The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Did Dr. Dre (and 90s Death Row G-Funk producers) play his own bass or hire a bassist?
Old 17th November 2019
Here for the gear

Did Dr. Dre (and 90s Death Row G-Funk producers) play his own bass or hire a bassist?

21 Jumpstreet produced by Daz Dillinger - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7sU-My885g

Snoop Dogg - Doggyworld - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey0n7fHOwpk

Did they get these basses from whatever equipment they were using at the time? (and if so, how would I recreate this in Massive VST?) or did they hire a bassist? (and could I recreate this in something like Scarbee Bass by Native Instruments?)

I remember reading about Dre hiring live musicians but I wasn't sure if it was just to replay samples, or for basslines as well, in addition to guys like Daz, DJ Quik, and whoever was one the Death Row production roster also incorporating live bassists in their songs
Old 17th November 2019
Lives for gear

Not sure who played on those, but it wouldn’t be Dre. Mike Elizondo has been one of his main collaborators on bass.
Old 17th November 2019
colin wolfe
Old 17th November 2019
Gear Nut

A different synth than Massive, but this video might help you create a monophonic G-Funk synth bass with glide:

https://youtu.be/WDEa_8moAvI
Old 17th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuz2019 View Post
A different synth than Massive, but this video might help you create a monophonic G-Funk synth bass with glide:

https://youtu.be/WDEa_8moAvI
Thanks. I've got NI Monark so was just wondering if that would be better to use to achieve those basslines as opposed to Massive or a guitar bass plugin like Scarbee Jay Bass.
Old 17th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Not sure who played on those, but it wouldn’t be Dre. Mike Elizondo has been one of his main collaborators on bass.
i've seen his name pop up before. so he played a guitar bass (like Scarbee) or a Moog (like NI Monark)?
Old 17th November 2019
Gear Nut

Yes, a Moog emulation like Monark is an excellent choice for such synth bass sounds.
Old 18th November 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Mike Elizondo was still a college student during the G-Funk Era. He didn't begin working with Dre until he had already completely abandoned that sound.
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren1975 View Post
Mike Elizondo was still a college student during the G-Funk Era. He didn't begin working with Dre until he had already completely abandoned that sound.
True, so it was Colin Wolfe in the early 90’s. A point to be made is that Dre continued to use live recorded bass performances onward. Both Wolfe and Elizondo are credited with bass on his 2001 album. Live bass is where it’s at!
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear

Look up Stan the Guitar Man. Played Bass on early Ruthless stuff as well as early Aftermath stuff. I heard he has a studio out here in Phoenix.

When I was in school in 99, one of my instructors who was a bass player claimed he played bass on some Death Row stuff, mainly "Let's Play House" and some other songs on the Above the Rim soundtrack. His name was Ghery Fimbres.

Last edited by L-Fire; 19th November 2019 at 11:24 PM..
Old 21st November 2019
Lives for gear

From what I understand he has mostly had a team that he works with. "Dre" would be the company, so to speak, which would be my choice as well.
Old 22nd November 2019
Gear Head

I can't hear the bassline. But didn't dr. dre use sinus/saw waves to create that "gangsta bass" sound?

Like just another g thang, and what's my name.
Old 23rd November 2019
Gear Addict

The SE-1 was used in a ton of sessions.
Old 25th November 2019
Here for the gear

Colin Wolfe played bass and keyboards on The Chronic/Doggystyle. T money Green was on Doggystyle too
Old 25th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
Look up Stan the Guitar Man. Played Bass on early Ruthless stuff as well as early Aftermath stuff. I heard he has a studio out here in Phoenix.

When I was in school in 99, one of my instructors who was a bass player claimed he played bass on some Death Row stuff, mainly "Let's Play House" and some other songs on the Above the Rim soundtrack. His name was Ghery Fimbres.
How everybody else get credit on the song except him? I just assumed soopafly played the bassline on the moog
Old 25th November 2019
Mike Elizondo is that man
Old 26th November 2019
Here for the gear

From 2:12 -- he uses Trillian (guitar bass like NI Scarbee, etc.) to reproduce the Xxplosive bassline

https://youtu.be/yqbUe4Yvfm4?t=132
Old 1st December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyjones1989 View Post
How everybody else get credit on the song except him? I just assumed soopafly played the bassline on the moog
Welcome to the music industry.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search