The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jesus is King
Old 30th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Jesus is King

anyone have info on the recording of kanye's album/ Just saw an interview at his ranch and he's sitting there with a pair of Krk's and a UA apollo. could this be what he actually uses?? Hard to believe...
Old 30th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebjam View Post
anyone have info on the recording of kanye's album/ Just saw an interview at his ranch and he's sitting there with a pair of Krk's and a UA apollo. could this be what he actually uses?? Hard to believe...
Here's a Pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Jesus is King-screen-shot-2019-11-29-8.36.18-pm.png  
Old 3rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Why not? Lots of music is recorded at home and then sent off to Mix. A UA Apollo Twin sounds worlds better than the Pro Tools Mix systems that were used in every million dollar studio 15 years ago.
Old 4th December 2019
Here for the gear

I also think he uses this equipment! With the UAD Twin, we're still on professional equipment... Especially since in this interview, we can see that his Twin is connected to an Apollo in the rack at the bottom right of your screenshot. In another interview with BigBoi, we see this rack again but with a Shelford Channel from Rupert Neve, again, we are on very very professional equipment....

But I don't think it's very important this material because what matters is the artist's performance during the recording, especially with Kanye West. I'd say it's a bonus to be able to record it with such good equipment.
Old 4 weeks ago
I am pretty sure that he produces most of the track at the ranch, and then partners with Mike Dean at his studio for the final mix down. At least this is how I think his last record was produced.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncori View Post
I am pretty sure that he produces most of the track at the ranch, and then partners with Mike Dean at his studio for the final mix down. At least this is how I think his last record was produced.
Mike is mixing records ITB wherever they are. Mike mixes on tour buses, in AirBnBs, Hotel suites. There is no “studio” in that sense. Mike stays on the road with Travis Scott and Kanye. He mixes wherever he is and they are.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I guess my main question was if Kanye’s vocals are done straight through the Apollo..... no way to be sure but I’d be surprised if a Neve or sum such wasn’t involved
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

As I told before, in these videos (especially the interview with Big Boi), you can see a Shelford Channel from Rupert Neve. I'm pretty sure he rec through this or equivalent (Neve/Bae 1073).
Old 3 weeks ago
Yea, its hard to tell in the photo if he is just going straight into the Apollo from the Mic. He might have a preamp in front of it like the Shelford Channel mentioned before. He may be using the Unison preamp modeling feature of the Apollo as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
The photo doesn't tell you much. He may just use this setup for quickly jotting down ideas, he might use it to do finished stuff. It may even just be a set for the interview. The quality of equipment these days means that you really can have stuff that would put many studios to shame a few years ago at home. It's about the artist rather than the gear now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here is a little vid from YT that might have some insight... who produced Jesus is King https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnmfSqaqiHk and general blather here that you can probably dig some info out... just have to go down some rabbit holes for a bit https://www.spin.com/2019/10/kanye-w...album-details/ gl

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search