The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compressing before controlling Proximity effect or after?
Old 18th November 2019
Here for the gear

Compressing before controlling Proximity effect or after?

I track close mic'd vocals without EQ or compression, and I usually reduce the proximity effect first (transparent EQs) and then control dynamics afterwards ITB. but I'd like to know what would be the old school approach in this regard because back in the day you had to track with compression just to get it right for the tape, but did you fix the proximity before the compression or after in the analog world in the tracking stage? Or was the proximity effect handled in the mixing stage?

Just curious.
Old 18th November 2019
To fix the proximity effect, i would tell the vocalist to get a little closer or a little further away form the mic. I would not try and fix ti with EQ.

That's just me. I like things to be as easy for me as possible, so i will coach the singer and have him or her in the right position form the mic to record the best sound for that song.
Old 19th November 2019
Here for the gear

A little further from the mic helps but introduces early reflections that I don't want. I like to add ER later on with algorithmic reverbs. I'm very meticulous about the space texture I introduce on dry sounds
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for snowflakes

My "rule of thumb" for this has always been to apply "curative", "correctional" or "remedial" actions BEFORE any "sweetening" or "polishing" actions.

In other words: "fix problems" first, and only then start with the "color" (or whatnot).

...No matter what "devices" I'm applying!
Old 22nd November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesarnsanchez View Post
A little further from the mic helps but introduces early reflections that I don't want. I like to add ER later on with algorithmic reverbs. I'm very meticulous about the space texture I introduce on dry sounds
To fix that, you need to find a better recording position for the mic and the person singing in that room and/or get more isolation/acoustical treatment.

Last edited by CJ Mastering; 23rd November 2019 at 01:48 PM..
Old 23rd November 2019
Gear Addict

I personally would never want to record vocals backed off the mic unless I wanted "that" sound. Easy to add room/reflection to a dry upfront vocal. Not easy to remove room/er from an off-axis, or just a bit too far away.
Old 23rd November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixHitz View Post
I personally would never want to record vocals backed off the mic unless I wanted "that" sound. Easy to add room/reflection to a dry upfront vocal. Not easy to remove room/er from an off-axis, or just a bit too far away.
Agree.

Do you know of any good sounding broad stroke hardware EQ for tracking vocals? something clean sounding, under 2k?
Old 23rd November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesarnsanchez View Post
Agree.

Do you know of any good sounding broad stroke hardware EQ for tracking vocals? something clean sounding, under 2k?
I personally use the 1073LB into the Avalon 737 which would put you over the 2K, but you can pick up a used 737 for about 1500, and just use the built-in pre

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search