reunited. I think he had a nord drum. He eventually moved on to Roland MC-909 and then Roland MV-8800

Almost all these hip hop producers from the early 90s don't still use that old equipment. I watch videos of them today and they've all upgraded their gear while some fans chase down the gear they used 30 years ago for nostalgia. You're not going to be able to recreate the sound of 36 Chambers. Even Wu-Tang themselves can't manage to do that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search