The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Having trouble sitting vocals in the mix
Old 8th January 2020
Here for the gear

Having trouble sitting vocals in the mix

Currently I am recording in a square space with hardwood floors and a sound shield that is in the front of my cardioid microphone (2i2 scarlet). My vocals sound decent on their own, my question is if the issue is solvable. How do I go about allowing my vocal to be in the instrumental rather than sitting on top of it awkwardly staring into the sunset.
Old 9th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonmusic View Post
Currently I am recording in a square space with hardwood floors and a sound shield that is in the front of my cardioid microphone (2i2 scarlet). My vocals sound decent on their own, my question is if the issue is solvable. How do I go about allowing my vocal to be in the instrumental rather than sitting on top of it awkwardly staring into the sunset.
Its pretty easy once you figure out how to mix the song to allow the frequencies of the vocal to sit in the center without any other predominant frequencies getting in the way.

You do this by implementing 'complimentary EQ techniques to all the tracks in the song
And you also do it by creating a 3D stereo filed and place instruments not only left right and center, back front center, back hard left, middle hard right, front 50% left and so on
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

Hey Arlington! I would download a free frequency analyzer and put that on your vocal track. Then you will be able to see where to cut other frequencies on the other instruments to let your vocal track through a little bit better. Try cutting some 3000-4000-hz frequencies out of the other instruments.

Hope that helps.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Maniac
Mix the entire song as one. Don’t just mix the beat, then mix the vocals as separate processes. One example is to: Do your drums and bass. Then add in the vocals. Then add in rest of instruments around, under, behind what you have already.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
Mix the entire song as one. Don’t just mix the beat, then mix the vocals as separate processes. One example is to: Do your drums and bass. Then add in the vocals. Then add in rest of instruments around, under, behind what you have already.
This but I would start with the vocals.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear
If you have a multitracked beat, you have to treat the whole thing as one cohesive thing; not a separate beat and a separate vocal.

If you have a compressed and limited 2 track beat as a stereo track, well, things just got a lot more difficult. You need to restore some of the transients in the beat and then sidechain compress ALL the vox from the beat to mimic the effect that buss compression would have on both if they were buss compressed together (this is how you get rid of the dreaded "my vocal isn't blending with the beat" complaints). I used to be the master at this stuff and people accused me of using magic (not magic, just engineering knowledge), but I rarely do any 2track type mixing anymore. A lot of people will recommend EQing out midrange frequencies from the beat, but this is a sloppy bandaid that doesn't sound very good IMO, and it assumes that the beat had too much midrange in the first place which is a crazy assumption.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Gain staging, compression and eqing. Try cutting out some low mid muddy frequencies. Most the issues will be frequencies fighting for space. Panning is also your friend.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
If you have a multitracked beat, you have to treat the whole thing as one cohesive thing; not a separate beat and a separate vocal.

If you have a compressed and limited 2 track beat as a stereo track, well, things just got a lot more difficult. You need to restore some of the transients in the beat and then sidechain compress ALL the vox from the beat to mimic the effect that buss compression would have on both if they were buss compressed together (this is how you get rid of the dreaded "my vocal isn't blending with the beat" complaints). I used to be the master at this stuff and people accused me of using magic (not magic, just engineering knowledge), but I rarely do any 2track type mixing anymore. A lot of people will recommend EQing out midrange frequencies from the beat, but this is a sloppy bandaid that doesn't sound very good IMO, and it assumes that the beat had too much midrange in the first place which is a crazy assumption.
I understand sidechain compressing but what would you recommend more the vocals compressing/ducking the 2track or having the 2track ducking and compressing down the vocal and how much db would you recommend? I’ve always used some form of this technique but never really know which sounds better to blend together, ducking the beat from the vocal or ducking the vocal from the beat
Old 4 weeks ago
I recommend dynamic eq on a less than stellar 2 track beat.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxolly View Post
I understand sidechain compressing but what would you recommend more the vocals compressing/ducking the 2track or having the 2track ducking and compressing down the vocal and how much db would you recommend? I’ve always used some form of this technique but never really know which sounds better to blend together, ducking the beat from the vocal or ducking the vocal from the beat
Ducking the track would be very bad.

Using sidechanined compression on the vocal isn't ducking, your just trying to make it match the feel of the track. You can mix the vocal more or less into the compressor to get it just right.

Still EQ is your friend.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search