The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Proof gear and engineering can turn a horrible performance to butter.
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Head

Proof gear and engineering can turn a horrible performance to butter.

This ends the debate. I know the rough mix probably sounded horrible.

Old 13th December 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

****ty grained modelling clay in place of vocals still. Polished turd.
Old 13th December 2019
Sound horrible to me, very annoying voice to me and thew chorus melody is stolen from another song. A Michael Jackson song!
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Head

I agree. I am no hater at all but I am not sure how there were people on social media actually saying this was a good song.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

7 million views in 2 days... Get mad all you want but he is winning.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

More like a cover of a Michael Jackson song.

I liked it. I liked the rock vibe. They could have easily thrown some 808's in there and really trapped it up, but they kept it pretty close to the original from a production stand point. Some of the critiques on the mixing choices seem more like creative mixing touches and not trying to cover up a bad recording.

The arrangement of the song worked very well for a rapper. They changed the lyrics, but yeah, I thought it was a good song.

Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
More like a cover of a Michael Jackson song.

I liked it. I liked the rock vibe. They could have easily thrown some 808's in there and really trapped it up, but they kept it pretty close to the original from a production stand point. Some of the critiques on the mixing choices seem more like creative mixing touches and not trying to cover up a bad recording.

The arrangement of the song worked very well for a rapper. They changed the lyrics, but yeah, I thought it was a good song.

Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson.
Yea like the mix sounded really clean and s/o to the engineer who did this but youngboy's pitch was all over the place and he sounded pretty horrible and annoying.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
7 million views in 2 days... Get mad all you want but he is winning.
I am not mad at all. The point of the post was about how a good engineer can turn a bad performance into a something decent sonically and this is a good example of this.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMBEAU View Post
Yea like the mix sounded really clean and s/o to the engineer who did this but youngboy's pitch was all over the place and he sounded pretty horrible and annoying.
He most definitely is all over the place, but then again he is a rapper and not a singer.

They did use Auto-tune on his vocals so either it sounded way worse when they cut his vocals or they just fixed some of it as that was the sound and performance they were going for.

I still find the song good even with the singing being pretty horrible because the song is about a girl that he loved that screwed him over and him singing in the song reflects that pain.

It's art, and you don't like it and that's cool as art is subjective.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search