The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any ideas on these Mix effects?
Old 1st December 2019
Here for the gear

Any ideas on these Mix effects?

Hey Everyone first post but I've been around these forums a lot in my years of engineering and mixing. I'm working with an artist right now and would really love to get a mix sounding close to this one here

Obviously wont be able to get it exactly the same which i don't mind I can put my own taste on it , would just be cool to get a similar effect going and figure out the plugin chain that was used

Thanks for your help hopefully I'll be around the forums more frequent now that Engineering has become my full time

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 10th December 2019 at 12:54 PM..
Old 5th December 2019
Quote:
would just be cool to get a similar effect going and figure out the plugin chain that was used
Their plugin chain will only work if you have the same exact recorded instruments. More goes into the sound of a song, then the master bus plugin chain. Yuo have probably 15 bus's and 40 tracks all with hundreds of different plugin effects and hardware effects on them.
If you have a 30 track song and each track has an EQ and other effects on them, and you have 10 bus's for reverbs, chorus, delays, drums bus, vocal bus and so on, you can have over 100 effects.

Did you record everything the sounding kinda the same? As if you want to sound like something, then you need to start with the 'kinda' the same sounding instrument tracks. so start there in the recording stage and get the same sounding instruments.

What effects you use and how you set them is determined by your original source sounds. If your instrument tracks are different form theirs, then you will need different plugins and different plugin settings to achieve something close.

For someone to tell you what you need to do, that person will have to listen to all your instrument tracks and then take some time to see what effects and settings each instrument needs to sound like that song you want it to sound lie. In essence that person will have to mix it for you. But you can do it by yourself, by just listening to your tracks, and then applying what needs to be applied. Only you know this, as we do not know what your source tracks sound like.
Old 6th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Their plugin chain will only work if you have the same exact recorded instruments. More goes into the sound of a song, then the master bus plugin chain. Yuo have probably 15 bus's and 40 tracks all with hundreds of different plugin effects and hardware effects on them.
If you have a 30 track song and each track has an EQ and other effects on them, and you have 10 bus's for reverbs, chorus, delays, drums bus, vocal bus and so on, you can have over 100 effects.

Did you record everything the sounding kinda the same? As if you want to sound like something, then you need to start with the 'kinda' the same sounding instrument tracks. so start there in the recording stage and get the same sounding instruments.

What effects you use and how you set them is determined by your original source sounds. If your instrument tracks are different form theirs, then you will need different plugins and different plugin settings to achieve something close.

For someone to tell you what you need to do, that person will have to listen to all your instrument tracks and then take some time to see what effects and settings each instrument needs to sound like that song you want it to sound lie. In essence that person will have to mix it for you. But you can do it by yourself, by just listening to your tracks, and then applying what needs to be applied. Only you know this, as we do not know what your source tracks sound like.

Sorry definitely meant to say for the vocals alone not the instrumental as its a 2track which is a similar sounding beat already. The vocals were recorded on the exact same setup as the artist mentioned a u87 and Avalon 737... Was hoping more for an answer "oh he used this kind of doubler/stereo imager on the chorus" or "sounds like he compressed the vocals more than usual or added a lot of parallel compression" ... Appreciate the response but I already know what goes into a mix I've mixed some top charting rap records myself... I was just hoping for a bit of input to broaden my sound if you have any ideas

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search