The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Keeping the low end from being muddy
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Keeping the low end from being muddy

So I recently got an MPC Live and am getting into making beats. I'm having trouble keeping the bass and the kicks from muddying up the mix together? What can I do to prevent this? I know the which answer is find sounds that don't clash in the same frequencies. I guess that's where I don't know what frequencies are common for each of those? I'm trying to stay in standalone and not have to go to plugins if possible. Are there mixers or fx that are preferred for this? A lot of what I'm trying to do is 90s sounding hip hop so it's not really slamming drums or overpowering deep subs. I just need to be in the right ballpark to figure out how to work on the mix.
Old 10th October 2019
Look into complimentary eq techniques. Do that technique for placing each instrument in its own frequency field for all your tracks, not just bass and kick.

Also look into placing each instrument its own space as well, by making a 3D mix, not a 2D mix (left middle right). Place instruments back left, front left, back right, back center, front center, mid left, mid right and so on.. Reverbs, mid and side Eq edits, and panning techniques will get you there...
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Nut

There are lots of ways in achieving separation. CJ has mentioned a few. Look up ducking as it is a common method for alternating shared frequencies. Look at dynamic eqs or compressors with a well specified sidechain. It might be more helpful if you linked to the track in question. You'll get more focused responses.
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukan View Post
You'll get more focused responses.
Those responses also need to keep in mind that he is asking this question from the perspective of wanting to stay OTB with his MPC Live; so that should help to narrow things down a bit, at least in regards to what interal MPC plug-ins to use, and any additional outboard processing suggestions.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi pass filter on the low end of the kicks n bass and anything in-between. Takes alot of the mud out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Mother Ducker on MPC Live standalone.
Trackspacer vst if you decide to go in a controller mode.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Those responses also need to keep in mind that he is asking this question from the perspective of wanting to stay OTB with his MPC Live; so that should help to narrow things down a bit, at least in regards to what interal MPC plug-ins to use, and any additional outboard processing suggestions.
It is also helpful to know if it is being tracked out to a DAW and if not, what is it going through outboard. Some options don't apply across the board, but even ones that do would depend on you having that equipment, and some DAW techniques don't make too much sense in the outboard world, at least at the point you are at (like having many outboard compressors and EQ's when you are learning the basics).

That information would help a lot.

On a side note, I do recommend tracking/exporting your work out to a DAW. I think it is pretty easy on the Live but I just having worked with the newer series of MPC. I, at one point, decided to only use outboard samplers and synths, but still used a DAW to mix, or to have someone else mix. The reality is, as you do more, you kind of learn why it has taken over the industry, and why professionals are less likely to use outboard and consoles than many hobbyist are. I feel that if you think hardware equipment works great for you in creating, tracking to a DAW doesn't hurt that vibe, it is not needed to be done until the music is finished.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
It is also helpful to know if it is being tracked out to a DAW and if not, what is it going through outboard. Some options don't apply across the board, but even ones that do would depend on you having that equipment, and some DAW techniques don't make too much sense in the outboard world, at least at the point you are at (like having many outboard compressors and EQ's when you are learning the basics).

That information would help a lot.

On a side note, I do recommend tracking/exporting your work out to a DAW. I think it is pretty easy on the Live but I just having worked with the newer series of MPC. I, at one point, decided to only use outboard samplers and synths, but still used a DAW to mix, or to have someone else mix. The reality is, as you do more, you kind of learn why it has taken over the industry, and why professionals are less likely to use outboard and consoles than many hobbyist are. I feel that if you think hardware equipment works great for you in creating, tracking to a DAW doesn't hurt that vibe, it is not needed to be done until the music is finished.
Well, he mentioned being interested in mixer and outboard FX options, so one could assume that he wants to go the route of only having to print a 2-track mix if anything.

Printing individual tracks (or at least instrument group stems) into a DAW is a better (and practically a must) way to go if the OP ever intends on doing things in a professional capacity. If someone wants the track out for any of their beats, it wont be a fun day going back and trying to recall those outboard mixes because they didn't print anything aside from the stereo mix.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

for older hip hop, think more in terms of how rock music is mixed. You typically get bass guitar as the low mid, and the kick as the instrument with the lowest frequencies. For modern hip hop, the bass is typically sub bass, and the kick is typically the "knock" at around 60hz.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search