The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
controll your License
Old 18th November 2019
Here for the gear
controll your License

I dont know if its the ride thread, pls put it right if you feel to :D!

So my question is, how do I know if an artist uses an expired license? For example the artist bought a basic mp3 lease which allows him unlimited distribution for non profit, and is allowed to sell 500 copies or get 5000 streams for profit. How do I know as a producer if I have like 20 basic licenses out there, if the artists have overused the license and should buy a new one to still use my instrumental?
Old 22nd November 2019
Lives for gear

I use the honor system myself. Especially with Hip-Hop.
Old 25th November 2019
Lives for gear

What @ eternalsound is the honor system?
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear
The answer is you really don't. The reality is that there's not even really such a thing as non-profit streaming. Pretty much all streaming now generates money; it's just whether or not people bother to collect on it (and unless it's a LOT of streaming, you are talking about a couple bucks worth or disappointment). This is kind of the joke of these beat licenses with these ridiculous restrictions. The reality is what ARE you going to do if you have a limit of 5000 streams (which is nothing - most people use a 100:1 ratio of streams to sales so that's like 50 copies sold) and you see someone on Spotify has 10,000 streams of your song??? Are you going to rescind the license? How are you going to get them to comply? Are you going to somehow get Spotify to take it down? The reality is that unless they are doing millions and millions of streams there's really no point in doing anything about it. This is why, as someone else said, you are relying on the "honor system."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search