The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tips to mix/master like Griselda records
Old 23rd September 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Tips to mix/master like Griselda records

Hi all,

has some one any tips in order to achieve a mix/master like the guys from Griseda?

They sound dark but bright at the same time.

Example can find on YT but just something from some years ago:



Thank you!
Old 24th September 2019
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Anyone?
Old 24th September 2019 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMilk View Post
Anyone?
Is this the......Album of Year artist Black Milk?!
Old 26th September 2019
  #4
Quote:
Hi all,

has some one any tips in order to achieve a mix/master like the guys from Griseda?
how you mix, is determined on how your original tracks sound and how they were recorded.
How you master is determined on how the mix sounds

So i would have to have all your original recorded tracks and go over them and then mix them and then master them. It will be over 1,000 processes involved to tell you.......

So if anyone responds on how to do this, they will just be guessing, as it all depends on your original tracks you recorded
Old 26th September 2019
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Start with Daringer or Alc... sprinkle in Digging, ASR's, MPC's and Moog's.. and let Eddie Sancho do his thing... Machine is extremely particular when it comes to beats, due to enunciation challenges...
Old 27th September 2019 | Show parent
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_English View Post
Start with Daringer or Alc... sprinkle in Digging, ASR's, MPC's and Moog's.. and let Eddie Sancho do his thing... Machine is extremely particular when it comes to beats, due to enunciation challenges...
Lmao!!!!!


Naw man just keep it grimy. Get an mpc 2000 and a mackie VLZ pro mixer and an interface and have some fun!
Old 5th October 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMilk View Post
Hi all,

has some one any tips in order to achieve a mix/master like the guys from Griseda?

They sound dark but bright at the same time.

Example can find on YT but just something from some years ago:



Thank you!
volume distance between beat and vocal is larger than usual from my ears, meaning drumbeat / bass is a lot quiter.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Glad to see someone else asked about this! The mixes and final consumer released tracks sound absolutely amazing, dark and dirty yet sonically large. I’ve asked a number of my professional mixer friends about their mixes and while they can give simple answers, none of them know how to make tracks pop like this.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheGame View Post
Glad to see someone else asked about this! The mixes and final consumer released tracks sound absolutely amazing, dark and dirty yet sonically large. I’ve asked a number of my professional mixer friends about their mixes and while they can give simple answers, none of them know how to make tracks pop like this.
Definite generation gap lol!

Everything used to sound like this or better. The issue is Griselda, being a retro 90’s sound, is foreign to newer engineers that are used to mixing 808’s, and virtual synths in every song at the same tempo.

Going to have to go back and study nyc hip hop from that era. More 93/94 forward. Some of it may not have the nice distortion given that stuff back then was not pushed to the loudness ceiling but you can gain insight into the sound while A/B mixes and modernize it with today’s available tools.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
Sounds ****ty, pay $300 for a mix like this, I'ma do it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
From the video example I would say reduce the drums and bass volume until they're too quiet in the mix then run through any old 'master to cd' setting. Not a nice mix at all to my ears.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
Definite generation gap lol!

Everything used to sound like this or better. The issue is Griselda, being a retro 90’s sound, is foreign to newer engineers that are used to mixing 808’s, and virtual synths in every song at the same tempo.

Going to have to go back and study nyc hip hop from that era. More 93/94 forward. Some of it may not have the nice distortion given that stuff back then was not pushed to the loudness ceiling but you can gain insight into the sound while A/B mixes and modernize it with today’s available tools.
But 90's (and 80's) hip hop didn't sound poorly mixed. A classic from the early 90's:-

Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Here for the gear
 
Oscillator.'s Avatar
Low bit rate & sample rate is a big part of the 80 & 90's hip hop sound, a lot of samplers had 12 or 16 bit converters.
The low pass filters in those converters are a big part in producing the grainy sound quality that's prevalent in those records.
The easiest way to hear the sound of a low bit rate converter is in the hi-hats.
There are ways of emulating the low bit rate sound in the mixing process.

The mix balance of the Conway track
The drums are dull and thin there's not a lot of bass,
The keys occupy the mid range.
And the vocal balance is average in volume for a rap song.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMilk View Post
Hi all,

has some one any tips in order to achieve a mix/master like the guys from Griseda?

They sound dark but bright at the same time.

Example can find on YT but just something from some years ago:



Thank you!
Sorry to say this, but this mix sucks bro.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantastic View Post
But 90's (and 80's) hip hop didn't sound poorly mixed. A classic from the early 90's:-

Shoutout for posting one of my favorite tracks/anything DITC related! Damn I miss early 90s NYC.

-TKB
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher View Post
Shoutout for posting one of my favorite tracks/anything DITC related! Damn I miss early 90s NYC.

-TKB
Yes dude! Likewise a personal DITC fav.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
On some FrFr. I’ve been buying up mad gear..... and going back into my 10,000hr mode mixing and mixing and mixing.




Quote:
AyeYoPat! on Instagram: “Working on a CLASSIC with @knowlifemusic . #Mixing #Knowl



13 Likes, 13 Comments - AyeYoPat! (@killahtrakz) on Instagram: “Working on a CLASSIC with @knowlifemusic . #Mixing #KnowlifeExperiment #analog4life #boombap”
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
On some FrFr. I’ve been buying up mad gear..... and going back into my 10,000hr mode mixing and mixing and mixing.
Let us know the results very interested and curious.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMilk View Post
Let us know the results very interested and curious.
The results are more mixes coming my way and the analog vibes suites me best.

I’d be glad to chat with ya
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
The results are more mixes coming my way and the analog vibes suites me best.

I’d be glad to chat with ya
I’m curious, you have something on Spotify or YouTube that is possible to listen?

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #21
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantastic View Post
But 90's (and 80's) hip hop didn't sound poorly mixed. A classic from the early 90's:-

In the 80’s (showbiz ag) they weren’t trying to do Lo-Fi hip hop. That wasn’t an aesthetic they were trying to attain. Some of it may have sounded lo-Fi by the gear limitations. But they were trying to be as pristine as possible.

In the 90’s, Lo-Fi became a thing for some. I could post a few examples but I’ll just say anything Wu-Tang and early Mobb Deep.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
In the 80’s (showbiz ag) they weren’t trying to do Lo-Fi hip hop. That wasn’t an aesthetic they were trying to attain. Some of it may have sounded lo-Fi by the gear limitations. But they were trying to be as pristine as possible.

In the 90’s, Lo-Fi became a thing for some. I could post a few examples but I’ll just say anything Wu-Tang and early Mobb Deep.
Yes I know - I was posting as an example of something from the 90's that was not poorly mixed.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #23
Here for the gear
 

If you check on one of the last post on Instagram from Conway (https://www.instagram.com/whoisconway/) is interesting to see how far he is from the mic (Manley Reference C Black).
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #24
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
In the 80’s (showbiz ag) they weren’t trying to do Lo-Fi hip hop. That wasn’t an aesthetic they were trying to attain. Some of it may have sounded lo-Fi by the gear limitations. But they were trying to be as pristine as possible.

In the 90’s, Lo-Fi became a thing for some. I could post a few examples but I’ll just say anything Wu-Tang and early Mobb Deep.
That album isn't from the 80s, it's from 1992. As far as I know, Showbiz and AG never released anything in the 80s...
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump