The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Atlanta Sound - Avalon 737sp -> CL-1B
Old 19th November 2019
Here for the gear

Atlanta Sound - Avalon 737sp -> CL-1B

hey

since UAD just released the Avalon I wanted to ask of anyone has some starting points on what settings the Atlanta artists record like? i know a lot of them use the Avalon into CL1B chain but i’d like to know some starting points since my sound starts to crackle with my settings
Old 19th November 2019
Here for the gear

btw i have tlm102 running into it
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Addict

Well first turn off the compressor on the Avalon if ur going the the CL1B. On the CL1B do a slow attack and fast release with barely any compression, like 1db of compression maybe 3 at most.

When you say crackling it just leads me to believe ur not gain staging correctly rather than ur settings on the plugins.

But honestly, in my opinion, UAD/softube CL1B isn’t that great in comparison to the real thing. It’s one of those plugins they didn’t get right in my opinion. I tend to lean more toward the LA-2A for vocals.

Also maybe the VT-737 sounds nice but I’ve had good experience using the 1073. 1073>LA-2A sounds pretty good with the UAD plugs. I believe Drake uses that same chain with the hardware.

Then add more compression in the mixing process like an rcompressor or a rvox, something with a faster release than the LA-2A.
Old 12th December 2019
Here for the gear

I am confused. I wanna choose between Avalon m5 and Avalon 737. Mostly for vocals and acoustic guitar
Old 20th December 2019
Lives for gear

on the 737 turns the preamp gain up to about 1-3 o'clock but turn the output down to your desired level. Set your filter where you want. I go around 70hz.
Bypass the compressor. Engage eq and adjust to taste.
The thing about the Avalon is the Sovtek 6922 is a pretty sterile sound. Its a vanilla preamp and a lot fo them sitting around the ATL rap studios needed new tubes like 10 years ago and they sound even worse than they already did. When I hear someone say they used a 737 and thought it sounded bad, my first thought was... needed new tubes.

So we replace the tubes. Nos Telefunken, whatever you prefer but I wonder if the UAD guys just modeled the Sovtek tubes.

Cl1B, just look for the pencil marks on the unit. Move it to there. lol.
Or on a plugin, just go to male vocal preset and adjust threshold to taste.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
since UAD just released the Avalon I wanted to ask of anyone has some starting points on what settings the Atlanta artists record like? i know a lot of them use the Avalon into CL1B chain but i’d like to know some starting points since my sound starts to crackle with my settings
Start with everything set at zero, then depending on how dynamic your source sound, depending on the level it is, depending on how it sounds and depending on what you are putting through it, Depending on the arrangement, all the other instruments in the mix, depending on your personnel taste and how everything flows, and depending on 50 other variables, just dial in the sound that you want. the state of Atlanta doesn't have a one setting fits all for every vocal, instrument and mix you run through that strip.

There is no one setting for all, it all just depending so many things: If you are not surer what a dial or knob does with your effect, i advice you to learn it, so you can dial in any sounds you want with it

As far as your crackles, that could be clipping or over saturating something in your signal chain. So check all you gain stages and make sure to respect all of them

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search