The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Bass Options For Old School Hip-Hop
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Best Bass Options For Old School Hip-Hop

I've been looking at things like Trilian and Modo Bass. I'd like to find a good option that covers a wide range. That being said, I would love a realistic sounding program to fit those needs. I know Trilian has been around for years. Have they updated it? Will they release something new anytime soon? Does Modo sound realistic? I like the idea of having the acoustic bass available but Modo doesn't have it. Which would you recommend to someone who leans more toward old school boom bap type hip-hop. I mostly like to use realistic basses and if it's a synth it's no more than a sub. I'd like to learn to program a synth but haven't.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Honestly, for the most part, those artists sampled old basslines (that were soloing on songs, usually). You're really not going to replicate that sound with modern bass synths.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Any of the new Moog offerings wold work just fine for that...
Old 5 days ago
Omnisphere is better than Trillian in terms of bass patches. It can also load Trillian patches if you get it as well as Trillian.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Firstly, please define “Old School Hip-Hop”. Thant’s potentially a huge umbrella.

I also agree a bass VST is not going to recreate samples of live bass guitars and stand up basses.

It all depends on the sounds you’re trying to make and your standards.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

A simple sine wave keyboard patch can work wonders on boom bap. You could also hire a live bass player, or get one shot bass samples and just pitch them in a sampler like the MPC does when you tune in 16-level. Low pass filter to taste.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search