The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How many of you guys have owned a keyboard workstation?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1. Which one did you own?

2. How much did it cost?

3. Did you like it?

4. Do you still use it or have you sold it?

5. If you sold it... how much did you get for it?

I had Yamaha Motif ES6. It cost me $1,999.00. I remember before I bought it a couple other producers told me that the sequencer on the Motif ES was pain in the *ss and very hard to figure out. But I said f*ck it and bought one anyway. So... I get the Motif to the studio and... Man... the sequencer was easy as hell to work. It took me like 4 minutes to figure it out. I don't know why the Motif ES sequencer had a reputation for being so hard to figure out.

Anyway... the Motif ES was dope. It had dope sounds... a easy to use sequencer... the sampler was cool... and to this day I still haven't found a keyboard midi controller that has keys that feel as good as the Motif ES. I made a lot of dope songs on the Motif ES and the MPC 1000.

But then Native Instruments released the Maschine... which I bought because the pads on my MPC 1000 had stopped working and then I bought Native Instruments Komplete and from that point on all my music was made in the computer. I would still use the Motif ES for piano practice every now and then but overall I barely touched it. But for some reason I didn't really want to sell it.

So... years after never touching the Motif ES I finally broke down and sold it for a little under half of what I bought it for... $875.

Now looking back... I regret selling the Motif ES.

Answers to the questions.

1. Motif ES

2. $1,999

3. I liked it.

4. I sold it

5. $875

Who else has owned a Keyboard workstation?

Last edited by ASICE; 4 weeks ago at 03:29 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
1. No but a friend of mind had the Korg M1

2. don't know

3. Yes and no. It was fun to play play around with it but at that time I wasn't ready for it and I was more into sampling (and I still like sampling more). I also was used to the capabilities of Atari Cubase so the sequencer of the M1 was like WTF

IF I would have some money to spend I would love to buy the ASR10 or even the EPS16plus

peace
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASICE View Post

2. How much did it cost?

3. Did you like it?

5. If you sold it... how much did you get for it?
1. Ensoniq SD1
2. $350 used in 1991 (total steal!)
3. LOVED it. Still do.
4. Still use it.
5. n/a
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
1. Ensoniq SD1
2. $350 used in 1991 (total steal!)
3. LOVED it. Still do.
4. Still use it.
5. n/a
Damn.... you go it for $350 in 1991? Retail price was $1,999 when it was released in 1990! Was anything wrong with it when you bought it?

Ensoniq SD1
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Damn.... you go it for $350 in 1991? Retail price was $1,999 when it was released in 1990! Was anything wrong with it when you bought it?

Ensoniq SD1
Now that I think about it, it was 1992. I had gone to a pro audio store looking for a keyboard, but I couldn't afford anything they had. The sales manager showed me a sales list from another company out of state and pointed to the SD1 and told me to call that place and buy that one. I called a friend who was familiar with keyboards and he said, "does it work? If it does, just buy it. If you don't like it you can easily sell it for more than that." So I did. Best decision ever. It was in great shape, a couple scratches is all. Even had the manual and the factory floppies
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Owned an EPS16+, ASR10, MOTIF ES6, MPC2500(DRUM MACHINE/SEQUENCER). I liked them all and still have the Motif and ASR10 but I use software sequencers now-a-days.
Can't remember the purchase and/or selling prices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I sell more preamps and other things vs music related instruments, i dont sell those. i still have my triton, proteus, alesis , hell i even have my novtion nova. Always nice to turn em on and just go thru and listen.
Old 4 weeks ago
mp3
Lives for gear

I have had so many different workstations. Right now I have the Montage, Kronos, and Forte. But only because I gig... They all have different plusses and minuses but really the bottom line is the sounds. And eventually they all get old in that regard. I feel like nowadays the only real reason to have a workstation is for gigging. Unless you really love the keys in which case you can use it for a controller (since all the controller keyboards currently on the market suck keys-wise). I'm pretty much gonna keep a workstation in my possession for that one reason alone.

@ ASICE if you liked the keys in your Motif ES, that's the Yamaha FS keybed. They have been using those keys in all of their top-end keyboards since the DX7 up to the present day in the Montage. Also Korg used them in their top-end boards starting with the M1, all the way up to the OASYS 76. So there's a whole bunch of keyboards out there with those same keys, and some of them you can find relatively cheap like the Korg IS30 or the Yamaha W5. The only keys I like better are the ones in the ASR-10 (which is Fatar TP/8).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

2. How much did it cost?

3. Did you like it?

5. If you sold it... how much did you get for it?...

Who else has owned a Keyboard workstation?...
1. Korg Triton LE 88
2. Bought used in 2005 for $650
3. Yes
4. Still use it everyday
5. ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Owned the Kronos, Motif, Fantom , Jupiter 80 and a bunch of other keys.

Would i own them again. No!

Next purchase.

Yamaha Genos.

Why ?

I am a keys player but an arranger is a quicker way to a backing track and to work out a vocal
than anything out there and in any genre you wish.

The sounds coming out of these arrangers these days is quite good.

My 2 cents and YMMV.

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Back in the day I had (15-20 something years ago)

M1 - hated it, very limited (I wanted it to be a 01/W)
Roland RS5 - pretty good but overall felt a bit budgety with surprisingly good sounds for what it was, impressed by the sound preview button.
Triton LE - loved it! Tons of cool sounds and good feeling keyboard and pitch stick.

I used them mostly for practice and gigs at that point. Now Im more of a bedroom producer.
All of this was before I learned synths "for real". Now I have a Roland midi keyboard , Prophet 12 & a collection of soft synths.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Korg oasys
Korg m50 and m3
Roland fantom x6 and fa
Yamaha motif xs
Kurzweill pcx
Xp50

I loved it and I been moved on from them and all itb now. Mainly, because in the box producing is much faster and everything syncs better with my work flow. I still leave all them but they are collecting dust. Put up in storage.

Now flipping through some and hitting record and putting down ideas was faster, but then came the recording everything into the daw. Or syncing them up to use the sounds from other workstations just was a hastle.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yikes.

I have never owned a "keyboard workstation". Well exempt for the thing my dad bought me when I was 14...

Wayaayyy too limiting. When I was starting off I bought a good sampler, a good analog synth and a good digital synth.

And a Macintosh Classic to run Cubase.....
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Korg m3

Traded it for a trident summing desk, and some rack fx as I was working more in the box and engineering.

Now I have a modx which is basically a workstation as of this coming Tuesday with OS 2.0 coming out, minus sampling.

Love it. Who knows how long I’ll have it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Presuming gals can weigh in, too? I’ve owned several keyboards that I would consider to be workstations of one description or another.

Ensoniq EPS
I bought this one new shortly after release, replacing an original Emu Emax. What it lacked in warmth and character it made up for in polyphony and multi-timbrality, which was essential given where I was in learning the basics. I quite liked the sequencer and have fond memories of the instrument and the expressive poly aftertouch keyboard. I technically still own it but have it out on semi-permanent loan to a friend in another state.

Kurzweil K2000 and Successors
Would it suffice to say I replaced it with a K2500XS? Added various ROM expansions, RAM, external SCSI storage, and then KDFX when I had the chance? And replaced that with a Kurzweil Forte when it became clear that it wasn’t going to last forever? It’s hard to imagine not having a Kurzweil around at this point, serving as everything from idea scratchpad to master controller, to an almost endlessly flexible digital synth engine with killer effects.

In all cases, I paid a small discount under list as I bought them all new. I loved them all, and only got a decent amount for the K2000. So many years had passed when I sold the K2500XS that it was only worth a few hundred. Hopefully someone is loving it as much now as I always did.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Owned an EPS16+, ASR10, MOTIF ES6, MPC2500(DRUM MACHINE/SEQUENCER). I liked them all and still have the Motif and ASR10 but I use software sequencers now-a-days.
Can't remember the purchase and/or selling prices.
I never got a chance to use the ASR-10... Year Released: 1992. Retail Street Price: $1,999.

Boom Bap Heroes Vol.1: ASR-10

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post

@ ASICE if you liked the keys in your Motif ES, that's the Yamaha FS keybed. They have been using those keys in all of their top-end keyboards since the DX7 up to the present day in the Montage. Also Korg used them in their top-end boards starting with the M1, all the way up to the OASYS 76. So there's a whole bunch of keyboards out there with those same keys, and some of them you can find relatively cheap like the Korg IS30 or the Yamaha W5. The only keys I like better are the ones in the ASR-10 (which is Fatar TP/8).
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search