The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Refusing To Buy Instrumentals Wrong or Not?
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Refusing To Buy Instrumentals Wrong or Not?

Has anyone ever bought instrumentals? If so, what was your end game (e.g. releasing on streaming platforms, etc.) and if not did you find offline local producers depending on genre(s), etc. and how/where did you go about finding them (e.g. local shows depending on the city you're in and/or from, etc.)?

I understand that it takes money to make money (I'm willing to spend on mixing and/or mastering down the line) but just because some was spent is no automatic guarantee of ROI but I'm an adult artist whose interest is Hip Hop and I'm realistic about any personal goal(s) I have (feel free to ask me what they are) and it is because what I'm passionate about came later in life for me and I'm not someone who began music in the stereotypical early childhood and/or teenage years.

I don't rip popular industry instrumentals as that is a relic of the mixtape era. I try to find originals on YT that are not of the Trap variety. I have no prior musical educational background so self-producing is no ideal route for me and also as someone whose passion is writing/rapping I'd rather not split my time between attempting to learn producing and learning the ins/outs of writing/rapping.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Maniac

I've never bought instrumentals, sorry. I've made a couple but never sold them or anything. I have been playing drums though, in a local live funk rock band for the past seven years.

All the big names buy tracks, its just how the game goes. No one has enough time or talent to put together a hit record all by themselves, including the beats. From what I understand, you can either buy the beats, or become really close friends with a producer and work together. But remember, if your end goal is to make it in the music industry you have to work really really really hard. Lots of shows. Lots of promotion. Don't do drugs or drink. The ones who make it are the hard workers that are nice to the people around them. Either that or.... its who you know!
Old 4th September 2019
I've bought beats and sold beats. It's the right thing to do.
But if you don't want to buy a beat, look for the ones that are "commercial free" or producers that are willing to let you use them for free or collaborate with some and make them together, basically i'm agreeing with what HerbDelux says.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search