The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this vocal chain decent enough to pair with the TLM 103?
Old 17th January 2020
Here for the gear

Is this vocal chain decent enough to pair with the TLM 103?

I’m new here so I’m not sure if this is the right place to post but I need help. I make Alternative Psychedelic/Trap music. Think of Travis Scott mixed with a little Tame Impala! I ordered the following to guarantee decent quality for recording in my apartment. (I have carpet)

- ISOVOX 2 Isolation Vocal Booth (my room is not treated)
- TLM 103M Microphone
- Camden’s new 500 series Mojo Preamp. I heard nothing but perfect reviews about this thing.
- Lindell’s Audio 7x500 compressor
- A lunchbox
- Audient i4 which is what I would be using for an audio interface.

So far that is my gear. Did I make the right choice? The mission is to capture a full, smooth and warm recording then using my daw to enhance the vocals with FX (similar to the style desired).

I’m willing to spend $1K more if it will do my setup any more justice. All advice appreciated....
Old 18th January 2020
Recording vocals in untreated rooms is a thing... If you're still getting room sound in your recordings, a supercardioid or hypercardiod microphone may be better for you.

I think you overspent a bit on gear and underspent on acoustic treatment but that's a common theme on Gearslutz (surprise).
Old 18th January 2020
Quote:
I ordered the following to guarantee decent quality for recording in my apartment. (I have carpet)

- ISOVOX 2 Isolation Vocal Booth (my room is not treated)
- TLM 103M Microphone
- Camden’s new 500 series Mojo Preamp. I heard nothing but perfect reviews about this thing.
- Lindell’s Audio 7x500 compressor
- A lunchbox
- Audient i4 which is what I would be using for an audio interface.
Awesome pro sounding vocals have been recorded with a lot less. Its not the gear that is going to get you what you want. Its your voice, your room and your recording techniques.

So giving this new info, with the gear you are getting, you can either record a bunch of crap with it or record great vocals. Because gears doesn't matter like you think it does.
Example: You can buy the most expensive paint brush and depending on your skills, you can wither paint a great painting a a piece a stick figure.
Quote:
I’m willing to spend $1K more if it will do my setup any more justice. All advice appreciated....
If you cant do it with that, then you can spend 1,000,000,000 more and it wont help
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

You don't need anything else. I also have a neumann tlm 103. You honestly just need to mix your vocals and find the right chain for your voice. Play around with EQ and Compression and different reverb units until you find it. It may take months but you will eventually find it, then just save a template of that fx chain every time you load a new session. I used to obsess over gear before but its really about the talent and the mixing and also finding a mic that fits your voice. That's it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search