The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old man time catching up with me as a hip hop producer
Old 17th November 2019
Lives for gear

Old man time catching up with me as a hip hop producer

I admit it as a....now 49 year old guy who produces beats every once in a while. I have no idea what is going on in music creatively.

I listen to chilledcow and maintain hope, because that station reminds me of music I used to make in the 90s.

I still record a fair bit of hip hop, but I have to admit, I'm ready to throw in the towel sometimes. I busted out the ASR10 tonight and it still sounds better than anything I have in a plug in.

What can I do, or who can I listen to, to maintain my love for making music?

Thanks for the advice to any one of you all. Much love.
Old 18th November 2019
Quote:
I admit it as a....now 49 year old guy who produces beats every once in a while. I have no idea what is going on in music creatively.
Forget about what someone else is doing. Just produce music that makes you happy.
Do not produce music in such a way, to only sound like what others are doing now.

Just do your own thing. This is what makes you have an 'original' sound, right?
Quote:
You answered it, thew 90's.
Quote:
I'm ready to throw in the towel sometimes.
I hear a lot of crap out there, but this doesn't make me want to give up. I just do not listen to it.
Old 18th November 2019
Lives for gear

If @ illynoise you have no idea and you have IG follow

snipeyoung

theletterlbeats

kevthesureshot

ryneasoul

brianbflatcook
Old 18th November 2019
If you like 90's Hip Hop (assuming you mean nice funk laden samples and tough beats) you might like to try something on my label - Paul Nice & Phill Most Chill - Fabreeze Brothers as it gets a lot of love from people that are looking for the 80/90's Hip hop sound.
https://phillmostchill.bandcamp.com/...reeze-brothers

Mods - apologies for the advertising if it's not the done thing around here.
Old 18th November 2019
Gear Maniac

CJ hit the nail on the head.

Why do a lot of people in this forum talk about, "This guy's beats" or trying to write like "That guy's beats"? Try writing a beat that sounds like YOU.

I listen to many genres of music but have tracks on Growing Up Hip Hop, Black Ink Crew, Love And Hip Hop, Grand Hustle, etc.

I actually write what sounds hip to me. I never think about what anybody else is doing. I actually don't even have the time to keep up with who is doing what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Forget about what someone else is doing. Just produce music that makes you happy.
Do not produce music in such a way, to only sound like what others are doing now.

Just do your own thing. This is what makes you have an 'original' sound, right?

You answered it, thew 90's.

I hear a lot of crap out there, but this doesn't make me want to give up. I just do not listen to it.
Old 18th November 2019
Gear Addict
Move on to jazz

Not joking
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Maniac

If you are talking to me, I love Jazz. Listen all the time.
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Head

49 isn't old, see BDK still doing it in 2019 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piw8TM8ZTnw
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Addict

Mike Dean is 54 years old. I remember Dave Pensado asked him what music will be like in the future and Mike replied it would be whatever he is doing, and proceeded to say he wants to bring the sounds of the 90s back.

Maybe he was joking and all, but there’s no denying that Mike Dean has a huge influence in modern hip hop music still to this day and he’s 54 years old. Keep doin what you love man.
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Head

funny i was feeling like everybody was coming back out... https://soundcloud.com/clockworkmusi...urn-of-the-don
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear

Couple of Ideas... (ASR10 nice) try a new instrument like new model D: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...og-synthesizer or behringer minimoog. Hearing new instruments always inspires me - even a cheap melodica.

I also like listening to the heart of the cutting edge music of today - like the center of Kingston Jamaica like chill hop here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIi99P3M_hQ or google sites for Islands or Africa etc. I like to stick to small geographical centers that have a history of the new sound.

Listening to great new creativity and sounds is what inspires me... A rut is a grave with the ends knocked out... try to knock out the sidewalls too and you will be free... and creative and living again. () peace/love hope! listen to Boombap's suggestion too - real deal.
Old 20th November 2019
Gear Head
Try listening to Apollo Brown, he does stick to a formula but it is a good one.
This is an album he did with OC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTwSmqKoVhg
Old 20th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey @ illynoise you check out the last Tribe Called Quest record? That and the last couple Kendrick Lamar records are bad as hell. Might seem like obvious recommendations and you probably know them already, but in case you don't, plenty of inspiration there.

Maybe check out Terrace Martin and Thundercat, too. Dope producers on the LA scene right now who are also fantastic jazz/funk/fusion musicians. Their own records are badass. Terrace has worked with a pretty crazy diverse array of artists... Herbie Hancock, Snoop, and Kendrick, for example. Pretty crazy. He's a genius.
Old 20th November 2019
Lives for gear

grizelda records is the new face of ny true school hip-hop. buffalo is officially the latest place to hold the torch. after ruling the underground for a few years em and jay signed them. what they are doing takes me right back to the 'early' boom bap days. the boom bap tracks on the new westside gunn hwh7 are goosebump inducing. the beats combined with the rhymes are greater than the sum of the parts, inspired and wildly unique

and then roc marciano. he somehow invented a style of rapping that is pure art, creative and entertaining. whenever he drops something the greats have a day on twitter about it. how did he reinvent himself at that age into something so fresh and brilliant is amazing. and how he further proliferated the drum-less dusty loop style is awesome(the raps that come about over these tracks are fresh and dope af)

ny hip-hop is still made the best by new yorkers imo. same for other regions like the bay area, miami, texas etc.
Old 20th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
grizelda records is the new face of ny true school hip-hop. buffalo is officially the latest place to hold the torch. after ruling the underground for a few years em and jay signed them. what they are doing takes me right back to the 'early' boom bap days. the boom bap tracks on the new westside gunn hwh7 are goosebump inducing. the beats combined with the rhymes are greater than the sum of the parts, inspired and wildly unique

and then roc marciano. he somehow invented a style of rapping that is pure art, creative and entertaining. whenever he drops something the greats have a day on twitter about it. how did he reinvent himself at that age into something so fresh and brilliant is amazing. and how he further proliferated the drum-less dusty loop style is awesome(the raps that come about over these tracks are fresh and dope af)
this!

westside gunn, conway, benny the butcher, roc marciano, ka, alchemist, ...
they brought back what i was missing for a long time.
Old 22nd November 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
this!

westside gunn, conway, benny the butcher, roc marciano, ka, alchemist, ...
they brought back what i was missing for a long time.
These guys are all dope and different compared to the main stream crap. I don't think I'd say the production is anything special tho?
They have a unique style and can spit for sure. I don't get inspired by the production, although I think it suits their styles.
Maybe that's just me.

Anyone listen to Clear Soul Forces? Those guys are nice.
Old 22nd November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post

I listen to chilledcow and maintain hope, because that station reminds me of music I used to make in the 90s.

I still record a fair bit of hip hop, but I have to admit, I'm ready to throw in the towel sometimes. I busted out the ASR10 tonight and it still sounds better than anything I have in a plug in.

You mentioned that you went back to the ASR-10 and you thought it sounded better. I feel like we have to have a certain connection with the gear we choose to use as it can inspire us to want to make music or it can be a source of anti-inspiration. For instance, the first sampler I started on was an SP-404. I eventually moved on to all sort of other machines, software, controllers, etc before realizing that I loved the SP-404, I had fun making music on it, I am inspired when working with it, and I like the music I make with it. It’s now part of a larger setup and sequenced externally but when I’m making a beat, I’m still at least 75% on that one box. This is Gearslutz after all so my point is that I’m not surprised an old piece of gear might have resonated with you more. Some people resonate really well with Ableton and some friends of mine are nuts on it. When you find things that work for you, keep it and weed out any other gear that may be hurting your inspiration someway.

Also what CJ said
Old 22nd November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tame1 View Post

Anyone listen to Clear Soul Forces? Those guys are nice.
Yo, thanks for highlighting Clear Soul Forces - just checked out Get No Better and it's dope! Don't know how that passed me by. The records are crazy prices though - upwards of £80 for a modern 45???

Are you 'the' Tame1 of Artifacts by any chance?
Old 22nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, Mike Dean is 54 that is great. Inspiration. I'm glad that I still have love for this at the moment.

All of the recommendations I will take. I really like what a lot of the younger producers are doing. The musical creativity far outweighs the lyrical ability IMHO. I mean there are many exceptions, but software has opened up so many creative options that it's like the comparison of: So many cable channels and nothing to watch.

There is something to be said about going back to one instrument and a turntable to sample from.
Old 23rd November 2019
Lives for gear

Hello from 50. I too barely listen to anything current except tangentially from my kids rooms; and the music I make is odd to them. But it is me, and mine. If i dont cringe at any point during playback then i believe the track is finished to world standard.
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

60 here. Dipping my toe into learning more about Rap/Hip Hop. Decided to primarily focus on the early innovators/pioneers first.

Including studying the great Reggae Toaster U-Roy, along with Kool Herc. The Reggae influence (ala Dub too) helps tie things together on a lot of levels for me.
The other Root that's now attracting me to quality Hip Hop, is Classic Soul... Like Issac/Curtis/Marvin.

That "Wild West" period of sampling-I can tell is a treasure trove of ideas to discover. Newbie here, but also relatively fresh minded as the trade off.

Encouraging to hear here, that 90's style Hip Hop is re-influencing the music of today. (I'll be listening even earlier too)
Great thread!
Thanks everyone, Chris
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

You need to forget about "Hip-hop" producer or any other labels you've saddled yourself with and just ask "What floats my boat?"

Maybe the answer won't be music if it isn't GO WITH IT. But if the answer is music, just not something you think people would care about....DOUBLE GO WITH IT!!!

You don't have to give two s%$ts about what's on the radio right now, you don't HAVE to do ANYTHING.

YOU just gotta be YOU, and when you are, you will be enjoying it! (Not all the time, sometimes there's hard work and slogging, but at the end of the day...and plenty of other times in the middle, you will be ENJOYING yourself"

Who knows? Maybe you want to start painting? Quit your job and move to Alaska? Learn guitar and start a noodling hair metal band? Maybe you want to do noodling hair metal hip-hop (Don't laugh, Ice-T did it)

But do what YOU want. And don't for one minute think you HAVE to do music, you may put it down for a while and come back to it, or maybe you have some genius record in you waiting to bust out?

As Jesus said: "Judge NOT according to this world but judge with righteous judgment"
and "Where your heart is, there your treasure will be"

To paraphrase: "F$%k em...Follow your love"
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
60 here. Dipping my toe into learning more about Rap/Hip Hop. Decided to primarily focus on the early innovators/pioneers first.

Including studying the great Reggae Toaster U-Roy, along with Kool Herc. The Reggae influence (ala Dub too) helps tie things together on a lot of levels for me.
The other Root that's now attracting me to quality Hip Hop, is Classic Soul... Like Issac/Curtis/Marvin.

That "Wild West" period of sampling-I can tell is a treasure trove of ideas to discover. Newbie here, but also relatively fresh minded as the trade off.

Encouraging to hear here, that 90's style Hip Hop is re-influencing the music of today. (I'll be listening even earlier too)
Great thread!
Thanks everyone, Chris
I have always found that the Kingston Jamaica area is a world trending hotbed. The forerunnings of Gospel Hop has been simmering there for some time... and voila a top gospel album breaks this year in Hop. The 50s (and 60s) foreshadowed hop and rap - pretty blatantly IMO. (along with the US disc jockeys) This is the place I look for much of the future trends, right now there is some pretty cool Reggae Rap coming out in spots. Not dissonant at all - up beat major chords blended with a Dance Hall feel. I am with you.
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

Chris
Old 25th November 2019
Lives for gear

If you're into 90s type of instrumental hip hop, you will like this guy's shizz:
https://phatventures.bandcamp.com/al...-for-your-mind
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4t0V...QGizU7hGMRZVLQ

His studio...all MPCs, SP, f9000, Emax, Studio 440:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B40dELGghuT/
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear
I thought everyone listened to 90s hiphop. Even today’s upcoming rappers have to study and reference those guys.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
I'll be back to normal "study mode", by this weekend.
Chris
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear
I'm 49 too, an old metal industrial producer. I find listening to some old Hip-hop gives me some new ideas.

Try listening to some old industrial, it might give you some too
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

I am 44 now and getting old. I dont produce and rap much anymore but do put out tracks once and a while. Ironically i am making the best stuff I have ever made. I got a lot of plays on YouTube for a red dead redemption track I did which was really surprising. I am trying to mix the boom bap style with 808s new sound.

The Snogoons are making their own market by making boom bap with older well know rappers such as onyx and doing really well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Lol, What is "Boom Boom Bap" anyways?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search