The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post molane and skrillex and their pristine high end.
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Post molane and skrillex and their pristine high end.

I noticed similarities with how post molane's vocal chops and skrillex's chops sound. I know how they make the chops but their vocals always have this pristine high end that is very smooth along with the reverb. Is the pristine and smooth high end they are getting to come out of the speakers coming from their processing? Or is it coming from just a great mic and good outboard and there is no getting around that?

Because currently I have a Slate VMS and I am finding the high frequencies to be really harsh. Is this just a problem that is unavoidable when it comes to low end cheap LDCs?

Notice how at 3:05 the chops and acepella at the end of the beat is amazing sounding by itself ---->

Notice this chop from and old skrillex song at 2:49---->

I know it has to do with the arrangement too as the tracks leave space for those frequencies to flow freely out the speakers but I am having trouble getting the high end that smooth with my slate VMS. I can get the chops right but even soled the high end is just really harsh even with stacking deessers and multi band processing it just sucks the life out the vox.

Not to mention that these vocals are also really loud but also really dynamic and clear which I don't know how they are doing that either....but I feel as if learning how they get the high end so smooth is a way to push the vocals louder because it won't pierce and hurt your ears with harsh frequencies.

If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 3rd September 2019
Multiband compression and limiters, many different stages of compression, exciters to add the sizzle, maybe parametric eq to boost highs instead of shelf eq.

Soothe can be a good plugin to tame the harshness (or a dynamic eq - eg tdr nova which is free!).

Maybe some parallel distortion too. The only tube I know sonically well is “Sunflower” by Post Malone, and to be honest the top end on the vocal there just sounds par for the genre - lots of sizzle, heavily compressed and limited, definite multiband compression to make it dense...
Old 3rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Multiband compression and limiters, many different stages of compression, exciters to add the sizzle, maybe parametric eq to boost highs instead of shelf eq.

Soothe can be a good plugin to tame the harshness (or a dynamic eq - eg tdr nova which is free!).

Maybe some parallel distortion too. The only tube I know sonically well is “Sunflower” by Post Malone, and to be honest the top end on the vocal there just sounds par for the genre - lots of sizzle, heavily compressed and limited, definite multiband compression to make it dense...
Thank you for your reply. I listened to your mixes and they are really good I noticed in your mixes the vocal has that polish too. I am going to demo and check out soothe I have been hearing alot of good things from it. Maybe it can help me out with my slate vms being kind of harsh.
Old 3rd September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMBEAU View Post
Thank you for your reply. I listened to your mixes and they are really good I noticed in your mixes the vocal has that polish too. I am going to demo and check out soothe I have been hearing alot of good things from it. Maybe it can help me out with my slate vms being kind of harsh.
Thanks!

Yes soothe is great

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search