The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Triton VSTi vs Steinberg Halion Sonic3/Halion 6
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear
Korg Triton VSTi vs Steinberg Halion Sonic3/Halion 6

If you were making 90’s influenced R&B, think Timbaland and the Neptunes, which plugin would you pick and can you explain your reasoning why?

The Steinberg has all the sounds from the Yamaha Motif range and includes both the arpeggiator and Flex Phraser (midi phrase sequencer). The Korg has most of the sounds from the Triton range but only includes a bog standard arpeggiator.
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
If you were making 90’s influenced R&B, think Timbaland and the Neptunes, which plugin would you pick and can you explain your reasoning why?

The Steinberg has all the sounds from the Yamaha Motif range and includes both the arpeggiator and Flex Phraser (midi phrase sequencer). The Korg has most of the sounds from the Triton range but only includes a bog standard arpeggiator.
As far as I can tell, the Triton VSTi has *all* the sounds, from all the built-in ROM to all 9 EXB cards.

That being said, if I were making 90's influenced R&B I'd probably use the Triton because (most importantly) I have it, and also because most of those 90's R&B sounds came from a Triton to begin with.

And how hard is it to use an external sequencer?
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Triton.. Its what they used
Old 4th March 2020
Here for the gear

You can produce 90's influenced r&b with both, it doesn't really matter, it all comes down to the actual arrangement (the drums patterns, the character of the melodies etc..).

However, I've got both and I can tell you that halion sonic sounds way better than triton in all categories. So, if I had to pick only one of them, I would pick halion sonic.

Btw, as an owner of moxf keyboard (which contains the motif library of sounds) I still don't get it why people everywhere seems to mention halion sonic and motif together, as if they are identical. The motif has a completely different library than the halion sonic (drum kits, pianos, guitars...everything is different) and is of a much higher quality than halion sonic.
Old 5th March 2020
Gear Addict

Triton, because they used those same exact sounds.
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

I been in many major studios when I was mixing for major labels back in the 90s and I seen way more motifs in studios then Korg tritons. Korg tritons were in alot of my friends studios who were bedroom producers, however in the real studios there's always a motif.

Last edited by trevon; 10th September 2020 at 08:32 AM..
Old 5th September 2020
Gear Addict

I had a motif rack and a moxf and I can say that halion is not motif port. But halion is more that just a virtual workstation it s more an all you can eat buffet. The Triton vst is cool but not 199 worth. Back then the EMU racks were also very prominent.
📝 Reply