The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why does heavy distortion/saturation start to remove low end?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Why does heavy distortion/saturation start to remove low end?

I dont know if this is the right sub forum that Im asking this question to,

But why is it whenever I start heavily saturating or using some heavy fuzz distortion that it starts making my sounds like a bass start to sound thin and lose a lot of low end?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Higher harmonics become louder than the lower fundamental frequency?
Old 3 weeks ago
For more control, you could always use parallel processing or the "mix" control if available.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
It depends on what kind of distortion you are using. In most cases, it's just because all the harmonics you are adding make the lows relatively weaker sounding. The fundamental is obviously going to be weakened by the presence of all the harmonics and that can yield less impact to the human ear.

For this reason if I'm distorting a sub-bass or an 808 (I'm assuming that's what you are referring to), I'll generally only do it in parallel. And as opposed to a wet/dry knob, I'll copy the track so that I can make other tweaks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I never use fuzz type distortion for bass: too heavy-handed.
Use a more general type saturation.

E.g., Ableton Live's Saturator is great because you can control what parts of the signal to roast and what to keep in tact.
Also Fabfilter Saturn allows you to not touch the sub but only mess with higher freqs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When most saturators fail, Saturn always works. Many times the saturation I place on the bus smooths out the low end. I always use a parallel sub kik track to help solidify the low end. Ozone's exciter is good for that as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search