The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are the best modern Hip Hop and R&B reference tracks?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What are the best modern Hip Hop and R&B reference tracks?

I can't keep using the Thriller album to reference mixes, as music has evolved so much right now, the reference tracks need to become more current.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I can't keep using the Thriller album to reference mixes, as music has evolved so much right now, the reference tracks need to become more current.
If you're talking about commercial/Top 40, why not just check Billboard charts?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
If you're talking about commercial/Top 40, why not just check Billboard charts?

I just had a look at the billboard top ten. They're all nice mixes, but nothing that pops out as being such a particularly good mix that's worthy of reference status. I'm looking for good well balanced mixes like what Derek Ali did on Kendrick Lamar's 2017 album.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I just had a look at the billboard top ten. They're all nice mixes, but nothing that pops out as being such a particularly good mix that's worthy of reference status. I'm looking for good well balanced mixes like what Derek Ali did on Kendrick Lamar's 2017 album.
100% Dirty Sprite 2 by Future
mixed by Seth Firkson, all the beats bang and futures vocals are great, its basically still the sound of today on the radio
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I use ref tracks only to listen to the room. Can’t think of last time I ref’ed a different song other than listening to how their voice sounded on previously released material.

Use songs that you know VERY well. In the genre you working in and others that you just know.

I usually listen to some old mixes I did, ac/dc hell’s bells for exaggerated & normal low end.

Last edited by LeoLeoLeo; 4 weeks ago at 08:06 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search