The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC 2000XL Heads, need your help. Pad Sensitivity.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

MPC 2000XL Heads, need your help. Pad Sensitivity.

What's good?

I bought a 2000XL in good condition but the problem is that I have to hit the pads pretty hard to get good velocity values.

I checked the values in the PARAM menu and I can't get above 89 without violent force.

A light strike gets me 15 - 24 velocity.

When I hulk smash the pads I get to around 102 - 114.

To reach 127 I need to hit with an unholy amount of force that will probably damage the unit if done often.

Now, I can't groove like that.

Workaround is sampling hot into the MPC, turning the volume knob up on the MPC and my interface. That way I can play with regular force strikes and hear the sounds somewhat properly.

My question is: Is it normal for the sensors to be that insensitive or do they need to be replaced?

Can you check the velocity values in your unit?

What values do you see after a light, medium & hard strike? (Go to Program, PARAM, select the Filter and hit Open Window to see velocity values).

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

There should be a full level button on the top right side under the akai logo. Make sure that is on. Should solve your issues
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sometimes the pad sensor poops out, pads can ‘die’ out.... you can buy a replacement sensor, its pretty easy to replace, not expensive either last I did it
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgprod View Post
There should be a full level button on the top right side under the akai logo. Make sure that is on. Should solve your issues
No this won't solve the problem cause as far as I understand he want to play dynamicly.

+1 to INDEED. New padsensor is the way to go (you can also try to clean the sensorfoil and the bottom of the pads first but I don't think that it will help in this case)

peace
Old 2 weeks ago
Doesn't sound unusual not to be getting full velocity for live playing. You could play in live on full level and then manually tweak the individual note volume in the step editor to give you a live feel perhaps or set the volume of the samples lower and use at full level although none of this should be necessary. The 2000XL will take more of a hammering than the newer MPC's though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search