The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
(Newbie) virtual scratching gear purchase
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Maniac

(Newbie) virtual scratching gear purchase

I'm curious about getting into virtual scratching (transitioning from vinyl-scratching which I was into back in the 90s) but know very little about it.
Being able to scratch as before, the same sound quality while having easy access to and customizing my own scratch records without wearing out (hard to find replacement) vinyl.

1) What gear/software do I need to buy/replace?
I already have a single Technics SL-1210 Mk. II turntable, a (still working since the late 80s) simple 4 channel DJ-mixer and a Mac Powerbook Pro (OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks) and I'm about to buy a new cartridge (Ortofon Concorde Mk II mix) to replace my old worn out Shure needle.

2) Is it possible to set up a combined digital/analog system so I can continue playing my vinyl? Do I need a new mixer for that?

3) which software do you recommend, and why? Remember I only have one turntable, so I really don't need anything very sophisticated I guess, but just something that works for scratching.

4) Instead of using a computer, is it possible to have a small hardware box of some sort with the DJ software built-in and the "vinyl" for scratching the MP3 files on say SD or CF memory cards? Since I use the laptop for other things it would be great to just switch on a small box like that and scratch any time I wanted without connecting the laptop, loading the software etc.

Last edited by rhythmcomposer; 28th November 2019 at 11:17 PM..
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear
I guess most people will recommend serato so I leave it to them to explain how it works
But you can also go another route which aswer your last question.
Yes it is possible to run a 'small box' with DJ Software (to be honest:this 'box' is a computer too ).
It's the raspberry pi. On this small computer you can run Linux with a DJ software called MIXXX. You also need an interface for it to connect your turntables.
This way is a bit 'nerdy' and since most people use serato there are probably not that much people to help you set up the system. You can search for raspberry at the forum
https://www.mixxx.org/forums/index.php
and might get help

Old 29th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Very interesting!
Geeky stuff usually means you need a lot of time/patience for troubleshooting so I'd rather prefer something more "out of the box" ready to use, but then again for $ 29 I don't think you can beat that pricewise

Come to think of it... has something like this been made for the iPad?
UPDATE: there appears to be an IOS (iPad/iPhone) app called DJ player professional for this. I don't know much about it -perhaps someone here's used it?

UPDATE: Since I already have an SL-1210 Mk. II, a DJ mixer (analog, phono inputs), a Macbook Pro (and an iPad if I can use that), a USB audio interface which should work for both the Mac and iPad (Focusrite 18i20) and the free Mixx software (for the Mac, or the abovementioned iPad app) I figure I could try this out without investing too much extra money before I understand how it works and what else I might need....

I believe all I need extra is a timecode vinyl record and I see there are a few brands to choose from. Are they all compatible with each other, or does say Serato demand a Serato timecode record, while Traktor uses their own and likewise Pioneer and so on?
And how about audio interfaces (sound-cards): do they all work with everything or do I need to figure out which "system" I want to use first (Serato, Traktor etc.), then go from there and buy something compatible for just that system?

Last edited by rhythmcomposer; 2nd December 2019 at 01:07 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search