The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Balancing a two-track beat and vocals...
Old 31st January 2020
Here for the gear

Balancing a two-track beat and vocals...

I usually mix vocals over a two-track WAV beat, and one of the biggest issues I run into is balancing the levels of the beat and vocals. I usually begin my mixing session by balancing the two, but I never seem to get it quite right.

A lot of the time, I'll think I have the two balanced, but then I'll compress the vocals (I usually use compressors with an auto makeup gain feature), and then the vocals sound too loud, and it starts to sound like they aren't really in the pocket or "glued" together with the beat. At that point, it starts to make it sound more like someone speaking into a microphone instead of a cohesive song, which really takes away from how immersive and professional the track sounds. Sometimes I'll think it sounds in the pocket with the beat, but then I'll export it, listen to it, and then realize the vocals are either way too loud or quiet.

I've seen some people recommend balancing the beat and vocals in mono, but I haven't had much success with that either.

Does anyone have any tips? It's hard to explain, but it seems like the vocals in the songs I mix for people never seem to be "connected" to the beat, and it's frustrating. It seems like this is a common problem, though, because the example mixes from engineers with lower prices/presumably less skill level on websites where people sell mixing services seem to usually have the same issue. It's almost like the vocals don't sound laid across the beat, and they're more-so just superimposed on top of it. Yes, the performance of the artist (timing, singing, etc.) can affect how cohesive it sounds too, but I've heard joke songs that had professional mixing that didn't have the problem I've described.
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear
There are 873 threads on this exact problem. If you find my posts (which I'm too tired to retype for the 874th time), that's the best way to do it. But that method tends to make people's heads hurt from brain strain so they typically just EQ the holy bejesus out of everything as a band-aid. Good luck.
Old 2nd February 2020
Quote:
Does anyone have any tips? It's hard to explain, but it seems like the vocals in the songs I mix for people never seem to be "connected" to the beat, and it's frustrating.
When i mix things like this, I may color and EQ the vocal to sound like the beat. Then i use some Mid and Side EQ techniques to edit the beat slightly and then i insert the vocal so it sits in the beat nicely.
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
When i mix things like this, I may color and EQ the vocal to sound like the beat. Then i use some Mid and Side EQ techniques to edit the beat slightly and then i insert the vocal so it sits in the beat nicely.
Thanks for the tips CJ. That may just come in handy for me very soon.
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
...and duck/ride the beat in the center(m/s) to the vocal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search