The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Buying A Bass Guitar vs V Buying Good Bass Sampled
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Buying A Bass Guitar vs V Buying Good Bass Sampled

I don't know what it is but I can't seem to find bass sounds that I'm happy with. I'm mainly into making old school boom bap style beats. I'm not looking for anything crazy. I literally just want smooth beefy baselines. I'm thinking about just doing it myself. It's more to take up space but I'm torn. Are there any good bass sounds for the MPC Live? I prefer to work in standalone mode as opposed to tied to the laptop.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Borrow a bass from someone and sample it in the live. You don’t even have to be able to play it well, just record all of the notes adequately. Learning bass isn’t a bad idea either, though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Exactly what @ DStep ATL said. If you can borrow one, or find a decent one on Craig's List for cheap, buy it and play with it. It'll be fun, it'll be good for your ears, it'll give you a much more intuitive understanding of how to hear and write bass parts, and it'll be good for your musicianship overall. Every music producer in the world should be able to play some bass and some keys. It'll just make your whole musical life better!
Old 3 weeks ago
If you can play the bass and you know how to capture the bass sounds the way you want them to sound, then get a bass., There is no substitution for a real bass sound and performance. The mix will be better and more authentic with a real bass. Take it from me, a bass player for over 35 years...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I would reach for an actual instrument (such as a real bass) where possible.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Though I don't play bass, it is probably one of the easier instruments to pick up at a fundamental level (meaning you can play well enough to accomplish what you want, and be able to actually play it). Not to knock bass players, I know some of the best and that takes a lifetime.

However, there are a few other ways to achieve this. First, find a soundbank with bass loops. Either chop them up, or if already chopped, figure out how rearrange. For patches, you have way more flexibility but they may not be as "expressive" as sampling a loop, though you do get control of the expression, where as with a sample you do not. Play with pitch as well, I used to be into pitching samples before I recorded and loved the sound, but found it was a lot of work to pitch everything to be in global pitch with the sample. When I learned how to properly pitch my bass (a long time ago), I often would get asked to play bass lines over other peoples music and found what was once challenging, super easy with some practice, and made a little bit of money doing so, even though I wasn't amazing, I could understand translating a filtered bassline into something very similar with VSTi over MIDI.

As per the MPC, it would have no problem doing either. It doesn't even have to be multi sampled, you can often use one note and pitch that and it works. Reason I bring this up as a bass guitar won't solve wrong notes, or bad pitch. You can obviously tune your bass to the sample, but you can already do that with what you have. I would play around more with it. One major part of sampling is learning that no matter how well you rearrange a sample or reuse it, you are sampling great musicians and no matter how hard you filter, you may be left with some or a lot of the original bass still being there. If you don't learn how to play something, be it the bass, the keyboard, or spreading a sample around some pads, you skill won't match the melody, but it will also potentially conflict with bass notes in the original sample, even if the bass is filtered or not that loud. Bass is not just in subwoofers. Many ways to do this, I have 4 basic ways of creating bass lines myself without using an actual bass and then that decision isn't straightforward either. If I were you, I would just practice playing bass lines to music you like.

Not against you getting a bass, if you learn it, it is very useful, but not necessary and maybe excessive compared to just finding how to do it with what you have. Why I say "maybe" with excessive is that some people have to have the real deal to learn, other people can find work arounds, but you found a weakness. IMO, beat making is not about exploiting your talents but learning your weaknesses and improving on that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

smooth beefy bassline = bass player
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannas View Post
...I'm mainly into making old school boom bap style beats...
1. Low Pass Filter main sample if there's bass in it.
2. Sample a bass note and 16-pad it.
3. Simple, low passed sine wave patch on a Moog... any synth really.

But playing bass is a great idea. Fender P-Basses are a good place to start.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post

But playing bass is a great idea. Fender P-Basses are a good place to start.
Bang for the buck.. Fender/Squire Precision can be had new for under 200, and used for about 1/2 that. Some decent ones made in Japan. gl
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Though I don't play bass, it is probably one of the easier instruments to pick up at a fundamental level
Its not the easiest. Never assume when you do not know and as you know how what saying goes about assuming.

Bass is one of the hardest instruments to play. Guitar is a lot easier to learn Note (i play both and drums also)
1. Every instrument takes a lot of time to learn
2. The bass is bigger than a guitar
3. The stings are thicker, so you have to press down a lot harder then if you were playing a guitar.
4. The tension of the strings are also a lot tighter, since the strings are bigger. You need more muscles to play the bass than guitar
4. You need to have a great seance of rhythm
5. A band can squeak by with a bad guitarist, but never with a bad bassist.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Though I don't play bass, it is probably one of the easier instruments to pick up at a fundamental level...
Recording even the simplest electric bass part cleanly, with good time and no extraneous garbage, is really hard to do. And that's just the start of it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Let me clarify. I have played bass enough to make a bass line for my own music, but wouldn't call myself anywhere near proficient on the bass, but it took me less time to that than to relearn playing a note on a clarinet, or making a single note on a trumpet did. I am not claiming you will be an amazing bass player but it's an instrument you reasonably use on your own work without having to spend a year, or several years practicing. Playing live, playing it as a lead instrument, sure, playing a single bass line you will loop, no, some may get that far before in a week, most would in a month or two.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Recording even the simplest electric bass part cleanly, with good time and no extraneous garbage, is really hard to do. And that's just the start of it.
Yeah, until you play, you may not realize what it takes to control the sound of a bass. I'd still say it's easier than guitar because you're typically not playing chords, and there are less strings/notes. But not easy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah, but a cool loop snippet to run in a hip hop beat doesn't necessarily have to be clean from extraneous garbage, on the contrary, it can help. I am with you for 'actually playing bass in the studio properly', but we're talking about hiphop and if someone can't milk useful little snippets and short loops to throw into hip hop beats as samples out of a bass guitar, then they can't make a beat in the first place.

OP, just get a bass and milk it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
... it took me less time to that than to relearn playing a note on a clarinet, or making a single note on a trumpet did.
Right. Compared to something more upper-register and noticeable, with bass you can get up on stage with your friends' cover band and it'll be hard to tell how completely you suck. I think that's a big reason why so many bad bass players get so far.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
OP, just get a bass and milk it.
Not literally.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right. Compared to something more upper-register and noticeable, with bass you can get up on stage with your friends' cover band and it'll be hard to tell how completely you suck. I think that's a big reason why so many bad bass players get so far.
I am also making an assumption that if you are far enough in your skill set to consider bass for bass lines in beats, you probably already have a decent concept in theory, plus know your way around a keyboard, even if you are not excellent. I do think bass is an instrument that compliments what instruments someone who would make hip hop would already know as well. Trust me, I know some amazing bass players who aren't even in bands anymore. They fill in for more major groups who broke up or lost a bass player and travel the world off that, but also are amazing just as a solo player, or in a smaller group where they are the front man. I am not talking about the second half, where you can absolutely control the instrument to where you are proficient to do amazing things without accompanying instruments, I am saying just making some bass lines to go with your melodies on your beats and looping them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search