The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
problem with certain frequencies on vocals
Old 14th November 2019
Here for the gear

problem with certain frequencies on vocals

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue with certain frequencies on my vocal recordings. Especially around 200-300hz range (even -6db is not enough) and they sound still honky/boxy. Another one around 1000k. There is just so much subtractive EQ that I have to apply that it messes up the vocal.

I have tried two different mics - NT2A, SM7B > presonus tubepre - scarlet 2i2

On both mics the issue was the same. My room is semi treated I usually have couple of reflection panels behind me and one behind the mic as well as SE reflection filter shield.

What could be the reason behind so much trouble in this area? Could it be that room I am using has very bad acoustics?

Thank you.
Old 15th November 2019
Gear Addict

Are you recording the same voice every time, or is this happening with different voices? If it's the same voice every time, that could mean that the voice you are recording just has those characteristics. Dynamic EQ could be the solution to that problem. If it is happening with different voices, and different mics, it is either your preamp, or you are hearing those frequencies as more pronounced because of your monitors or your room acoustics
Old 15th November 2019
Try a different position in your room.
Try not to have your face near any walls. Your back should be facing the walls.
Try not using the Tube pre. Its not that great anyways
Old 16th November 2019
Lives for gear

Guessing your in a square room at a house. Use a room mode calculator. It’ll show an idea ofthe buildups and gaps of frequency in a room.
Old 17th November 2019
Lives for gear

This would be another one of those cases where having an audio example would really help.
Old 18th November 2019
Lives for gear

If possible try an Electro-Voice EV 635a. That'll thin out that low end. Underated vocal mic BTW. Takes EQ really well too.
It's an omni, so you need to "eat" it close. Avoids proximity effect.
Chris
Old 19th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionaudio View Post
Are you recording the same voice every time, or is this happening with different voices? If it's the same voice every time, that could mean that the voice you are recording just has those characteristics. Dynamic EQ could be the solution to that problem. If it is happening with different voices, and different mics, it is either your preamp, or you are hearing those frequencies as more pronounced because of your monitors or your room acoustics
Hey mate.

Yes it is only one voice. Getting rid of the preamp and scarlett. gonna buy audient ID14. great suggestion with dynamic EQ!

Thank you.
Old 19th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Try a different position in your room.
Try not to have your face near any walls. Your back should be facing the walls.
Try not using the Tube pre. Its not that great anyways
Yes, I was close to the wall - great suggestion. Getting rid of the preamp. Purchasing audient id14 instead.

I have just noticed you do mastering correct?

Thank you.
Old 19th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkazarap View Post
Yes, I was close to the wall - great suggestion. Getting rid of the preamp. Purchasing audient id14 instead.

I have just noticed you do mastering correct?

Thank you.
Your welcome and yes I do

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search