The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Full on mix? Why?
Old 1 week ago
Full on mix? Why?

I don’t want to EQ and compress just because working in a DAW, I have complete access to it all so, should these tools be used ONLY when needed or start playing the track and go to town with EQ’in everything, every track?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I don’t want to EQ and compress just because working in a DAW, I have complete access to it all so, should these tools be used ONLY when needed
Yes, you always use what is needed. Why would you use something that is not needed?

I've never used something just because i have access to it. Use what is needed for that specific instrument track and mix.
Old 1 week ago
Gee
Lives for gear

For sure use things cause you need them but it takes forever to figure all that out, so go ahead and try a bunch of stuff and see what you like!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

why stop there?... what about reverb? delay? distortion? deessing? multiband comp? phase delay? parallel processing?

obviously only use processing that is needed... although knowing which to use and when/how to use it is where the experience part of engineering comes into play
Old 6 days ago
I watched on YouTube, a recording being mixed on the board. Live band, and the engineer just went from left to right EQ’ing and compressing every channel on the board. At least EQ’ing every channel. Now I’m not sure if this is because everything was live recording where things were recorded dry? I do electronic music, where a lot of things are samples and already processed? ?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
I watched on YouTube, a recording being mixed on the board. Live band, and the engineer just went from left to right EQ’ing and compressing every channel on the board. At least EQ’ing every channel. Now I’m not sure if this is because everything was live recording where things were recorded dry? I do electronic music, where a lot of things are samples and already processed? ?
Acoustic material tends to take a little more processing than programmed material to get just right. That said, the engineer may have also just been doing the most. A lot of times I'm not doing any compression on drum samples... leaving them completely untouched a reasonable amount of the time. Sometimes we just over think this ****.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Sometimes we just over think this ****.
And that’s EXACTLY what I’m thinking. I know I do it a lot. Smh.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search