The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
90s Hiphop hardware gear
Old 28th January 2020
Here for the gear

90s Hiphop hardware gear

I've made a thread some time back about going DAW-less. I've been using a MPC2500 and SP-404A to produce my music and have had much success with mixing in the box and literally having to export it and practically be finished. I would like some opinions on how I can take my sound to the next level. in the future I plan on buying a MPC 3000 but I'm trying to figure out what's the best way for me to have that warm and full sound. I don't know if I should start with getting rack gear such as compressors or if recording to tape will do the trick.
Old 28th January 2020
Gear Maniac
Just a suggestion: try a cheap 12bit sampler like the roland s330 in combination with a cool elay pedal (oto bim?)... this would increase „warmth“ drastically

Regarding outboard/tape: imho saving money and pay a pro mixing engineer that has all that gear to do a mix is a good, but more and more underrated solution...
Old 29th January 2020
Gear Maniac
There's a million ways to achieve what you want.

- Mix in the box (export to PC, then use plugins to mix / master).

- Tape / VCR (tape machines are old and need service)

- Outboard gear: Warm EQ, Bus comp, etc.

- Pay someone to master your tracks.

There is no set in stone shopping list. You'll have to decide what you want and make it work.
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

The MPC 3000 will do alot less than the MPC 2500 and you may not notice any differences to the sound that can't be accomplished using other methods. I'd say in order to go DAW-less and make music that is comparable to music made with DAW's today, you're going to have to have a setup that would include a console, various rack reverbs, eq's, delay's, and compressors or at the very least, a digital mixer that has those features built-in.

With that said, I just saw a Roland VS2400CD at a pawn shop for a few hundred bucks. If I was going for a DAW-less setup, I'd be all over that thing and an external ADA.
Old 30th January 2020
Gear Head
Hi! If you looking for that golden era sound, look for:

12 Bit sampler - Akai s900/950, EMU Emax, Roland S550 or Yamaha TX16W. Choose the right one for you. The 12 bit sound is a must have for drums!

Vintage studio mixer - I have an Tascam M-308 but you can look for Soundcraft, Mackie or Neve [When you have that amount of money].

I would keep the MPC 2500 and use it as a MIDI sequencer for Akai s900 or other 12 bit sampler. I mainly produce Boom Bap [I like that early 90's sound] and I collect vintage studio outboard from the 80's and 90's but I use VST's too! Try VST's like Waves Kramer, UHE Satin or Waves Factory Casette to add some saturation to the beats.
Old 31st January 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskool Bwoy View Post
Hi! If you looking for that golden era sound, look for:

12 Bit sampler - Akai s900/950, EMU Emax, Roland S550 or Yamaha TX16W. Choose the right one for you. The 12 bit sound is a must have for drums!
SP2400
Old 15th February 2020
Here for the gear
Record your all your samples to a cassette tape (including your drum one shots) & EQ to taste before dumping them into your MPC & chopping them up. There's no need to go completely DAW-less, digitally dump your audio files on separate tracks, use the RC-20 & Vulf compressor on your master bus.
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
SP2400
Not even out yet.

This neither, but soon:
https://instagram.com/low_hiss?igshid=1uxmwj8ca9niv
Old 19th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Not even out yet.

This neither, but soon:
https://instagram.com/low_hiss?igshid=1uxmwj8ca9niv
It will be out sometime around april this year.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search