The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the ASR10 still a necessary weapon nowadays?
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Is the ASR10 still a necessary weapon nowadays?

Hi guys,

I m building my setup with high end sound treatment equipment
And I am wondering if today the ASR10 still a special MOJO sound unit for your production?
If yes, please describe.
Peace
Sergio
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hi guys,

I m building my setup with high end sound treatment equipment
And I am wondering if today the ASR10 still a special MOJO sound unit for your production?
If yes, please describe.
Peace
Sergio
Sample
Filter
Dump in FL
Old 27th November 2019
BHW
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
Sample
Filter
Dump in FL
I cant agree. Sample, Chop and produce the pattern or the whole song on the asr. Different then only sampling and playing back in daw. because you will miss a few things this way.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I cant agree. Sample, Chop and produce the pattern or the whole song on the asr. Different then only sampling and playing back in daw. because you will miss a few things this way.
He said "special MOJO sound unit"
Plus chances are it will end up in the daw anyways so...
Old 27th November 2019
BHW
Gear Maniac

Quote:
He said "special MOJO sound unit"
Plus chances are it will end up in the daw anyways so...
the mojo is not only sampling and playing back. There are more things to the asr then that. Sampling into the unit, chopping the samples on the unit. Using it as a synth with its excelent transwave stuff, layering, FX the fast Sequencer etc. So you miss many things if you do it like you said.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Hello guys,
My question is if the ASR10 prints a special color or dynamic to the sound, so that it is worth buying it?
Regards
Sergio
Old 27th November 2019
BHW
Gear Maniac

Yes it does. But you will be disappointed if you only sample in and play it.
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Head

in my opinion it has a unique sonic quality. the filters are good. also the boost in the amp menu does disgusting things to drums. but is anything really necessary? it would be a nice addition yes. it is limited by its age
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it does. But you will be disappointed if you only sample in and play it.
To each his own. Me personally I would rather sip the Kool-Aid than use the ASR10 sequencer.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear
Does anyone still make beats on workstation keyboards.
Old 28th November 2019
BHW
Gear Maniac

Quote:
To each his own. Me personally I would rather sip the Kool-Aid than use the ASR10 sequencer.

the sequencer is one of the easiest and fastest on any sampler. i like the sequencer on the asr. does everything you need. and is fast, what else do you want from an sequencer?
Old 28th November 2019
BHW
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Does anyone still make beats on workstation keyboards.
i make them on the asr, eps, eps16. MPC, Motif etc. concentrating on one piece and only on making music has many benefits. no hassle with cables, signal routing, patching etc.

if the song is still missing something then i use additional instruments.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
the sequencer is one of the easiest and fastest on any sampler. i like the sequencer on the asr. does everything you need. and is fast, what else do you want from an sequencer?
Mpc sequencer>>>
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear
Necessary??? Of course not. I mean, ALMOST none of the hip-hop you hear on the radio uses an ASR. It's one of those pieces of gear you use because either a) you hate software, b) it makes you feel cool using it and gets your creative juices going, or c) you've got tons and tons of gear and it's something you have in your arsenal that gets whipped out once in a while.

I personally don't consider it's "mojo" very strong and certainly not something you can't get ITB. If you want mojo that's harder to reproduce, get an EPS (although you might need a steam engine to power it; I don't think they had electricity back then....). The sequencer on an ASR is, um, not great (I would call it "sufficient").

Also, bear in mind how old it is. There is only one legit person in the world who really knows Ensoniq devices, has all the parts, and can do flawless "factory" service. Anybody else doing repairs may or may not do it right. All these parts are old and even NOS parts have certain quirks that you have to be aware of. I know plenty of people how have sent Ensoniq gear to "keyboard repair" people with poor results. And he's in the US and the OP is in France. So that's gonna suck.
Old 28th November 2019
Here for the gear

I've owned about 4-5 of them over the years. I still have two of them and will have one given to me from a friend who passed. I like them for the effects and filtering. Was suprised Kanye used one for his service at Joel Osteen's church performance. I would say yes grab one if you are familiar with it. Just know its limited and its old but still relevant.
Old 30th November 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Necessary??? Of course not. I mean, ALMOST none of the hip-hop you hear on the radio uses an ASR. It's one of those pieces of gear you use because either a) you hate software, b) it makes you feel cool using it and gets your creative juices going, or c) you've got tons and tons of gear and it's something you have in your arsenal that gets whipped out once in a while.

I personally don't consider it's "mojo" very strong and certainly not something you can't get ITB. If you want mojo that's harder to reproduce, get an EPS (although you might need a steam engine to power it; I don't think they had electricity back then....). The sequencer on an ASR is, um, not great (I would call it "sufficient").

Also, bear in mind how old it is. There is only one legit person in the world who really knows Ensoniq devices, has all the parts, and can do flawless "factory" service. Anybody else doing repairs may or may not do it right. All these parts are old and even NOS parts have certain quirks that you have to be aware of. I know plenty of people how have sent Ensoniq gear to "keyboard repair" people with poor results. And he's in the US and the OP is in France. So that's gonna suck.
the eps an the asr are almost the same machine. the asr replaced the eps. you can load the same disks in both. one thing i forgot to mention about the asr was the keys were weighted a really nice keyboard. rubber chicken was the plug back then. if i had the ensoniq hard drive im sure my experience would have been even better.
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC_MAN View Post
the eps an the asr are almost the same machine.
EPS was a 13 bit machine and was decidedly grittier than the asr. They did not sound alike at all.
Old 3rd December 2019
Lives for gear

As a long term ASR 10 owner, I say no. It has it's place, it is a great machine, and still sounds good. How much do I use mine these days....I didn't know it was broken until a few weeks ago and have no idea when it broke (I think it is just fuses but still, not knowing or investigating shows my perspective more than words). Do I recommend one, sure, if you are outboard obsessed.

I also look at learning music in a way where if you like music you know was made on a certain machine, it is always good to spend significant time with one to understand not only how it sounds, but how it functions, what makes it unique. I often buy machines just to understand them and sell them. It used to be easy to do this and make a profit but not so much anymore.
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear

5 years ago lo-fi/tape/vinyl plugs sucked, but in 2019 you absolutely do not need an asr-10 unless you want to produce beats inside of it for whatever workflow reason.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Went over to a legendary producer's house and used his asr...as a laptop stand for my MacBook as I worked in Ableton

Couldn't resist lol
Old 11th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by innercitymusic View Post
I've owned about 4-5 of them over the years. I still have two of them and will have one given to me from a friend who passed. I like them for the effects and filtering. Was suprised Kanye used one for his service at Joel Osteen's church performance. I would say yes grab one if you are familiar with it. Just know its limited and its old but still relevant.
"Yeezus" loves that thing!
Old 11th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by innercitymusic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
5 years ago lo-fi/tape/vinyl plugs sucked, but in 2019 you absolutely do not need an asr-10 unless you want to produce beats inside of it for whatever workflow reason.
What plugs do you recommend? As I disagree that plugs can reproduce analog as well as hardware. Would love some recommendations though.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretolearn View Post

What plugs do you recommend? As I disagree that plugs can reproduce analog as well as hardware. Would love some recommendations though.
XLN rc-20 retro color is my favorite.

Also rx950 and decimort 2.

The main thing I haven't seen reproduced well is transposition artifacts which are quite nice on some old samplers.
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Addict

I owned an ensoniq epson 16+ as well as an ASR 10 and they are special machines. They do have limits but the limits are what make them great. I personally believe the sound engine and effects have a very unique sound. I always found my output from those machines was very high quality. They just have a very unique sound especially if you learn to work them.
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Maniac

It's as necessary as you want it to be.

Are there few modern alternatives that make The ASR redundant in terms of workflow and ease of use? Sure.
Will these modern alternatives satisfy your needs when it comes to producing? Only you can tell.

I used an EPS 16+ for a while and I used an MPC 2000 to sequence it and I also had a maschine.

I found the maschine software to be absolutely terrible and I felt that sampling with the EPS 16+ was tedious using the 2000 to sequence it was becoming somewhat pointless for my needs.

I sold the EPS 16 and maschine, kept the 2000, sold the 2000 and got a 1000, then sold the 1000 and got the MPC X.

From this I discovered exactly what I wanted to use and what I needed to use.

The MPC X is here to stay.
Old 4 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
EPS was a 13 bit machine and was decidedly grittier than the asr. They did not sound alike at all.
With the same Settings they Sound nearly identical. So this statement is not true at all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
XLN rc-20 retro color is my favorite.

Also rx950 and decimort 2.

The main thing I haven't seen reproduced well is transposition artifacts which are quite nice on some old samplers.
Thanks I hear nothing but good things about RC-20. The plugin reminds me of something Reason Studios would have.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretolearn View Post
Thanks I hear nothing but good things about RC-20. The plugin reminds me of something Reason Studios would have.
just got rc 20 i hope it does what i think it does
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Jake One uses his religiously, it's really cool how fast he navigates it. It's almost like an extension of his body.
Old 2 weeks ago
PHG
Lives for gear

I like what I make on the ASR-10. Sometimes I make a whole song on it. Sometimes I bounce the MIDI out to the MPC Software and finish the sequencing there.

You'll need to have room for it. And if you want to record it to a DAW, you will need lots of cables, an audio interface and patience to hook everything up. I don't like plugging/unplugging stuff constantly. So it took me a while to buy all the right input cables for sampling and output cables for recording.

I have it as my studio centerpiece, so I am able to keep it close to my audio interface with really short cables. I think it would be a nightmare to try to hook it up on the other side of a room.

Dealing with the proprietary files can be tricky. Saving and backing things up can be tricky. If you are like me, you won't want to rely only on floppy disks, so it takes some learning how to back the files up to a SD card or computer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search