The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
s900 + mpc 60 help
Old 4th February 2020
Here for the gear

s900 + mpc 60 help

Hi, I recently got an s900 to play around with my mpc 60.
I am a bit of a dumby when it comes to midi but I have been able to play around with sampling on the s900 and triggering with the mpc 60.
How can I record the s900 samples on the 60 while hearing the mpc 60’s clicks?
Also I read that something will be lost in the sound by resampling The s900 into the 60. What is the best way for me to keep the sound of s900 played through the mpc 60?
My current setup is turntable - mixer - mpc 60.

I have no computer.

Thanks for your help.

Mitchell
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear
Easy...The S900 is going to the Audio inputs on your MPC,

So that doesn't affect your ability to hear the click, it will be coming out whatever outputs it is routed to, I assume you can select when it sounds (like other MPC's) so just make sure its set for "Recording"

As far as "losing" the S900 sound...You're using an MPC 60? I've never used one, but it has the reputation of being very warm and appealing.

I would think it may ADD to the S900 12-bit goodness, you very well might wind up with something BETTER,

Don't knock it till you've heard it with your own ears.....but as far as NOT coloring the S900 sounds......I believe the MPC 60 has digital I/0? Maybe not, but if it does, that's your best bet. If it allows sample transfer via sysex, that's also a good way to not affect the sound.
Old 5th February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks Dee.. so I have mpc and s900 connected by midi cable and also 1/4 inch cables from s900 inputs to mpc 60 inputs? And monitors connected to the mpc 60?

Sorry my brain doesn’t visualize these things well.
M
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear
As far as I understand you want to trigger the 900 from the MPC and also record this on the MPC, correct?
I don't own a 60 but I doubt that this is possible. You have to be in sample mode on the 60 to record. This won't allow you to play a sequence and therefor the 900 won't get the MIDI messages to play anything..
Also dee is wrong. Sysex are MIDI messages and it's not possible (at least to my knowledge) to send it via a digital audio I/O.
He probably ment Sysex MIDI SampleDump but this will be transfered via the MIDI cables.

peace
Old 5th February 2020
Here for the gear

Bump
Old 6th February 2020
Here for the gear
Why do you want to record your S900 samples into the MPC60? Why not leave them in the 900 (if you are worried about compromising its sonic character) and simply do your sequencing on the 60? Then if you get to the point where you want to trigger samples out of both machines, you would run the outputs of both into a mixer and then to your monitors.
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

i have done a few albums back in the day using MPC60s and S900s.

the MPCs we used had multi outputs. 8 if memory serves me correctly.

i vaguely remember that my old Akai S950 was mono out, and 12 bitt. it sounded ok if you recorded into it with hot levels.
if you sampled into it, with low signal input level, then it sounded low fi.

i used to take stuff off 2 inch, and then loop up a drum sample, tune it and save to floppy.

showing my age here...

Buddha
Old 10th February 2020
You can't use the S900 audio through the MPC as far as I know - they both need to be on individual inputs of a mixing console, especially if you have individual outputs on the MPC so that you can apply effects or dynamics to each channel as required. The S900 would be triggered by the MPC over midi which the MPC program saves as midi triggers only no audio so the song needs the S900 disc loading each time along with the MPC disc. For your set up you definitely need a mixing console.
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

re

well you could just sample the 900 into the mpc, as stated above but its doesnt really make sense unless you need to free up room in the 900 maybe or just because they both have very small sample time by today's standards. Just record them both and sequence form the mpc. In truth the sampler in both of those are about the same. There are some minor differences but not much. I still use both of those all the time in one of my rigs. 950s/900s have outputs for each voice (i guess some dont have this card but all of mine do) and then they have the one out that does all voices which is a good one to monitor from depending on how your program is set up and what type of sounds your using etc (drum hits, slices, vs some sort of chromatic instruments)
Old 12th February 2020
You may want to reconsider the workflow. You get a fair bit more flexibility with sample time using the S900 and the sample engines are about the same for both boxes. Premier never used the sampler on his 60, and used that as the sequencer only.(Im sure there were times when that wasnt the case, but generally speaking the sampler was where audio lived). If you used the MPC this way, it would be much less complicated, your midi projects live on the MPC and samples in the S900. This would be better than a mix of both IMO.
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

Okay thank you all for the input. I should clarify about my current workflow. I’ve always went:

Turntable -> mixer -> mpc 60 (saving work to a scsi2sd)

I love the workflow of the mpc. And I think the sampler can sound quite good when you push it and use the mixer accordingly.

I got an s900 locally for very cheap with a bunch of floppies last year. I just started playing around with it and it has a pretty great sound. I don’t love the workflow but the sound it puts out makes me want to add it to the mpc 60.

I have midi’d the two together and I can play the sounds on the 900 through the 60’s pads, but when I go to record a sequence I can’t hear the 60’s clicks of the metronome.

I’ve read that re sampling the 900 into the 60 isn’t a great option. I don’t have much interest in that way.

Like I said before, I get confused with midi.

As good as the 900 sounds, I like keeping the workflow simple and with the 60 it’s as straight forward as can be.

Should I just cut out the 900? Or is there a good simple way I can make these two work together?

Peace

Mitchell
Old 13th February 2020
If the metronome is the only thing that isn't working in your set up you could try loading a click to the MPC and make a metronome track to play over then delete the metronome track when you're done. I don't see why the metronome isn't working on the MPC though but I use a 2000XL so maybe there's a difference with how the metronome works.

To improve your workflow further get a mixing console (which you can find 2nd hand at a reasonable price which will also let you apply effects or dynamics to each track if you have the individual outputs) so that you have turntable > mixer > mpc & S900 > mixing console. You would need to swap your dj mixer between the MPC and the S900 to sample unless you have way to split the signal. For my set up I use a half normalized patch bay so I can interrupt the routing and send to the S900 when necessary.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search